SAG: Actress

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

mashari wrote:Bullock's got this in the bag. Sorry, Meryl.
She should be apologizing to us. This Oscar season has been nothing but a disaster. It started with them expanding Best Picture to 10 nominees, and it all just kept getting worse.

Remember the days when the good-but-not-great UP IN THE AIR was the frontrunner, and we were all worried about Meryl Streep winning for a good-but-not-great performance? Yeah, I miss those days.

Now we have a ridiculous movie possibly winning Best Picture (AVATAR), a director who was unworthy of his first Oscar win possibly winning a second one (Cameron), and the worst possible Best Actress win in decades (Bullock).

At least Jeff Bridges pushed George Clooney out of the frontrunner spot for actor. Seeing him win will probably be the best part of Oscar night.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Uri wrote:
anonymous wrote:I don't get the hate towards Sandy either. I mean, despite the fact that I do not want to see the movie she's in and I hated her performance in Crash, she does seem like a nice person who hasn't lost much of her "regular"-ness (if that's a word).
Though it may come as a shock to some people, I'm considered to be a very nice person. And I'm very regular. Nothing to write home about. I want my well earned best actress Oscar. Now.
I never said she DESERVES a Best Actress Oscar. I don't she deserves the hate and virtriol she often receives in these message boards.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

anonymous wrote:I don't get the hate towards Sandy either. I mean, despite the fact that I do not want to see the movie she's in and I hated her performance in Crash, she does seem like a nice person who hasn't lost much of her "regular"-ness (if that's a word).
Though it may come as a shock to some people, I'm considered to be a very nice person. And I'm very regular. Nothing to write home about. I want my well earned best actress Oscar. Now.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It's an objectively dreadful movie (yes, objectively; those who like it don't understand anything about cinema, trust me) and the performance isn't much more than amateurish. But there must be misguided guilty feelings behind the success of both the movie and the actress (they are both anxiously, desperately defended even on this board, though admittedly only by the usual predictable ones). And guilty feelings CAN count, especially when it's such a big voting group as the SAG (and the Academy).
I still think (and certainly hope) that Meryl Streep, even not at her best, will win the Oscar. If Bullocks win, it will sadly be the proof that a certain part of America (not all) still has a long way to go before solving its many problems and becoming, let's say it, more civilized.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:With the other three acting awards all but sewn up and the Oscar show itself looking like a cross between a bore and a disaster, the horse race between Bullock and Streep is the only thing keeping it interesting this year.

Oh, I don't know. Picture and Director seems up in the air to me. (pun definitely intended)

I don't get the hate towards Sandy either. I mean, despite the fact that I do not want to see the movie she's in and I hated her performance in Crash, she does seem like a nice person who hasn't lost much of her "regular"-ness (if that's a word).

Edited By anonymous on 1264345467
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Bullock's got this in the bag. Sorry, Meryl.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous wrote:I really do not want to see The Blind Side since it's a sports movie with a Southern Republican as a protagonist that's just a couple of Bible verses away from being a Kirk Cameron movie.
That's not what it is at all. To quote Sister Rose: "there is a Christian flavor to the story but it is one of possibility rather than a moralistic stereotype."
I think I'd rather see a Kirk Cameron picture.
You wouldn't say that if you'd actually ever seen a Kirk Cameron religious movie.

I'm getting a kick out of Bullock's wins. Has there ever been a more self-effacing best actress winner?

Her backstage response to reporters' questions: "It's a fluke, I feel it's wrong. My money was on Meryl."

She sites the scene in Julie & Julia where Streep's Julia Child, who's struggled with fertility, learns her sister is pregnant. "That is what I aspire to."

With the other three acting awards all but sewn up and the Oscar show itself looking like a cross between a bore and a disaster, the horse race between Bullock and Streep is the only thing keeping it interesting this year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Man, I really don't want to see The Blind Side! I've read the script, I don't like it, I can't imagine liking the movie or Sandra Bullock in it.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:I think I'd rather see a Kirk Cameron picture.
LOL.

Yes I think Sandra is going to be crowned in March.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
anonymous wrote:I really do not want to see The Blind Side since it's a sports movie with a Southern Republican as a protagonist that's just a couple of Bible verses away from being a Kirk Cameron movie.
That's not what it is at all. To quote Sister Rose: "there is a Christian flavor to the story but it is one of possibility rather than a moralistic stereotype."
I think I'd rather see a Kirk Cameron picture.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That ovation may just be the sign that Streep will have to wait once again.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It's a lot of things, some of them problematic, but it's not that.

Standing-O for Sandra.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I really do not want to see The Blind Side since it's a sports movie with a Southern Republican as a protagonist that's just a couple of Bible verses away from being a Kirk Cameron movie.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”