Let the Right One In - THERE BE SPOILERS HERE

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Usually, when a new version of a DVD is released, Netflix replaces the old version with the new, but it might take time. Best thing would be when the new version is released call up to Netflix and have them verify that the new one is being substituted.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This certainly puts me in a quandary. I had the film in my Netflix queue, but now I'm inclined to pass on watching it, if it's an adulterated version. Jeff Wells has a report that the company is semi-owning up to its mistake, planning to release another version with "Theatrical Subtitles" highlighted -- but what way would I have of insuring that I get the proper copy sent to me by Netflix?

I guess for now I'll finesse the issue by simply skipping the movie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Maybe that does explain your loathing of it, Magilla. The subtitle translation they posted sounded almost stupid, like some immature, Twilight-esque vampire film. Do those subtitles match what you saw? Thank goodness, I got to see it on screener, because I certainly remember the "start with the corner" mention, so I know I had the better version. And even the size of the font is off-putting.
I didn't loathe it, I just didn't see what all the fuss was about.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Really? So then why in theaters and other countries is it "incorrect"? I honestly didn't know things like this occurred.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The strange thing about this is that the English-dubbed version uses the correct translation.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Maybe that does explain your loathing of it, Magilla. The subtitle translation they posted sounded almost stupid, like some immature, Twilight-esque vampire film. Do those subtitles match what you saw? Thank goodness, I got to see it on screener, because I certainly remember the "start with the corner" mention, so I know I had the better version. And even the size of the font is off-putting.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:For those checking out this film on DVD, be aware that the subtitles are dumbed down quite considerably.

Link with examples
That may explain why I was unimpressed with it.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

For those checking out this film on DVD, be aware that the subtitles are dumbed down quite considerably.

Link with examples
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I didn't think it was a castrated penis. I just knew it a scar of some kind...That it's a castrated penis makes sense, but it certainly didn't look like a forest of bush...and with very obvious reveal that he was a boy (from their dialogue in bed), I didn't think anyone couldn't have guessed that fact.
Wesley Lovell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:Dude, it's on there for a second. It's just a line down her crotch. I didn't immediately make the assumption "Oh, that must be her castrated penis!" I know I'm not the only one. I appreciate the ambiguity of the film's reveal but I didn't immediately jump to this conclusion.
Wow. I didn't reach this conclusion at all. I remember the shot but that honestly never would have crossed my mind had I not read this thread.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Dude, it's on there for a second. It's just a line down her crotch. I didn't immediately make the assumption "Oh, that must be her castrated penis!" I know I'm not the only one. I appreciate the ambiguity of the film's reveal but I didn't immediately jump to this conclusion.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How could you think of it as hair? I didn't freeze frame or anything, it was fairly obvious.
Wesley Lovell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's incredibly blink and you'll miss it. I just assumed there was a little grass on the field. I didn't feel the need to freeze frame to examine whether or not it was in fact the stitched, castrated remains of a penis.
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

It was definitely "blink and you'll miss it".
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Ummm... okay, I don't remember that scene in the movie at all. At all. Seriously. I don't remember any scars at all. Wow.

Return to “2008”