82nd Oscars - Best Actress

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 82nd Oscars - Best Actress

Post by Big Magilla »

Trouhy family responds.

In a nutshell, they say they tried to adopt him but were told they couldn't adopt anyone over 18 but could apply for conservatorship so he could play football. The son also says that Oher did not just learn this last February but has been threatening to sue for several years if they didn't do this or that. Family says they did not benefit from the film, but the writer did and shared $14,000 per family member including Oher. They go to say that Oher really wants money from the sale of senior Trouhy's business for $2 million.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tu ... r-AA1fgZMh
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Rough week for Bullock. Her partner died last week.

Not to take anything away from Oher. Poor guy.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Let's hope he gets something out of the suit.

Ordinarily I would think it would be a hard sell but with her public utterances that the family adopted him, either it's clear fraud or she herself thought conservatorship and adoption were the same thing. In either case, it would seem to me that they owe him big time.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Years after the fact: not only was The Blind Side a largely crappy film, it may well have been a fraud masking outrageous behavior.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/381 ... m-proceeds
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:I guess the main reason I'm not terribly upset at the Bullock victory is that I had no strong rooting interest for any of the other nominees in this race. I would have voted for Streep, but none of these nominated performances is one for the ages.
I don't disagree with your general take -- whoever won best actress this year wasn't going to be one for the highlights book -- but I still think honoring a lackluster performance in a bad movie is a decisive step on the down-o-lator that will be regretted.

Okri, as I implied, those various measures of movie popularity are dubious; I was just looking for some vague way to survey the landscape. I did notice, looking at that Rotten Tomatoes page, that Blind Side has a fairly wide disparity between all critics and "top" critics -- its 70% declines to 58 with the latter. Which may tell us something about the film's cultural chasm -- dismissed by northeast know-it-alls like myself, but more embraced by smaller cities and towns.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Using Rotten Tomatoes, The Blind Side is at 70 whereas The Reader is at 61.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

ITALIANO wrote:
taki15 wrote:The same people who think Berlusconi is a competent and serious leader?
Actually by those who don't, tacky15 - he's one of Berlusoni's most vocal opponents, and a left-wing supporter. Italy is more complicated than you can imagine, my dear.

I don't know what Benigni would make of the term "intellectual" applied to himself - yet he is: a major expert on Dante Alighieri (this was a Medioeval poet) and Italian literature, a nominee for the Nobel prize for Literature, and more generally a very well-educated man.

P.S. I wasn't referring to your official age... there are other aspects, too.
Well, if that's the case then good for him.
Too bad that what we get from his movies is instead a bumbling buffoon.

On to more serious discussions...

Mister Tee, I wanted to contact you too and ask about your wife (I hope she is all well by now). But as you mentioned things have been kind of crazy during the last six months here. This is our biggest national crisis since 1974, courtesy of our inept and corrupt conservative government which was ousted last October.

There are of course the obligatory protests and strikes but the people as a whole understand that our country is on the brink of bankruptcy and are swallowing hard and accept these tough measures.

Don't worry, we will survive again, like we do for the last 3000 years. And as Obama announced yesterday, a month from now there will be no more visa requirement for us to travel to the US. So maybe I will visit your neighborhood pretty soon.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:I guess the main reason I'm not terribly upset at the Bullock victory is that I had no strong rooting interest for any of the other nominees in this race. I would have voted for Streep, but none of these nominated performances is one for the ages.
I agree.......and Streep should win a third Oscar for a performance that is ''one for the ages''.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I guess the main reason I'm not terribly upset at the Bullock victory is that I had no strong rooting interest for any of the other nominees in this race. I would have voted for Streep, but none of these nominated performances is one for the ages.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

First, to dws, I don't know how to resolve our quite different views of how Blind Side was reviewed. Not that it's definitive, but I looked up MetaCritic and saw it rated a 53 -- on a par with The Book of Eli and Alice in Wonderland, films I don't expect to see at the Oscars next year, and a few points below The Reader, at which most of us quite rightly sneer. And as far as Bullock's personal notices...they were kind, but if she showed up in any critics' balloting prior to the whoring Broadcasters, I missed it. Berry, Theron and Hunt, however they're disparaged here, all scored in at least one important critical vote prior to the Hollywood stage of the awards fight.

As to the more general topic...I think your take is right, BJ, that popular starlets appear to be held to a looser standard than serious actresses. It's almost an affirmative action program for the lightly talented. To mix metaphors a bit, if folks like Bullock and Berry can manage one clean ski down the beginner's slope, some will instantly push them for the gold -- while the Pfeiffer/Close/Weaver crew work the tougher slopes and find it hard to even get people to watch them.

And I do think that in some specific cases this double standard has put some people on the winning list and kept other, better talents off. Glenn Close is Oscar-less for numerous reasons, but among them is the fact that voters in 1987 decided Cher simply had to have an Oscar -- and, though her movie was a whole lot better, as far as an acting stretch, she was close to Bullock territory. And now, of course, Bullock has directly seen to it that Meryl Streep's Oscar total is kept at one lead, one support. And Julianne Moore lost once to Kim Basinger, who fits the pattern you cite.

By the way, let me throw in that if Bullock had given a performance on the level of the one she gave in Infamous and won, I'd be considerably less unhappy. I'd still probably think it was an over-reward based on popularity, but I wouldn't find it indefensible like I do this.

Your comment on the contrast with the best actor slate is interesting. I think best actor has (almost) always tilted older -- back in the 70s, when it seemed Nicholson, Hoffman and Pacino would never win Oscars, it was because they kept losing to the old guys (Wayne, Lemmon, Carney). Best actress seems to work the other way around.

taki15, I've actually been meaning to contact you and ask how you're enduring the upheaval in Greece. How insane are things?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Original BJ wrote:Or a Best Actress slate with these ladies: Judi Dench, Ellen Burstyn, Sissy Spacek, Diane Keaton, Julie Christie, Meryl Streep. Also seems impossible?
The good news are that next lineup in that field seems to be more than interesting: Benning and Moore in Cholodenko´s film.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

taki15 wrote:The same people who think Berlusconi is a competent and serious leader?
Actually by those who don't, tacky15 - he's one of Berlusoni's most vocal opponents, and a left-wing supporter. Italy is more complicated than you can imagine, my dear.

I don't know what Benigni would make of the term "intellectual" applied to himself - yet he is: a major expert on Dante Alighieri (this was a Medioeval poet) and Italian literature, a nominee for the Nobel prize for Literature, and more generally a very well-educated man.

P.S. I wasn't referring to your official age... there are other aspects, too.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

ITALIANO wrote:
taki15 wrote:I doubt he was ever "respected" as an actor either.
He was popular and well liked thanks to his personality.

P.S. Your insults are getting stale. Try to refresh your repertoire.
He's VERY respected as an actor and as an intellectual, tacky15, and please don't ask me what "intellectual" means now, look up on the dictionary please.

P.S. I will always answer to your little attacks, my dear - even if you are only 15.
Very respected by who?
The same people who think Berlusconi is a competent and serious leader?
His friends and relatives?
His Facebook Fan Club members?

And intellectual is an even less apt word to describe Benigni than respected. I'm pretty sure Benigni himself would recoil if he ever heard anyone call him an "intellectual".

P.S. Apparently I have discovered the secret of eternal youth since I haven't grown up a day during the last five years. At least in ITALIANO's bizarre mind.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

taki15 wrote:I doubt he was ever "respected" as an actor either.
He was popular and well liked thanks to his personality.

P.S. Your insults are getting stale. Try to refresh your repertoire.
He's VERY respected as an actor and as an intellectual, tacky15, and please don't ask me what "intellectual" means now, look up on the dictionary please.

P.S. I will always answer to your little attacks, my dear - even if you are only 15.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Original BJ wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I did want to add one last bit...

Looking back over the past decade or so, it's amazing to compare the lists of Best Actor and Best Actress winners. . . Jeff Bridges, Sean Penn twice, Daniel Day-Lewis, Forest Whitaker, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Jack Nicholson. . . Sandra Bullock, Marion Cotillard, Reese Witherspoon, Hilary Swank twice, Charlize Theron, Halle Berry, Julia Roberts, Gwyneth Paltrow, Helen Hunt. . .

Imagine a recent Best Actor slate with the following men: Matt Damon, Will Smith, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Gosling, Heath Ledger, Brad Pitt. Sort of seems impossible, right?

Or a Best Actress slate with these ladies: Judi Dench, Ellen Burstyn, Sissy Spacek, Diane Keaton, Julie Christie, Meryl Streep. Also seems impossible?

Kind of interesting.

Somehow this entire post made me think of one word: boobs.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”