82nd Academy Awards -- The Show

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So a nominee with a crappy year!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
dws1982 wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:It was announced today that Anne Hathaway will be co-announcing the nominees Tuesday. When was the last time a non-winner had that job?
Three years ago, Salma Hayek.
Well, thanks for making me look like an idiot :)
Quite a few non-winners have co-announced the nominees in the past: Angela Bassett, Christine Lahti, Sigourney Weaver and the aforementioned Salma Hayek.

The only qualifications are: You have to be AT LEAST an Oscar nominee (if not a winner), you must not be a potential nominee and you also must not be directly involved with any film which might get a major nomination.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

dws1982 wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:It was announced today that Anne Hathaway will be co-announcing the nominees Tuesday. When was the last time a non-winner had that job?

Well, thanks for making me look like an idiot :)

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1264544765
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

It was announced today that Anne Hathaway will be co-announcing the nominees Tuesday. When was the last time a non-winner had that job?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Hollywood Z wrote:That only leaves Inglorious Basterds, which only has the Tarantino dislike going against it among the Academy. I'm still predicting that is what is going to win at this point, though I could change that tune later on.
Yesterday, when I finally saw IB I was thinking exactly the same. The Avatar/THL race has already gotten boring. If the Academy takes any of that choices it would be like "just like the Globes" or by now "just like the PGA". The only way for the Academy to shake this up would be a GB win.

But I don't think the Tarantino "dislike" might be a factor against it... actually, while reading your post I thought you were going to say exactly the opposite. Right now, Tarantino has become a respected director and writer. What I like the least about IB is its script but the direction has a signature for the ages. Not an amazing film, but an original one. Tarantino would fit better in the trend seen in the Best Director award in recent years (most of them respected and established directors) not being a newcomer nor a classic old school guy, but a respected at least since the days of Natural Born Killers, Reservoir Dogs and specially and obviously after Pulp Fiction. And from those days more than 15 years have passed... Add to it the not so respected at their times but now cult films like Jackie Brown and the revered Kill Bill films. In the end I guess the Tarantino name might have some weight in the final choice. I would love a race between Tarantino and Bigelow more than one with Cameron involved.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Well, I just meant in terms of it's raw nature of presentation. The Academy tends to shy away from raw and gritty films.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Requiem for a Dream and Precious are worlds apart thematically and stylistically.

As for Inglourious winning, it's possible, but they aren't doing a straight up-or-down vote here. I believe they are using some weighted voting system that would allow voters to rank their choices, thereby making is possible that something like Inglourious could win, but also allowing most any other potential nominee to win.

Of course, everything hinges on how they are applying voting methods for Best Picture.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm going to agree with Hollywood Z on that possibility. Inglourious Basterds may very well come out the winner here...

... whether you like it or not.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

You know, as good as The Hurt Locker is, I have a feeling that in order to have a happy medium of both critical and financially successful, Inglorious Basterds could end up as the winner. Think about it, while Avatar is huge, it seems destined to be a technical sweeper like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark, despite how much the academy wants to appeal to the masses.

However, they do want to maintain their credibility as awarding legitimate movies and not end up like the MTV Movie Awards or the People's Choice Awards, so the voters will want to showcase their uniqueness in voting by awarding something with high reviews. While The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air will be the two that would fall into this category, they may siphon votes away from each other and with Avatar winning the really popular vote, then it leaves the race open for Inglorious Basterds.

Precious is liked, but would be too intense of a piece to award, much like Requiem for a Dream (though probably not to that extent, I haven't seen it). Invictus just hasn't made enough waves to win. District 9, despite how much it is liked, is going to suffer from the genre prejudice of it being sci-fi, same with Up being animated. That only leaves Inglorious Basterds, which only has the Tarantino dislike going against it among the Academy. I'm still predicting that is what is going to win at this point, though I could change that tune later on.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Two Words: Brokeback Mountain

No, it's not the same type of situation, but it shows that the producers can still pick critical successes while the Academy goes for the least offensive, most audience-friendly film in the bunch.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:If you take the point of view that the main raison d'etre of awards is to get butts into seats, then exhibitors should be rooting for Avatar, and retailers for The Hurt Locker.
Not me. As difficult as it sometimes is, I like to believe that the majority of Academy members take their best picture voting seriously. AMPAS stands for Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. What they should be honoring are the films that adhere most to artistic and scientific quality, as do most of the critics groups and guilds.

Has Avatar won any best picture award aside from the Golden Globe? My prediction for The Hurt Locker's PGA win was based on the fact that their award is called the Daryl F. Zanuck award. I intuited that a win for The Hurt Locker because that is the film that most represents the film-making ideals of the late 20th Century Fox honcho. Whether that was the reason I don't know, but it's clear the producers who are as concerned about putting butts into seats as anyone chose quality over commerce.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Although I would prefer The Hurt Locker not to win, because I don't think it's near the Best Picture of the year, I wonder if we might see something else (at least I could hope this would be the case, though I remain skeptical). If Shankman manages to get an audience in (though, I think his efforts will mean nothing and that it's stupidly obvious that it's Avatar and not his format that's putting butts in the armchairs), I wonder if a film like The Hurt Locker winning, instead of raising the ire of those watching, meant the film actually got those kinds of people in there to watch it and then they actually appreciated it, then we would win something even if we lose our self-respect and dignity.

While I dread what Shakman's going to do and I'm expecting an Allan Carr type disaster, there might be a silver lining on this dark, looming cloud.
Wesley Lovell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:It's not going to increase its box office. It's out of theatres but its DVD sales and rentals are through the roof.

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals
Actually it was rereleased to theatres several weeks ago, and is currently sitting on four screens nationwide, including one here in San Francisco. So the receipts are still trickling in.

But your overall point about its future financial being on home video stands.

If you take the point of view that the main raison d'etre of awards is to get butts into seats, then exhibitors should be rooting for Avatar, and retailers for The Hurt Locker.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I saw this interview (we worked on the close-captioning of it) and I was very concerned.

It's clear that Adam Shankman wants to make the Oscars appealing to Transformers 2 and New Moon fans and I'm totally with Eric that I'm rooting for The Hurt Locker to sweep just for that.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”