Early 2010 Oscar Candidates

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think Mike Myers part in the film is nearly a cameo. Not Tom Cruise / Tropic Thunder "cameo" though. Smaller.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I'm really looking forward to The Wolf Man. Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Lynn Redgrave and makeup by Rick Baker. At least the makeup, and possibly the art direction, could be nominated.

Don't know how it'll be, but Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds has Brad Pitt and Mike Myers. Pitt has been nominated twice, while Myers (depending on his role and performance, of course) could break out. Just throwing it out as an out-there possibility.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

--Zahveed wrote:I'll feel like a jackass if it bombs though.

I'll feel like a jackass if it wins. So we're even.

I actually liked the short pretty well, but just thought it was an odd choice for a remake/expansion, and not the sort of thing that does well with Oscar.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860545
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

This is a bit further out than next year, I believe, but Keira Knightley is set to star in the film adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's 2005 novel Never Let Me Go, the plot of which I'll leave unspoiled for those who have never read it. Andrew Garfield, and Carey Mulligan are to co-star and filming begins next month.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--Okri wrote:
--rain Bard wrote:9 doesn't look like Oscar material to me. But I could be proven wrong.

For what it's worth, the short film it's based on was nominated for an oscar. I haven't seen it, though.

I have and I thought it was excellent. That's partly why I'm behind it so much. I'll feel like a jackass if it bombs though.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860349
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I have. It was clearly in the "not going to win" pile at the time. Though its lack of celebrity voices was an asset, imho. Anyway, the unwritten rules for the short category are not the same as the feature category.

9's animation may be technically excellent, and the feature may do well at the Annies. Its trailer tells me that if it gets nominated it will be the least kid-friendly nominee the category has ever seen. Something's going to bust that barrier eventually, and perhaps the style of animation puts it in a class that Waking Life, Paprika and Waltz With Bashir don't inhabit. But unless its story is better than the trailer makes it look, I don't think 9 is going to be the 1.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

--rain Bard wrote:9 doesn't look like Oscar material to me. But I could be proven wrong.

For what it's worth, the short film it's based on was nominated for an oscar. I haven't seen it, though.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860421
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

--Penelope wrote:
--Hustler wrote:Daniel Day Lewis again? Penelope Cruz? you know, early contenders selection doesn´t seem so atractive. I would like to see new faces a la Jenkins, Leo, Langella, Brolin.

Which is partly why I'm rooting for Emily Blunt (a potential Best Actress nominee for The Young Victoria) and Jérémie Renier (who could conceivably have 2 shots this year, Supporting Actor in Lorna's Silence and Lead Actor in The Vintner's Luck).

Since Margaret is going to be released this year, Anna Paquin has also some chances.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860436
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While Renier does look good in Lorna's Silence, the film is releasing fairly early in the year and will require solid studio push and critics awards to be any kind of contender.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:Daniel Day Lewis again? Penelope Cruz? you know, early contenders selection doesn´t seem so atractive. I would like to see new faces a la Jenkins, Leo, Langella, Brolin.
Which is partly why I'm rooting for Emily Blunt (a potential Best Actress nominee for The Young Victoria) and Jérémie Renier (who could conceivably have 2 shots this year, Supporting Actor in Lorna's Silence and Lead Actor in The Vintner's Luck).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Daniel Day Lewis again? Penelope Cruz? you know, early contenders selection doesn´t seem so atractive. I would like to see new faces a la Jenkins, Leo, Langella, Brolin.

Edited By Hustler on 1236105527
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

9 looks like Robots, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think it has more going for it than Up does, presently. That could very well be the crazy part of my brain talking though.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860409
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

--Snick's Guy wrote:I haven't seen any pre-Oscar buzz surrounding one of two Meryl Streep movies for 2009, that being "Julie and Julia".

This is a film I am really looking forward to, and hope it will land her 16th nomination (and maybe a third win).

Meryl turns 60 this summer, so she needs to nab her third award in the next ten years or so.

It was a great and funny book--a woman on a mission. No reason why Meryl shouldn't get another nomination and Amy Adams another.( Maybe this film will do it for the latter)

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860399
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

9 doesn't look like Oscar material to me. But I could be proven wrong.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260860385

Return to “2009”