82nd Oscars - Best Actress

bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

I thought Sandra delivered a mighty fine performance in Blind Side and agree she gave a beautiful gracious speech - with a touch of cheekiness referrring to the great Streep as a great kisser.

I also thought she was terrific in Miss Congeniality, While you were sleeping, Hope floats, 2 weeks notice, 28 days and even in Crash.

Haven't seen Infamous but people have told me that she was great in it and the film was better than Capote (which I thought was so so).

I also believe if she were to win an Oscar then she should have won it for supporting actress for Speed!

I can see that film a dozen times and I just love her performance in it.

My only gripe is that she won for a very good perfomance whereas Meryl delivered another excellent one.

Sorry for being pissed about this - I just thought the Academy were gonna honour to 60 year old actors (Bridges and Streep) this year not only for their individual performances - both excellent - but also their body of work to date.

I truly love Sandra as an actress - and for her beautiful down to earth personality - but I really feel Merryl was robbed tonight!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

There's something wonderful about a performer you adore winning recognition, so I hope everyone will just chill a little and let Van Helsing enjoy a vert special time for him.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Great speech. Still not convinced I should see this movie.
"How's the despair?"
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Thanks aplenty Damien!

And here's wishing to Hawke's first Oscar ASAP! :;):
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't think she deserves to win based on her performance but I have to say she did give a great, gracious speech so it's tough for me to hate her.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

bettestreep2008 wrote:shouldn't the awards be given to the BEST not the most POPULAR or the one that best reflects POP CULTURE???
Oh, you are naive aren't you? We're talking about the OSCARS.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Damien wrote:I don't like her performance in The Blind Sight, but I do very much like her work in The Blind Sight,
Eh?
Whoops LOL Replace the second Blind Sight with Infamous. It's been a long day. :D
bettestreep2008
Graduate

shouldn't the awards be given to the BEST not the most POPULAR or the one that best reflects POP CULTURE???

Sadly I think the only way Meryl will win another Oscar is a consolation lifetime achievement award.

You'd think that the fact Meryl has worked with probably EVERYONE in the Kodak theatre - there might have been a little love for her this time around!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:I don't like her performance in The Blind Sight, but I do very much like her work in The Blind Sight,
Eh?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Congratulations, VanHelsing, and I hope you revel in a special night. I know how I'd feel if Ethan Hawke won an Oscar (although I rather dread it because I can imagine the snarky backlash).

I don't like her performance in The Blind Sight, but I do very much like her work in The Blind Sight, and anyways, I always expect the Oscars to be a barometer of pop culture history more than a litany of great works in cinema. So I'm fine with her victory. It seems right for the times and she did give a lovely, and very moving, speech. For great cinema, you can look at my year's favorites (or my gang's awards, the IRAs). But this Best Actress award is perfectly fine given the parameters of the Oscars.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

bettestreep2008 wrote:This was posted by Randomdude over at Goldderby;-

"Congrats-in-advance to future Best Actress winners Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, Miley Cyrus, and Rumer Willis."

He left out Paris Hilton, Heidi Montag and Snookie from Jersey Shore!

Sorry guys - LOVE Sandra Bullock but she joins an illustrious group of first time actress winners who will NEVER be nominated ever again;-

Helen Hunt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon and now Sandra Bullock!

What the hell does Merryl need to do to win her SECOND Best Actress Oscar???

To paraphrase Sally Field's acceptance speech

Meryl "They DON'T like you, they really DON'T"!
Most of them are a bunch of nuts over there.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Best Actress Nominees for 2010;-

Miley Cyrus - The Last Song
Annette Benning - The kids are alright (her 4th)
Julianne Moore - the kids are alright (her 5th)
Hilary Swank - Betty Anne Waters (her 3rd, 2 wins)
Meryl Streep - The Ice at the bottom of the world (her 17th, 2 wins)

wouldn't it be a hoot if Swank wins her 3rd oscar - making her the SECOND MOST HONOURED ACTRESS in Academy history!

Behind Katherine Hepburn - but ahead of Bette Davis, Jane Fonda, Sally Field, Jessica Lange, Merryl Streep, Olivia De Havilland, Vivienne Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Whatever you think about Bullock's win you have to admit that she gave one of the best speeches of the night.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Snick's Guy wrote:I am trying to think back. When was the last time someone won Best Actress at the Oscars without being named previously by a single, reputable critic or critic's group prior to the Golden Globe winner being announced?
Loaded question. Ask a legitimate one next time please.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

This was posted by Randomdude over at Goldderby;-

"Congrats-in-advance to future Best Actress winners Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, Miley Cyrus, and Rumer Willis."

He left out Paris Hilton, Heidi Montag and Snookie from Jersey Shore!

Sorry guys - LOVE Sandra Bullock but she joins an illustrious group of first time actress winners who will NEVER be nominated ever again;-

Helen Hunt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon and now Sandra Bullock!

What the hell does Merryl need to do to win her SECOND Best Actress Oscar???

To paraphrase Sally Field's acceptance speech

Meryl "They DON'T like you, they really DON'T"!

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”