Happy birthday, kaytodd!

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Very late, but happy birthday!
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Happy belated birthday!
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Damien wrote:Really nice birthday post, Todd, and I can identify, I'm several years older than you, but am also so glad that I was alive during the turbulent 60s and especially that I got to witness Civil Rights legislation being passed. It was a great time to grow up.

I hope you had a wonderful New Orleans-style celebration today.

And bear in mind what I told everyone when I turned 50: 50 Is The New 10!

We had a rather quiet birthday observance yesterday. We are planning a more elaborate celebration next Sunday to hopefully celebrate a Saints victory in the Super Bowl (or a second Super Bowl ring for NOLA native Peyton Manning).

And the last line of your post is right on the money, Damien!

Edited By kaytodd on 1265028571
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Happy birthday VERY belatedly!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Really nice birthday post, Todd, and I can identify, I'm several years older than you, but am also so glad that I was alive during the turbulent 60s and especially that I got to witness Civil Rights legislation being passed. It was a great time to grow up.

I hope you had a wonderful New Orleans-style celebration today.

And bear in mind what I told everyone when I turned 50: 50 Is The New 10!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Happy birthday, a bit belatedly. I hope some of your optimism catches up on us, these are not the most optimistic of times.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Thanks everyone. I am very happy and proud that I will begin my sixth decade next year. I actually think I have become more open to new ideas, more adventurous and have made more of an effort to become better informed as I have gotten older. I was told I would become set in my ways and have a reactionary attitude to new ideas as I got older. Just the opposite. Every year that passes p[rovides me with examples of things of which I was so sure being proven wrong or not as I expected. Some of my fellow late baby boomers react badly to these changes and cling desperately to outmoded and discredited philosphies. The idea of seeing huge changes in America and our relationships among ourselves and the rest of the world excites me. I am looking forward to the future.

I will not likely get to see much of the 2040s and I envy those of you who will. But I would never trade experiencing the decades I did experience. I was eight when Apollo 11 made it to the moon, thirteen when Nixon resigned, seventeen when the Camp David Accords were signed between Israel and Egypt. I am so happy to have actually experienced these events and there are so many others.

People are pessimistic right now. I think we will leave our children with a better world than we received from our parents (and they did a pretty good job).

Peace and Love to all of you, your families and other loved ones.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Happy Birthday.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Happy birthday!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous wrote:One more year to the half-century mark! :)
Don't spoil his day.

Happy birthday, kaytodd!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Happy birthday!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Happy birthday, Todd.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

One more year to the half-century mark! :)

Return to “General Off-Topic”