Unseen 2009 Oscar Nominated Films

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I haven't seen anything new since the Oscars, but before that I did catch up on a few. This is my new list:

An Education
The Secret of Kells
A Single Man
The Last Station
Sherlock Holmes
The White Ribbon
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Just saw The Last Station. Nothing spectacular, but not horrible either. Helen Mirren and Christpher Plummer are sufficient but I think others deserved their spots. The score was sometimes very enjoyable.

How many Oscar-bait movies can James McAvoy star in before he gets the attention his agents are so desperate for him to get?
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I can cross two off my list...

Up...I'm giving it a C. I enjoyed the first half, but I found the second half boring and unnecessary. Would have been a worthier short film.

The Messenger...Probably will make my BOTTOM 10. I don't think I've ever rolled my eyes that many times. It's a shame that the screenplay knocked out other worthier films, as I found it to be rather cringe-worthy. I wish Ben Foster would stop acting right now, as I have never seen him do anything interesting in any movie. Woody Harrelson does nothing to deserve a nomination. Samantha Morton was the only thing about it worth mentioning, but her non-nomination is OK by me.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

My vote would have gone to Tom Cruise for Magnolia. He actually was an actor in that movie. And he was magnetic.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Plummer should've won for The Insider.
Nope. This was one of the rare times the Academy got it right. The great Michael Caine deserved to win for his beautiful performance in The Cider House Rules.

Plummer was merely amusing in his impersonation of a media asshole.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Plummer was good, but I actually preferred Max von Sydow in Emotional Arthmetic. Both were nominated for Genies.

This was a Canadian film, which like most Canadian films, never got a fair shake outside of the country. It had one festival showing in the U.S., then went straight to video as Autumn Hearts.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Plummer should've won for The Insider.
I thought he was also great in Emotional Arithmetic which sort of just dissapeared into oblivion although lesser films relentlessly hang around on screens.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The year Coburn won there was no clear favorite. With Waltz winning virtually every precursor there's little likelihood he will lose.

Plummer should've won for The Insider.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The Last Station is still in theatres.

It's currently playing at a mini-plex in San Francisco with the crappiest auditoriums and little screens that I haven't frequented in years.

The good news, though, is that films that play there generally open in a week or two in a much better theatre near where I used to work. I'm hoping it opens there on Friday - they haven't posted their playlists beyond Thursday.
Was curious about the performances of Mirren and Plummer in the film.

I wonder if Waltz were not on the list would Plummer win? Maybe he could pull a James Coburn on Oscar night.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Last Station is still in theatres.

It's currently playing at a mini-plex in San Francisco with the crappiest auditoriums and little screens that I haven't frequented in years.

The good news, though, is that films that play there generally open in a week or two in a much better theatre near where I used to work. I'm hoping it opens there on Friday - they haven't posted their playlists beyond Thursday.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The Messenger finally has a DVD release date - May 25th, which seems like an awfully time to wait for a DVD release of a major Oscar nominee that has long been unavailable in theatres.
What about a DVD release date of The Last Station? Magilla have you seen it?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Messenger finally has a DVD release date - May 25th, which seems like an awfully time to wait for a DVD release of a major Oscar nominee that has long been unavailable in theatres.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Wow, lack of time and finances have really hurt my run here:

- The Blind Side
- An Education
- Precious
- A Serious Man
- Up in the Air
- Crazy Heart
- A Single Man
- Invictus
- The Last Station
- The Messenger
- The Lovely Bones
- Nine
- In the Loop
- Coraline
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- The Princess and the Frog
- The Secret of Kells
- Paris 36
- The White Ribbon
- Bright Star
- Coco Before Chanel
- The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
- The Young Victoria
- Il Divo

But I will see most of these before Oscar night! I will find a way.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Not too much to see...

The Messenger
The Last Station
Fantastic Mr Fox
Up
The Secret of Kells
Coco Before Chanel
Il Divo
Paris 36
Bright Star
The Princess and the Frog

All Docs, Shorts and Foreign

Last Station and The Messenger come next week. I was going to see Fantastic Mr Fox today (its only at one budget theater here in Milwaukee) but I got lazy. I rented Up (uggggg) along with Trucker today, but I'm going to watch Trucker first. White Ribbon comes in three weeks.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Burma VJ and China's Unnatural Disaster are both availabe on youtube!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”