Most Likely Cringe-Worthy Moment For The Show

Most Likely Cringe-Worthy Moment For The Show

1:  Ben Stiller stays on stage way too long with another failed attempt at humor.
36%
2:  One of the buddies introducing a lead acting nominee makes a crude sexual double entendre reagarding his or her relationship with the nominee.
No votes
3:  The In Memorium segment is cut so short that, at the end, there are sounds of people asking, "Where was (so and so)?"
7%
4:  During the John Hughes tribute, one or more of the Bratpackers is noticeably drunk/high.
7%
5:  Sarah Palin is brough out as a "surprising friend of Oscar!"
21%
6:  Other.  Specify.
29%

Total votes: 14

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:I'm crossing my fingers for a surprise win in the Best Actress category... I really do not want to see neither Bullock nor Streep taking the award for these performances...
Me too. If Streep doesn´t make it, I´m rooting for Sidibe
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I'm crossing my fingers for a surprise win in the Best Actress category... I really do not want to see neither Bullock nor Streep taking the award for these performances...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

For me, and this is not in jest, it's going to be if Avatar wins Best Picture... unless Cameron wins Best Director before that. This tripe winning a BP Oscar overshadows any other broadcast embarrassments that may or may not happen. It would be a travesty as monumental as "Gladiator" winning, although admittedly not on the level of "A Beautiful Mind".

As for the show, my biggest dread is that all the horrible ideas in theory that Shankman has planned for the broadcast are likely going to come across as not so bad in practice. Our hearts will sink when we see each bad idea executed well, guaranteeing a permanent fixture for future broadcasts, much like the 10 BP nominee slate. "Blind Side", "District 9", "An Education", "A Serious Man", and "Up? You couldn't have asked for a better alternate five, one that pleases the widest spectrum while camoflauging its misguidedness. And that luck will carry over into a perfectly acceptable broadcast, thus prolonging the numerours transgressions for Oscar seasons to come.

I don't think there was any real disparagement of the other Best Picture nominees in Cameron's statement, but it reeks of sickening self-interest. It's hardly a "I'll be willing to forgo Best Director for my good friend and life-partner of 18 months" sentiment. It was a public offer, an effort to salvage Best Picture which he knew was slipping away in exchange for BD.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:For her part, Bigelow hates to be called a woman director. She thinks of herself as a director, period.
I noticed that. She seems to sidetrack the question or quickly change the subject every time an interviewer brings up how wonderful it is that a woman might actually win Best Director.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For her part, Bigelow hates to be called a woman director. She thinks of herself as a director, period.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Damien wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:No wonder Hollywood and his many wives find Cameron impossible to be around.

He's actually on good terms with his ex-wives.

All four of his ex-wives descripe him as controlling, Linda Hamilton apparently hated him so much she sold the rights to THE TERMINATOR franchise (which she won in the divorce) just to spite him, and he has a reputation for being abusive to his cast and crew that is second only to Lars Von Trier. Kate Winslet said she could not work for Cameron again due to his temper, and of course many other actors have made similar comments. Sure, he has his defenders, but the general consensus of those who work with him is that he is a jerk.

Whether they are on good terms with him or not, his ex-wives say he is not the nicest of guys and has a massive ego. When I hear him saying he thinks the Academy should give Bigelow the award because she has worked so hard in Hollywood and the Academy has never given it to a woman before, I hear his massive ego wanting people to think his "blessing" is what got her the Oscar. I think he truly has respect for her and THE HURT LOCKER, but do not tell me the man that declared himself "king of the world" does not really want that second director's Oscar. He is just trying to ease the pain of his inevitable loss.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1267805015
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's one. I know they aren't performing the nominated songs...but Miley Cyrus is going to be there? I have a feeling she's going to be singing something (watch it be Over the Rainbow or another famous Oscar winner...or even a montage of songs). Or, perhaps they'll have her sing excerpts of the nominated songs to make the songwriters happy...it would be atrocious, I know, but... I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

anonymous wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
anonymous wrote:I don't get all the James Cameron hate. Despite the fact that I do think he IS a bit of an asshole and an egomaniac, I think his rooting for his ex-wife is a nice gesture in his part.
The way he is saying it is so patronizing.

Could you imagine if during the MILLION DOLLAR BABY vs THE AVIATOR Oscar competition Clint Eastwood kept going around to anyone who would listen saying, "You know, Marty Scorsese made a really good movie this year. I already have an Oscar, so for me, I think it would be great if Marty won for director while MILLION DOLLAR BABY won Best Picture. I really think my team should be recognized, but with director it is really win-win no matter who gets it that night. So I think they should finally recognize Marty for his amazing career, but recognize my team for all the work they put into MILLION DOLLAR BABY." ???

No wonder Hollywood and his many wives find Cameron impossible to be around.
I think he's being honest, not patronizing.

OF COURSE, he wants Avatar to win Best Picture. Regardless of what you personally thought about it, Cameron really did work hard on the film and it would be nice for him and his team to be recognized with a Best Picture Oscar (like all the other people who worked on the Best Picture nominees will be rooting for their own film to win Best Picture). Besides, he didn't disparage the other nominees when he said that. If he had said, "Well I think The Hurt Locker's kind of stupid. But if it would be nice to say I banged the first chick Best Director Oscar winner so you know, why don't you guys give it to Kathy and give us Best Picture? Boo-yah!" then maybe I'll agree with you.

I think you just want to find something to hate about James Cameron no matter what he says.
Ah, isn't it great it's always sunny in lala land.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Ben Stiller or whichever ham hogs the spotlight this time. There's always at least one. At the Baftas it was Dustin Hoffman.

The presenters job is to present. Seldom is the banter between co-presenters or lone presenters and themselves remotely funny or interesting.

The presentations to the actors by their "friends" may top even that, especially if it's awkwardly followed by last year's opposite sex winner presenting the award.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
anonymous wrote:I don't get all the James Cameron hate. Despite the fact that I do think he IS a bit of an asshole and an egomaniac, I think his rooting for his ex-wife is a nice gesture in his part.

Could you imagine if during the MILLION DOLLAR BABY vs THE AVIATOR Oscar competition Clint Eastwood kept going around to anyone who would listen saying, "You know, Marty Scorsese made a really good movie this year. I already have an Oscar, so for me, I think it would be great if Marty won for director while MILLION DOLLAR BABY won Best Picture. I really think my team should be recognized, but with director it is really win-win no matter who gets it that night. So I think they should finally recognize Marty for his amazing career, but recognize my team for all the work they put into MILLION DOLLAR BABY." ???

I think he's being honest, not patronizing.

OF COURSE, he wants Avatar to win Best Picture. Regardless of what you personally thought about it, Cameron really did work hard on the film and it would be nice for him and his team to be recognized with a Best Picture Oscar (like all the other people who worked on the Best Picture nominees will be rooting for their own film to win Best Picture). Besides, he didn't disparage the other nominees when he said that. If he had said, "Well I think The Hurt Locker's kind of stupid. But if it would be nice to say I banged the first chick Best Director Oscar winner so you know, why don't you guys give it to Kathy and give us Best Picture? Boo-yah!" then maybe I'll agree with you.

I think you just want to find something to hate about James Cameron no matter what he says.

Edited By anonymous on 1267768243
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

The Original BJ wrote:I think the potential Best Actress outcome could be far more revolting than any of these.
True maybe, but to be completely honest Bullock has been gracious, witty and rather likeable during her winning streak this season. Personally I'm much more ready to cringe at another gushing speech by Mo'Nique (isn't that girl meant to be 'edgy'?) or another dry, drawling ramble by Christoph Waltz.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rolotomasi99 wrote:No wonder Hollywood and his many wives find Cameron impossible to be around.
He's actually on good terms with his ex-wives.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't get all the James Cameron hate. Despite the fact that I do think he IS a bit of an asshole and an egomaniac, I think his rooting for his ex-wife is a nice gesture in his part.

I think the potentially most cringe-worthy moment of the show is the planned John Hughes tribute. I'm already designating that moment as my bathroom break.

Edited By anonymous on 1267723369
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I will cringe every time the producers cut to Kathryn Bigelow whenever AVATAR wins an award or cuts to James Cameron whenever THE HURT LOCKER wins.

The biggest cringe-worthy moment will come when Bigelow wins for director, and James Cameron makes a big show of being the first to standing for her assured standing ovation and clapping the loudest all while having a smug look on his face like his "vote for my ex-wife for director" campaign is what won her the award. :angry:

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”