06. Kathy Bates, Primary Colors

Best Director
01. Satoshi Kon, Perfect Blue
02. Terrence Malick, The Thin Red Line
03. Whit Stillman, The Last Days of Disco
04. Roberto Benigni, Life Is Beautiful
05. Peter Weir, The Truman Show

06. Steven Spielberg, Saving Private Ryan
Last edited by ksrymy on Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I found some of old nominations papers, so I'll post what I have for 1998. It was a good year for movies.

BEST PICTURE

Gods and Monsters
Pleasantville
Saving Private Ryan
Shakespeare in Love
The Truman Show

BEST DIRECTOR

Roberto Benigni, Life is Beautiful
John Madden, Shakespeare in Love
Sam Raimi, A Simple Plan
Steven Spielberg, Saving Private Ryan
Peter Weir, The Truman Show

BEST ACTOR

Roberto Benigni, Life is Beautiful
Jim Carrey, The Truman Show
Tom Hanks, Saving Private Ryan
Ian McKellan, Gods and Monsters
Edward Norton, American History X

- Runner ups included Robin Williams (What Dreams May Come), Antonio Banderas (The Mask of Zorro) and Nick Nolte (Affliction). Hanks continued his losing streak going back to 1992. Norton had been up for Primal Fear.

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth
Fernando Montenegro, Central Station
Gwyneth Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love
Christina Ricci, The Opposite of Sex
Oprah Winfrey, Beloved

- Runner ups included (believe it or not) Cameron Diaz (There's Something About Mary) and Jennifer Lopez (Out of Sight). All first-timers.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Jeremy Davies, Saving Private Ryan
Brendan Fraser, Gods and Monsters
Ed Harris, The Truman Show
Steve Martin, The Spanish Prisoner
Geoffrey Rush, Shakespeare in Love

- I also considered Robert Duvall (A Civil Action) and Bill Murray (Rushmore). Harris was nominated for Apollo 13 (1995) and Martin won for Grand Canyon (1991).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Joan Allen, Pleasantville
Kathy Bates, Primary Colors
Judi Dench, Shakespeare in Love
Kimberly Elise, Beloved
Laura Linney, The Truman Show

- Runner ups were Lynn Redgrave (Gods and Monsters), Thandie Newton (Beloved) and Sharon Stone (The Mighty). Allen won in 1995 for Nixon, Dench in 1997 for Mrs. Brown, and Bates in 1990 for Misery.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Plesantville
Saving Private Ryan
Shakespeare in Love
The Spanish Prisoner
The Truman Show

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Affliction
Gods and Monsters
Out of Sight
A Simple Plan
A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries

BEST ART DIRECTION

Dark City
Plesantville
Shakespeare in Love
The Truman Show
What Dreams May Come

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Elizabeth
Saving Private Ryan
Shakespeare in Love
The Thin Red Line
The Truman Show

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Beloved
Elizabeth
Pleasantville
Shakespeare in Love
The Truman Show

BEST FILM EDITING

Enemy of the State
The Mask of Zorro
Out of Sight
Saving Private Ryan
The Truman Show

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Nicola Piovanni, Life is Beautiful
Rachel Portman, Beloved
Stephen Warbeck, Shakespeare in Love
John Williams, Saving Private Ryan
Hans Zimmer, The Thin Red Line

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," Armageddon
"I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You, " The Mask of Zorro
"Reflection," Mulan
"That'll Do," Babe: Pig in the City
"When You Believe," The Prince of Egypt

BEST MAKEUP

Dark City
Elizabeth
Shakespeare in Love

BEST SOUND

Armageddon
Dark City
The Mask of Zorro
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

BEST SOUND EFFECTS EDITING

Armageddon
The Mask of Zorro
Saving Private Ryan

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Dark City
Mighty Joe Young
What Dreams May Come

Tally:

Shakespeare in Love - 11n/2w
Saving Private Ryan - 10n/5w
The Truman Show - 10n/4w
Pleasantville - 5n/0w
Dark City - 4n/1w
Gods and Monsters - 4n/1w
Life is Beautiful - 4n/1w (foreign film)
The Mask of Zorro - 4n/0w
Armageddon - 3n/0w
The Thin Red Line - 3n/0w
A Simple Plan - 2n/0w
The Spanish Prisoner - 2n/0w
What Dreams May Come - 2n/1w

Edited By criddic3 on 1299981182
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

These comments were unreadable until I hit the edit button on most of the posts to resurrect them yesterday.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Pleasantville which I revisited recently and posted a review of in another thread. I should also re-watch The Truman Show.

While both are derivative of The Twilight Zone, that isn't a bad thing. At least these films had ideas, which is more than you can say about 90% of the films being released lately.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

flipp525 wrote:I'm just not sure that your comparison works for me. I can certainly envision an episode of The Twilight Zone in which a couple of kids are sucked into their favorite television show (was that ever even an episode?), however I feel like Pleasantville took that premise and expanded upon it in some rather interesting, visually rich ways. To read the film as some cheap, modern version of an exalted Twilight Zone episode doesn't really wash.
Since we're lurking around this thread again, this was never properly responded to.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maybe it was on one o fthe older sites. In any case, you can add your post now and anyone can edit their own old posts at any time.

Also, if you come across old posts of yours that look odd, simply click on the edit button for that post and it should resolve the problem of not only making your post look right, but those that may have come after it and look odd.

I edit posts to do that all the time so if you see one of your old posts indicating I edited it, all I did was hit the edit button to make it appear the way it should. I do not alter the contents of anyone's posts.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1299623764
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Some of these threads should be revisited. I thought I had posted my shouldabeens for this year, but cannot find it. Maybe I put it somewhere else? Ah, well.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Thanks, Big Magilla. With your expanded explanation, I can see where you're coming from. Count me, though, as one of the legion of disappointed Joan Allen fans who is quite familiar with several classic Twilight Zone episodes, albeit re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel.

Some favorites that I can recall off the top of my head are the one with Ann Blyth playing the actress who never ages, Telly Savales as the man being haunted by his daughter's doll, Burgess Meredith as a post-apocolyptic librarian, the couple who wakes up in a strange, empty town taunted by a child's laughter (only to discover that they're in her dollhouse) and of course the infamous episode where the family must wear the masks until midnight at which point their faces become permanently frozen into those visages. Great stuff.

I'm just not sure that your comparison works for me. I can certainly envision an episode of The Twilight Zone in which a couple of kids are sucked into their favorite television show (was that ever even an episode?), however I feel like Pleasantville took that premise and expanded upon it in some rather interesting, visually rich ways. To read the film as some cheap, modern version of an exalted Twilight Zone episode doesn't really wash.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236352210
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--flipp525 wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:I said at the time that neither Pleasantville nor The Truman Show would do well at the Oscars because old-timers found both films to be pale imitations of Twilight Zone, a show that kept them glued to their TV sets every Friday night from 1959-1964.

I don't think that Pleasantville is a "pale imitation" of a Twilight Zone episode. That's rather reductive reasoning. Although, given your old-timer perspective, I guess us young'uns should just take you at your word.

It's all in the perception.

Audiences gathered around the TV set with intense anticipation in each and every new Twilight Zone show and were rarely disappointed.

The Truman Show, more so than Pleasantville, seemed like an expanded version of the TV show but both suffered from the comparison. Just as later attempts to turn The Twlight Zone into an hour long series and a still later film version failed to live up to the high expectations of Twlilight Zone freaks so did those two films.

I personally liked The Twlilight Zone but there are only a handful of episodes that stand out in my memory. There are legions of fans who can recall practically every episode to this day.

Was comparing Pleasantville to The Twlight Zone fair? Probably not, but it's interesting to note that Joan Allen's legions of disappointed fans are all too young to have experienced The Twlight Zone in its initial run, though they may have come upon it in re-runs or on DVD.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1299623452
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The nominations on 1999 really angered me. I understand why Lisa Kudrow wasn't nominated. Her film was too indie and prickly, although she gave my favorite female performance that year. I understand why Kimberly Elise and Thandie Newton were passed over. Beloved was Oscar kryptonite. Joan Allen picked up NO traction following her New York Film Critic's Circle victory. Clearly in a year of double vision (Antz & A Bug's Life, Armaggedon & Deep Impact, Dante's Peak & Volcano), The Truman Show and Pleasantville exhausted voters who don't like one mirror held up to their industry. I think each film appealed to a different sub-section of voters.

These are outwardly gracious performances in a field of Although of the nominees I would have chosen Rachel Griffiths, it was a weak Best Actress field that carried Watson's costar along. Kathy Bates, Brenda Blethyn, Judi Dench, and Lynn Redgrave are all gave scene-stealing performances of differing quality. Joan Allen's entire performance is a quiet heartbreaking film in itself, but it's Lisa Kudrow's omission that really breaks my heart.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I haven't ever submitted myself to Little Voice, but the reception to Brenda Blethyn's performance fascinates me. The only people who it seems hate Blethyn more than those who hate camp are the people who love camp.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I wasn't really Oscar-watching at the time (I mean, I watched the '98 Oscars but hadn't seen too many of the nominees), but Allen's snub is indeed mystifying and depressing. I prefer her to all the nominees but Redgrave that year. I think, as dws said, the main reason for the omission is that Pleasantville was a widely buzzed contender whose ship just went down as Oscar season went on (maybe a bit like this year's polar opposite '50's film, Revolutionary Road). The visual effects snub, is, for me, truly sinful.

Blethyn's shrieking is indeed hideous, but let's also not forget that, despite strong work, Rachel Griffiths is yet another example of a clear lead robbing a true supporting player of a much-deserved nomination.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:...given your old-timer perspective, I guess us young'uns should just take you at your word.
Magilla, I think we 'Old-timers'' need to be put out to pasture. I am reminded about this on a daily basis by the two teenagers in my house......not to mention my ''young'' 43 year old wife.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:I said at the time that neither Pleasantville nor The Truman Show would do well at the Oscars because old-timers found both films to be pale imitations of Twilight Zone, a show that kept them glued to their TV sets every Friday night from 1959-1964.
I don't think that Pleasantville is a "pale imitation" of a Twilight Zone episode. That's rather reductive reasoning. Although, given your old-timer perspective, I guess us young'uns should just take you at your word.

It's one thing to throw a nomination bone towards someone who's been slighted recently. We've all seen it happen. But to reward that shrill, Shelley-Winters-in-A-Patch-of-Blue-on-CRACK performance is almost unforgivable. I think the snubbing of Joan Allen is one of the worst atrocities by the Academy of the 90's.

Sally Hawkins joins the ranks of Allen and Plummer. She easily should've won this year.

Return to “The 8th Decade”