Unseen Oscar Nominated Performances

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Unseen Oscar Nominated Performances

Post by Reza »

Still haven't gotten round to watching my video copy of The Tresspasser but did manage to see Sweeney Todd.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Finally received video copies of The Trespasser (1929)and The Blue Veil (1951). Shall be watching them both this weekend.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1273215500
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Be careful what you order from Play.com or anywhere for that matter - I did a search on their website for The Emigrants and found no Region 2 copy available but Region 1 imports are available through their partnership with e-bay companies Movie Mars and others. I looked a little closer and found the film they brought up was not The Emigrants, but The Emigrant, an Egyptian film which is indeed available in Region 1. I did a search on Liv Ullmann and found that The Emigrants is not available from them.

I did a search on Amazon,com for The Emigrants and found the Danish version (no English subtitles) available at prices between $60-125.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

In the past months, i've been doing the same thing, i am trying to watch hard-to-find nominated films from the 70s and 80s. So i am happy to say that with most of the films on your list i can help.

There is an online store called www.play.com. I've been using it for many years now, and never had any problems. I get the DVDs in 7-10 days. The great thing about this site is that it has reasonable prices and the most important is that there are no shipping costs, so you pay the price you see listed for each product. It also has a U.S. branch that offers Region 1 DVDs as well, that are also without shipping costs. I did a quick check and found that the following DVDs are availiable there, and you can find a few bargains as many of them cost around 6 Euros.

Availiable from play.com

The Great White Hope
Lovers and Others Strangers
The Go-Between
Carnal Knowledge
The Hospital
Hester Street
Cousin Cousine
Una Giornata Particolare – A Special Day
Same Time, Next Year
Starting Over
Claudine
Cross Creek
Georgia
Trip to Bountiful
Anna
Street Smart
Longtime Companion
Tom & Viv
Ghosts of Mississippi
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Pasqualino Settebellezze – Seven Beauties

Are availiable in Greek VHS and could possibly be found in other EU countries
I Never Sang for my Father
Who is Harry Kellerman?
Tribute
Only When I Laugh

Not easily found in Europe
Sounder
The Emigrants
Pete 'n' Tillie
The Heartbreak Kid
Give'm Hell, Harry!
Melvin and Howard
Gaby
Comes a Horseman
Chapter Two
Once is not Enough
Resurrection

I have them as VHS NTSC
Reuben, Reuben
Diary of a Mad Housewife
The Landlord
Summer Whishes, Winter Dreams
Hedda

Also if you are into donwloading movies online, many of these are also availiable there. I realise that is not the best way to watch a movie, but in some cases it's the only way, especially for us who live outside the U.S.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:I'm not familiar with Pasqualino Settebellezze or Una Giornata Particolare, but Diary of a Mad Housewife, Once Is Not Enough, Pete 'n' Tillie and The Emigrants are the only other films from your list that I haven't found available for purchase anywhere. I don't know about rentals.
I found a copy of The Emigrants, but it's in danish without any subtitles....
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I made DVD copies of all my old VHS tapes and laser discs but none of them play on my current equipment. Neither does anything I copied from TV so I've given up making copies.

However, you can still obtain copies of most Oscar nominated films if you look hard enough. Ironically, many of these films are more available in Region 2 than in Region 1.

I'm not familiar with Pasqualino Settebellezze or Una Giornata Particolare, but Diary of a Mad Housewife, Once Is Not Enough, Pete 'n' Tillie and The Emigrants are the only other films from your list that I haven't found available for purchase anywhere. I don't know about rentals.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

As you may know, I'm trying to see all nominated performances in the 4 acting categories since 1970, as well as all the BP nominees since then. I've been posting my comments on the films I'm watching on the "last seen movie"thread.

However, I can't seem to find anywhere the following films:

I Never Sang for my Father
The Great White Hope
Diary of a Mad Housewife
Lovers and Others Strangers
The Landlord
The Hospital
Whos is Harry Kellerman?
The Go-Between
Carnal Knowledge
Sounder
The Emigrants
The Heartbreak Kid
Pete 'n' Tillie
Summer Whishes, Winter Dreams
Claudine
Give'm Hell, Harry!
Hedda
Hester Street
Once is not Enough
Pasqualino Settebellezze
Cousine Cousine
Una Giornata Particolare
Same Time, Next Year
Comes a Horseman
Starting Over
Chapter Two
Tribute
Resurrection
Melvin and Howard
Only When I Laugh
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Reuben, Reuben
Cross Creek
Trip to Bountiful
Anna
Street Smart
Gaby
Longtime Companion
Tom & Viv
Georgia
Ghosts of Mississippi

I know many of them are available on region 1 dvds, but I live in Europe and it's almost impossible to find this films overhere (or buy them on Amazon but pay high shipping and taxing costs).

Anyone willing to help me?
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

From the last 20 years I still need to see:

Max Von Sydow Pelle the Conqueror
Alec Guiness Little Dorrit

Isabelle Adjani Camille Claudel
Pauline Collins Shirley Valentine

Bruce Davison Longtime Companion

Mary McDonnell Passion Fish

Leonardo di Caprio What´s Eating Gilbert Grape?

Miranda Richardson Tom & Viv
Winona Ryder Little Women
Rosemary Harris Tom & Viv

Richard Dreyfuss Mr. Holland´s Opus
Brad Pitt Twelve Monkeys
Tim Roth Rob Roy
Mare Winningham Georgia

Billy Bob Thornton Sling Blade
James Woods Ghosts of Mississippi
Joan Allen The Crucible
Barbara Hershey The Portrait of a Lady
Lauren Bacall The Mirror Has Two Faces

Robert Duvall The Apostle
Helena Bonham Carter The Wings of the Dove

Meryl Streep One True Thing

Janet MacTeer Tumbleweeds
Meryl Streep Music of the Heart

Javier Bardem Before Night Falls
Geoffrey Rush Quills

Sean Penn I Am Sam

Annette Bening Being Julia

Charlize Theron North Country
Paul Giamatti Cinderella Man
Frances McDormand North Country
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Blossoms in the Dust is available on DVD in Warner Bros. re-issued Holiday Collection Volume One also featuring Boys Town, Christmas in Connecticut and the 1938 version of A Christmas Carol. It was not part of the original release and is not sold separately.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Cinemanolis wrote:
--flipp525 wrote:That would her beautifully-rendered performance in the lost gem, Blossoms in the Dust.

Why lost? I have it on DVD (ok recorded from TV, but still...)

I didn't mean that it was officially a "lost" film. I meant more in terms that it is sort of a forgotten one.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1273215517
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

flipp525 wrote:That would her beautifully-rendered performance in the lost gem, Blossoms in the Dust.
Why lost? I have it on DVD (ok recorded from TV, but still...)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sunrise at Campobello, while a noble effort, is definitely not Garson's best work. That would her beautifully-rendered performance in the lost gem, Blossoms in the Dust.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I wouldn't say that Greer Garson's performance was bad, just not very interesting.

By the way, I can't really say that it's Garson's worst nominated performances because one of the few nominated movies I've yet to see is Sunrise at Campobello, which has never been shown in Italy. But even in, say, Valley of Decision she is less bland than in this one.
Actually Sunrise at Campobello is one of her best.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:I wouldn't say that Greer Garson's performance was bad, just not very interesting.

By the way, I can't really say that it's Garson's worst nominated performances because one of the few nominated movies I've yet to see is Sunrise at Campobello, which has never been shown in Italy. But even in, say, Valley of Decision she is less bland than in this one.

But Agnes Moorehead has a strength and, I'd say, an intelligence which are both so clear right from her first, memorable scene in this movie and which really make her (not only in Mrs Parkington) one of the greatest American actresses ever. When she's on screen, Garson literally disappears, despite the fact that the camera is always on her side.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1229612473
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Another one that I have finally recently found is Mrs Parkington - dreadful movie, with probably Greer Garson's worst nominated performance, but Agnes Moorehead is truly great in it.

It's a bad, poorly constructed film. I wouldn't say that Greer Garson's performance was bad, just not very interesting. If they needed to give a slot to an MGM "great lady" performance that year it should have gone to Irene Dunne in The White Cliffs of Dover.

I first saw this circa 1964 and was fascinated by the fact that Garson who was made up as an 80 year-old in the "present" scenes played the mother of Gladys Cooper who was Dunne's mother-in-law in The White Cliffs of Dover and Garson's would-be mother-in-law in The Valley of Decision, both of which I had recently seen, was usually someone's mother, grand-mother or even great-mother. It was a treat seeing her let loose as a drunken bitch.

I remember liking Agnes Moorehead when I first saw it, but when I saw it again a few years ago I didn't care for her performance at all.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1229611025

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”