82nd Oscars - In Memoriam

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I really do not get the adoration for John Hughes. My apologies to his fans here. I've outgrown his later screenplay-only kiddie works (the Home Alone movies). I've seen only Sixteen Candles (which was just okay for me), Uncle Buck (which is kind of meh for me) and Curly Sue (which I hated) plus parts of Weird Science (which I never cared to see the rest of, I changed the channel after about half an hour). Based on what I've seen, I feel very little desire to see any of his other works. They all look kind of dated to me.

I think Freaks and Geeks is better.

Edited By anonymous on 1268296751
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Dorothy McGuire.
Richard Todd.

Stars.

Oscar Nominees.

Who cares?

OMG JOHN HUGHES DIED!!!!!!!!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:But, I also think that Bea Arthur should have been included. It would be like saying Lansbury's time on stage and television should exclude her from the Academy's tribute when it occurs because most people don't remember her in very many films....

Angela Lansbury is a 2-time Oscar nominee so she will most likely be included when the time comes.

Correction: She's a THREE time nominee.

Gaslight (1944)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Edited By Reza on 1268293520
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:But, I also think that Bea Arthur should have been included. It would be like saying Lansbury's time on stage and television should exclude her from the Academy's tribute when it occurs because most people don't remember her in very many films....
Angela Lansbury is a 2-time Oscar nominee so she will most likely be included when the time comes.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wouldn't call it an apology. Who cares if she was mostly a TV actress...if she was an AMPAS MEMBER, then obviously her film work was sufficient. I happen to think her performance in The Apostle is brilliant, easily surpassing her co-star's work.

But, I also think that Bea Arthur should have been included. It would be like saying Lansbury's time on stage and television should exclude her from the Academy's tribute when it occurs because most people don't remember her in very many films....
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Academy Apologizes for Farrah Fawcett Snub
By Stephen M. Silverman

Wednesday March 10, 2010 06:30 AM EST

It was no oversight. The executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has apologized to the friends, family and fans of Farrah Fawcett, who was conspicuously omitted from Sunday night's Oscar-event tribute to Hollywood personalities who had died over the past year.

While some agents and publicists, besides actors, were included in the memorial, Fawcett, a high-profile star better known for her TV work (and yet still appeared on the big screen), was not. Neither was Gene Barry – who was seen in both versions of War of the Worlds – or Bea Arthur.

Among those criticizing the Academy for its selective omissions were critic Roger Ebert and Oscar-winner Jane Fonda.

In response, the Academy's Bruce Davis, who was responsible for the "in memoriam" segment (and has been since the tradition began in 1993), said late Tuesday: "There's nothing you can say to people, particularly to family members, within a day or two of the show that helps at all. They tend to be surprised and hurt, and we understand that and we're sorry for it."

Davis, who also says he stands by the decision about Fawcett's absence, had considered including her, but ultimately felt her "remarkable television work" would be more appropriately honored at the TV academy's Emmys (which she was). He also noted that several notable screenwriters were not included in the tribute.

Oscar-winner Tatum O'Neal, whose father Ryan O'Neal was Fawcett's longtime companion, also issued a statement Tuesday. It said: "On behalf of myself, my father Ryan O’Neal and my entire family, we are deeply saddened that a truly beautiful and talented actress Farrah Fawcett was not included in the memorial montage during the 82nd Academy Awards. We are bereft with this exclusion of such an international icon who inspired so many for so many reasons. Beautiful, talented Farrah will never be forgotten by her family and amazing fans."

Davis defended the tribute's inclusion of Michael Jackson, who was better known for his musical accomplishment than for his screen work, because the late pop star was the subject of a successful feature documentary last year.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Interestingly, Farah Fawcett co-starred with Jeff Bridges in two movies (Somebody Killed Her Husband and See You In The Morning). She was also in films directed by Robert Altman and Alan J. Pakula. So she was much more than just a TV actor. And she was a true icon, deeply emblematic of the late 1970s. She should have been included.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

USA Today 3/9/2010

Ryan O'Neal says he can't believe the decision by the Academy Awards to omit Farrah Fawcett from the "In Memoriam" segment of Sunday's show.

"It was a terrible decision and very hurtful," O'Neal tells Radar Online. "Farrah was a member of the Academy for over 40 years and we could not believe she did not get a mention." Patrick Swayze, Michael Jackson and Brittany Murphy were included in the segment.

O'Neal says he watched the show with daughter Tatum, and they plan to protest. "Both Tatum and I were very upset and we intend to write a letter to the Academy to try and get an explanation for this oversight on their behalf."

Leslie Unger, a rep for the Academy, tells Radar that "unfortunately we don't include everyone." She told E!, it was "not an oversight."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Even the Baftas ignored Richard Todd so it's not surprising they ignored him as well, though any actor nominated for an Oscar ought to be included IMO no matter how long ago his or her nomination was.
I agree.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's because they limit the number of decedents they recognize to 35, up from the 25 they recognized the year Dorothy McGuire whose rude exemption first brought notice to this shameful practice.

Most complaints seem to be about the absence of Farrah Fawcett and Beatrice Arthur, but that's because most people know them from television not the movies. Both, however, made more movies than Michael Jackson who was included.

Robet Mulligan died in December, 2008 and Cladue Berri in January, 2009. Both were remembered last year (I think!) Even the Baftas ignored Richard Todd so it's not surprising they ignored him as well, though any actor nominated for an Oscar ought to be included IMO no matter how long ago his or her nomination was.

If they had to single one person out, it should have been former Academy President and actor extraordinaire Karl Malden, not John Hughes.

I like that they included Robert Anderson's most famous line, though, Deborah Kerr's "when you talk about this, and you will..." from Tea and Sympathy. Given how tacky the segment was overall, though, I wouldn't have been surprised to see and hear Jay Robinson as Caligula screaming at Jean Simmons: "then go into your kingdom!" as he condemns her to death in The Robe.

James Taylor was a distraction.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1268087687
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Others omitted were Richard Todd, Gale Storm, Brenda Joyce, Harve Presnell, Olga San Juan, Claude Berri and Robert Mulligan.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It's "In MemoriAm" anyway. Latin.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Damien wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Why listen to the lyrics? It's James Taylor singing The Beatles! Pure awesomeness!!
Then why not have him seem "Why Don't We Do It In The Road"? It would have been no less appropriate.
Could you imagine? That would be very surreal.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Damien wrote:Looked like a cowboy actor.
Monte Hale
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Why listen to the lyrics? It's James Taylor singing The Beatles! Pure awesomeness!!
Then why not have him seem "Why Don't We Do It In The Road"? It would have been no less appropriate.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”