"The Hobbit" is finally happening! - To go into production at MGM

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

As sad as I am to see Del Toro leave, it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise...

Peter Jackson may direct Hobbit

By TOM CARDY and MATT CALMAN - The Dominion Post

Sir Peter Jackson says he will step into the breach and direct The Hobbit himself if it becomes the only way to ensure the US$150 million (NZ$219m) film is made after the sudden departure of director Guillermo del Toro.

Wellington Chamber of Commerce has said that the film is worth "many millions of dollars" to Wellington's economy and further delays may mean the film does not start shooting until next year.

Del Toro announced yesterday he had quit the The Lord of the Rings prequel over frustration with repeated delays. He had commitments to other films and said his resignation was "the hardest decision I've ever taken".

"It was simply longer than anyone expected, the fans and the film makers," he told The Dominion Post at his Thorndon home.

"It was more a factor of the other commitments asking for a start [time] than The Hobbit needing a date to start."

Jackson and partner Fran Walsh, The Hobbit's executive producers, learned of del Toro's decision on Saturday. Jackson told The Dominion Post he was saddened by the director's departure, which was "amicable". Del Toro would continue as a Hobbit screenwriter.

Jackson met studio representatives yesterday to begin the search for a new director but wouldn't rule out directing The Hobbit himself if a suitable person could not be found.

"If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Bros' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore," he said. But stepping in as director would be difficult as he had signed writer and director contracts with Hollywood studios for two other films, with one likely to begin next year. "The other studios may not let me out of the contracts."

Del Toro, best known for Oscar-winner Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy, was hired in 2008, when the goal was for part one of The Hobbit to be released this year. Now the earliest likely release date is 2012.

"One of my best friends died about a year ago," del Toro said. "The main thing we have in common was at age 11 we read The Hobbit. We used to spend many, many afternoons talking about how great it would be to make The Hobbit into a movie. So it was very personal to me."

He had brought his family to Wellington and had bought two homes, including one he called his "man cave". But his commitment had stretched from three years to six to make the film.

The Hobbit backers are Time Warner subsidiary New Line Cinema and MGM, but MGM was heavily in debt and up for sale.
Ad Feedback

Jackson said he did not understand all the MGM issues, but it was co-financier. "They are in no position to do that ... I would imagine it has been a significant factor in the whole thing. I know it's been very frustrating for everybody."

More delays were likely to impact on Wellington's economy. When The Hobbit was announced in 2007, Wellington Chamber of Commerce said it would be worth "many, many millions of dollars" to Wellington and "hopefully this will ensure continued buoyancy in the [film] industry for at least several years to come".

While the film is not officially in pre-production, work has already begun including rebuilding the Hobbiton set in Matamata. Russell Alexander, who operates the Hobbiton Movie Set and Farm Tour business near Matamata where scenes from Jackson's Rings trilogy were filmed said he could not comment on the situation due to confidentiality clauses in contracts he had. He said it was "business as usual" with tours of the sets.

Jackson said The Hobbit's US$150 million budget was a ballpark figure, but it could be higher if it was filmed in 3-D.

Jackson said November was now the earliest start date for shooting, but it depended on finding the right director. "I just don't know now until we get a new director. The key thing is that we don't intend to shut the project down.

"We don't intend to let this affect the progress. Everybody, including the studio, wants to see things carry on as per normal. The idea is to make it as smooth a transition as we can."

THERE AND BACK AGAIN

The long road to The Hobbit:

2003: The Lord of Rings trilogy earns US$2.91 billion (NZ$4.2 b) at the box office

December 2007: New Line Cinema and MGM announce that Jackson and Fran Walsh will be executive producers of The Hobbit, a two-part prequel to The Lord of the Rings, to be largely shot in Wellington. Tentative start date on filming is 2009.

April 2008: Guillermo del Toro joins as director and co-screenwriter with Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

July 2009: Jackson says The Hobbit still technically has to get "the green light" from the studios and has no budget.

November 2009: MGM, US$3.7 billion (NZ$5.4b) in debt, is put up for sale.

March 2010: Del Toro says studios are considering making the film in 3-D.

April 2010: The 23rd James Bond film, another MGM project, is postponed indefinitely.

Last week: While promoting the film Splice , of which he is an executive producer, del Toro says he has been in a "tangled negotiation" with The Hobbit because of problems with MGM.

Yesterday: Del Toro quits as director.

REEL LIFE

Sir Peter Jackson has revealed to The Dominion Post that he has signed contracts as a writer and director for two new films – with work likely to begin on the first next year – but would not elaborate further.

Other known projects are:

The Adventures of Tintin – Jackson and Steven Spielberg are co-producing three movies. Spielberg has directed The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, due for release next year. Jackson will direct the second film.

Dambusters – Jackson is producer and Christian Rivers is director. Announced in 2006, some test shots have been done in the Wairarapa with scale replicas of Lancaster bombers, but there is no start date for filming. Jackson said Dambusters would move ahead once he found time to write a new draft of the script, based on drafts by British actor and film-maker Stephen Fry. Dambusters may be shot in 3-D. "That would be crying out for 3-D. It would be terrific."

Mortal Engines, based on the sci-fi book series by Philip Reeve.

His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade and Black Powder War, based on the Temeraire fantasy series by Naomi Novik.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

OscarGuy wrote:Some have suggested Alfonso Cuaron to direct, but a friend made a different suggestion that made a heck of a lot of sense: Neill Blomkamp. He's already worked with Jackson on District 9 and has a Best Picture nominee in his pocket already (more than Jackson had when he picked up LOTR)...

The CNN article on it, mentioned Tim Burton and I about had a heart attack.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. To be perfectly honest, Neill Blomkamp is the only logical choice for me.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Some have suggested Alfonso Cuaron to direct, but a friend made a different suggestion that made a heck of a lot of sense: Neill Blomkamp. He's already worked with Jackson on District 9 and has a Best Picture nominee in his pocket already (more than Jackson had when he picked up LOTR)...

The CNN article on it, mentioned Tim Burton and I about had a heart attack.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Guillermo del Toro Drops Out of The Hobbit

It looks like the long and turbulent history of trying to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit to the screen has hit another bump in the road as director Guillermo del Toro, who has been working on the script and preproduction for the planned two films with Executive Producer Peter Jackson for close two years, today announced that he was dropping out as director. This was done as a statement to TheOneRing.net which follows:

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming "The Hobbit," I am faced with the hardest decision of my life. After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I've been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Executive Producer Peter Jackson added:

"We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone's control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I've ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo's strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA."

"Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished. New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work."

The two statements seem fairly self-explanatory, but it's a shocking decision in the light of del Toro's recent statement on the project being on indefinite hold until the issues with MGM's ownership are resolved. The news is especially surprising considering how long del Toro has been in New Zealand already working on the project, forsaking numerous other projects which he hoped to direct after finishing Hellboy 2: The Golden Army two years ago. Jackson on the other hand seems confident they can find another director and keep things rolling forward, although the first movie has already been pushed back an entire year and there seems to be no end in sight for a resolution to the status of MGM, who owns the rights to "The Hobbit," part of which kept Peter Jackson from making that movie after his hugely successful "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Deadline has added more to the story, essentially confirming that Peter Jackson wouldn't step into the director's chair himself with a quote from Jackson's manager Ken Kamins:

"Peter has and has had obligations and commitments to other films that would make it impossible for him to direct The Hobbit at this time, even if it was offered, which it hasn't been. "I've been quietly working on setting up a film for him to direct while Guillermo would have been directing The Hobbit. What you saw in their respective statements must be taken at face value. All of that said, Peter and Fran's commitment to The Hobbit is total and they will do everything necessary to protect the franchise and the investment made by New Line, Warners and MGM."

Stay tuned for more developments on this highly-anticipated project if and when they arise.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm beginning to think that there's not going to be a casting announcement today because it would've happened already.

Please tell me that the "Big Announcement" that WB has been touting for weeks wasn't the LOTR trilogy being released on Blu-ray on April 6th. That would definitely suck if it is.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Martin Freeman is the fan favorite and has been for over a year. Honestly, I'd be shocked if he wasn't even considered.

I'm not sure who they're announcing today. I've been checking both TheOneRing.net and lordoftherings.net throughout the day. I wonder how much longer this is going to take.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Thank goodness. You know who I think would actually be a good fit for the role? Martin Freeman.

But he probably isn't even in consideration for the role.

And what cast members are they announcing? Just Bilbo or a bunch of people?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Well, it's a false alarm. But I guess we'll know more later today, since the casting announcement is expected anytime now...

Sorry, Spidey Fans: Tobey Won't Be Playing The Hobbit
By Katey Rich: 2009-12-15 06:34:25

We excitedly told you just yesterday that Tobey Maguire was suddenly in the running to play Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming movie version of The Hobbit. Well, it really only took a few hours to turn that rumor down. Movieline chatted with Maguire's publicist, who emphatically stated that, absolutely not, "“This is false!”

Well, I guess that answers it. The folks over at The One Ring also got an update from an anonymous source saying the rumor is false. I guess the Latino Review team has some explaining to do, given that they're the ones who broke the story. But really, just add it to the pile of endless Hobbit rumors from the past four years.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I loved McAvoy in the TV series Shameless but am yet to be convinced by his movie performances. Hugo O'Conor would have been my choice as Bilbo - a wonderful and somewhat Hobbit-ish actor - although he's probably not well known enough to have even registered as a possible contender.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Whether he was good in the '90s and early part of the decade and good now are two different things. Look at his Spider-Man co-star whose simply gotten worse over the years. I don't care if he's a good actor, he's Spider-Man. I'm sick of hearing his name because he's awful in that series.

I think James McAvoy would have been a better choice, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'm with you, rudeboy. I think Tobey's one of the very best actors of his age group. In addition to the terrific performances you mentioned, he was wonderful in The Good German.

That said, I really couldn't care less about The Hobbit movie. Read it as a teenager. Liked it. Moved on.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Maguire was wonderful in The Ice Storm and Wonder Boys and fine as Spider-Man. He seems as good a choice as any, and better than some of the names which have been kicking around.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That would suck. Maguire's barely an actor...I don't want Spider-Man playing Bilbo.
Wesley Lovell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Exclusive: Could Spider-Man possibly be rocking Hobbit Feet?

El Mayimbe here…

With the announcement this weekend that casting of "THE HOBBIT" film is about to start, what’s up with the role of Bilbo Baggins?

Fan speculation has been running rampant for the past year. First it was rumored that James McAvoy was a contender until Peter Jackson debunked that rumor.

Then Daniel Radcliffe was making the rumor mill until he personally said, “Thanks. But no thanks.”

I recently got a tip that during promoting the film BROTHERS at the Four Seasons in New York last month, Tobey Maguire was having a conversation and was asked which director he would like to work with next?

Tobey’s answer?

“Guillermo del Toro”

Know what else Tobey said?

"We may have something here in the near future.”

Really?

Could Peter Parker be playing Bilbo Baggins?

I checked with agency sources and yep, it’s true!

Apparently, we’re in the early stages of talks between CAA and the producers of the Hobbit film for Tobey to topline the film as Bilbo Baggins!

Again, right now it’s that – just dialogue taking place between the respective parties.

Tobey hasn’t been cast and an offer hasn’t been made. It’s just talks.

It’s no surprise to me because that is what mega agencies like CAA do. They hunt for the biggest roles for their biggest clients. Tobey’s agent at is the president of CAA.

Even I was skeptical because wait a minute, wasn’t Spider-man 4 and 5 supposed to shoot back to back?

I did my due diligence and according to a source inside Sony, Spiderman-4 and 5 IS NOT SHOOTING back to back.

So technically speaking, Tobey is available after shooting Spiderman 4 which is slated to begin shooting Winter 2010. The first Hobbit film is slated to start shooting mid-summer 2010.

If you think about it, a star like Tobey Maguire would make sense and provide a comfort zone for the WB because both The Hobbit films are going to be very expensive.

I just don’t see the WB greenlighting a mega tentpole like The Hobbit films with a complete unknown toplining.

As it stands, The Hobbit hasn’t been greenlit by the studio. Jackson and Del Toro have been personally footing the bill for the development and the pre viz of The Hobbit.

Here is the wildcard: next month’s auction of MGM assets. MGM owns half The Hobbit rights.

In just a few weeks we will know who will retain those rights.

For this story, I tried to find out who might get those rights come next month, but I was stonewalled at every juncture.

Even trusted sources at studios were paranoid at violating the iron clad non-disclosure agreements sent out by MGM to prospective bidders.

So it’s wait and see.

From a marketing standpoint, think about how cool it would be to get a Hobbit teaser trailer in front of Spider-man 4! Slam dunk if you ask me.

So stay tuned as more develops.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Well, it's old news that they aren't making a bridge film anymore, but are instead splitting the novel up into two parts. Aragorn would've only been 8 years old during the events of The Hobbit.

I would've liked to have seen more actors from LOTR return, however. While we don't exactly need Gimli back, it would've been cool if John Rhys-Davies had agreed to play one of the dwarves. But as he said a few weeks ago, they already did offer him a role as one of the dwarves and he turned it down due to the fact that he'd already played Gimli in LOTR.

But they could easily have included Arwen, Legolas, and Saruman. Arwen and Legolas could've figured into the Rivendell and Mirkwood scenes, respectively, and Saruman could've been included in the White Council scenes from the Appendices. Saruman could still be a character in the films, but from the looks of Jackson's statements, Christopher Lee wouldn't be portraying him again. I know that Christopher Lee has said that he wouldn't be comfortable traveling to New Zealand at his age, but I was holding out hope that they would film his scenes in London. Oh well.

Edited By MovieWes on 1260471612

Return to “2012”