Warner Bros Archive

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Little by little - The Story of Three Loves has been added to the pre-orders.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I received two archive titles this week.

We Were Dancing - Beautiful clear print.

The Big House - Very soft. This is screaming for a restoration particularly given the quality of the film itself.

I also got a copy of the French edition of Along the Great Divide which is in pristine condition. Given that the French edition on not a DVD-R like the archive titles I'd recommend anyone interested in purchasing the title to acquire the French edition. The French subtitles are optional too.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Story of Mankind has been added to the pre-order list. Here's their description:

Synopsis:

Here is the most far-out courtroom thriller you’ll ever see. The setting is outer space, the defendant is all of us and the issue is whether we should be allowed to survive. Defending counsel, the Spirit of Man (Ronald Colman), says yes. Prosecuting counsel, the Devil (Vincent Price), says no. And each presents historical evidence in vignettes that feature Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Arc, Dennis Hopper as Napoleon, Harpo Marx as Isaac Newton, plus Groucho, Chico, Virginia Mayo, Peter Lorre, Charles Coburn, Agnes Moorehead – 25 stars in all! Produced, directed and co-written by Irwin Allen (The Poseidon Adventure), this uncommon curio is Colman’s final film and the last time the three Marx Brothers appeared in the same movie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

8 titles - Get to Know Your Rabbit, Green Mansions, The Hard Way, Juke Girl, The Man I Love, The Moon Is Blue, Nora Prentiss and Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? previously announced for pre-order are now available for purchase.

12 are now available for pre-order: 6 Jolson: Big Boy, Go Into Your Dance, Say It With Music, The Singing Kid, The Singing Fool and Wonder Bar but not Mammy and 4 early Liz: Conspirator, Cynthia, The Girl Who Had Everything and Love Is Better Than Ever but not Beau Brummell as well as the all-star cast Weekend at the Waldorf and It's a Big Country.

Yet to be announced from the leaked list in additoin to Beau Brummell: Deep Valley (which should have been released today with the other Ida Lupino films), The Unfaithful (which should have been released today with the other Ann Sheridan films), The Story of Mankind, The Story of Three Loves and The Fox.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mammy is no longer avialable on the website, but you can now get Angel Baby for $5!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Al Jolson's Mammy has been added.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

By the by, I discovered a disclaimer on some of the new titles, Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?, Green Mansions, The Hard Way - maybe more, I haven't checked - "ships US only".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Green Mansions and Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? have been added.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:By the way, has there ever been a worse ridiculously cast "serious" movie than The Story of Mankind with Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Arc, Virginia Mayo as Cleopatra, Marie Wilson as Marie Antoinette, Groucho Marx as Peter Minuet, Harpo Marx as Isaac Newton, Peter Lorre as Nero, Charles Coburn as Hippocrates, Agnes Moorehead as Elizabeth I, Reginald Gardiner as Shakespeare, Edward Everett Horton as Walter Raleigh, a young Dennis Hopper as Napoleon, an ancient Francis X. Bushman as Moses, Vincent Price as The Devil and Ronald Colman in his last role as The Spirit of Man?
Sounds trashy and deliciously campy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The spoon feeding continues. Overnight they've added Get to Know Your Rabbit, The Hard Way and The Moon Is Blue.

By the way, has there ever been a worse ridiculously cast "serious" movie than The Story of Mankind with Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Arc, Virginia Mayo as Cleopatra, Marie Wilson as Marie Antoinette, Groucho Marx as Peter Minuet, Harpo Marx as Isaac Newton, Peter Lorre as Nero, Charles Coburn as Hippocrates, Agnes Moorehead as Elizabeth I, Reginald Gardiner as Shakespeare, Edward Everett Horton as Walter Raleigh, a young Dennis Hopper as Napoleon, an ancient Francis X. Bushman as Moses, Vincent Price as The Devil and Ronald Colman in his last role as The Spirit of Man?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I got the information from the Home Theater Forum.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They've just added Juke Girl, the first film on Precious' list.

Precious, where are you getting this information, and what are the dates? Accordign to their website they plan to add titles the first and third Tuesdays of each month. If these are the titles planned for the third Tuesday in June they've already more than a week late.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Nora Prentiss and The Man I Love have been added to their site.
Nora Prentiss is one of the great 40s melodramas. A huge hit in its day, it deserves to be better remembered and more widely seen.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nora Prentiss and The Man I Love have been added to their site.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Here's the next batch of Warner Archive titles:

Beau Brummell (1954)
Conspirator (1949)
Cynthia (1947)
Deep Valley (1947)
Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972)
Girl Who Had Everything, The (1953)
Green Mansions (1959)
Hard Way, The (1943)
It's a Big Country (1951)
Juke Girl (1942)
Love Is Better Than Ever (1952)
Moon Is Blue, The (1953)
Story of Mankind, The (1957)
Story of Three Loves, The (1953)
Fox, The (1967)
Unfaithful, The (1947)
Week-End at the Waldorf (1945)
Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? (1978)

Amazon is also now selling most of the first 150 Warner Archives titles ranging in price from about $25 to $28 dollars!!!

Return to “DVD Discussions”