53%
Denzel Washington - Glory
13%

Total votes: 32

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1989

Post by Precious Doll »

Either Danny Aiello or Martin Landau would have made very worthy winners this year. Funnily enough they both appeared in films by writer/directors and co-starred with them as well.

It would also prove to be the last good performance Marlon Brando gave. As for Denzel Washington, one of the worst winners in this category. Pretty much the same performance over and over again, the noble, oppressed underdog even when playing bad guys.

My choices:

1. Danny Aiello for Do the Right Thing
2. Martin Landau for Crimes and Misdemeanors
3. Nicholas Eadie for Celia
4. Hart Bochner for Apartment Zero
5. Dan Aykroyd for Driving Miss Daisy
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
MovieFan
Graduate

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1989

Post by MovieFan »

Denzel was a solid winner and does on the surface intensity very well but he doesn’t come close to Martin Landau’s haunting, subtle, more complex and textured performance as Judah Rosenthal in Crimes and Misdemeanours. I read a review once who perfectly described how Landau does a Jekyll and Hyde transformation a highly respected and rich figure in society and contrasts it with a darker and morally bankrupt one. There is another excellent opportunity to award Landau but he deserves to win here.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Supporting Actor 1989

Post by ksrymy »

Not exactly sure why Dan Aykroyd was nominated for this film. He seems to just have been caught up in the nine nominations his film received.

Marlon Brando was pretty alright in this Apartheid film. Nothing special at all though.

These last three men are pretty spectacular.

This is easily the only Oscar Denzel deserves (although he's also pretty spot-on in Malcolm X); however, this is the role that started the only role he'd play for the rest of his life. From here on out he's stuck to the "black-man-oppressed-by-the-white-man-who-has-to-be-quiet-and-humble-yet-fierce-and-fiery" role. I'd consider him as his Pvt. Trip is a fantastic military role in a movie I've enjoyed since middle school.

Danny Aiello is the only sympathetic character in the massively overrated Do the Right Thing. He has his shop burned down by an ungrateful employee and relies on said employee to do his job (though he never does efficiently). He deserves an Oscar alone for the scene where he tells Mookie how he considers him to be a son.

Then there's Martin Landau. Clearly a lead in the film but designated to support as he's most familiarly been in that category throughout his career. But his Jonah is the only person to whom I can present this year's Oscar. He works spectacularly with every cast member, especially Anjelica Huston. His dilemma is portrayed subtly which is respectable as most actors may have chosen for him to blow up at any given time.

Landau for sure.

My picks
4) Alan Alda - Crimes and Misdemeanors
5) Ossie Davis - Do the Right Thing

6) Denzel Washington - Glory
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”