Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Doubt - 6/10

Aside from a couple of logistical issues that arise from directly adapting this from the stageplay, the primary issue is the truncated Amy Adams arc which stops short. The central battle in the film is hers. The film doesn't know that.

Edited By Sabin on 1233109670
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Elaine Stritch: At Liberty (2002) Various 6/10

The Eternity Man (2008) Julien Temple 6/10

Honeydripper (2007) John Sayles 7/10

The Class (2008) Laurent Cantent 7/10

I doubt the Academy will vote for The Class best in the foreign language category. It's quite unlike anything that they have even nominated before and its inclusion is probably a result of changes to the selection process.

It's filmed in a documentary style and is worlds away from high school dramas that have populated mainstream cinema for over the last 50 years. All of the action takes place within the school walls (hence the French title Entre les murs) so what information is revealed about the lives of the teachers and students is purely be incidental dialogue only. Funnily enough at the moment that the film itself finished and the end credits started I felt like I was watching a Frederick Wiseman documentary as there was no music used in the film (which I didn't actually notice when watching it) and all that is heard are the rumblings of the class room, which is pretty much the way the Wiseman concludes most of his films.

As is widely known that Francois Begaudeau who wrote the book and co-wrote the screenplay is fine in the lead role, particularly that he like all of the characters are limited to the school grounds. I can't see the French Government using this film as a recruitment tool for Public Schools and I'll be interested to see what teachers from the world over think of the content of this film.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Doubt (John Patrick Shanley, 2008) 5/10
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The Adventures of Milo & Otis (?) 5/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Eric wrote:I know I overrated it when I first wrote about it, and probably cherished it for being as amateurish as most of its inspirations, and gave it extra points for not being Far from Heaven, but ... I probably won't watch it again lest I end up realizing my mistake. (I think Rosenbaum liked it, tho.)
Eric,

I didn't realize you had seen it. I really wish I had liked it. Maybe if Anna Biller had handed the directorial chores and editing to someone else it may have worked better. I was amazed to discover that aside from writing the screenplay, acting in the lead role and directing, she also worked on the sets, editing and probably a whole lot more.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Frost/Nixon 5.5/10

Not impressed, except with Langella and the use of real footage. The fake interviews were unbearable.

My order for the Best Pictures:
1. The Reader
2. Milk
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
4. Slumdog Millionaire
5. Frost/Nixon
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I know I overrated it when I first wrote about it, and probably cherished it for being as amateurish as most of its inspirations, and gave it extra points for not being Far from Heaven, but ... I probably won't watch it again lest I end up realizing my mistake. (I think Rosenbaum liked it, tho.)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Eric wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Viva (2007) Anna Biller 3/10

Damn.

I had high expectations for Viva and was bitterly disappointed with the results. The film is unrelentingly dull and amateurish is the worst possible way with bad dialogue and tedious plot developments. Whilst the set design, make up, costumes and wigs are amusing for a time they do not sustain a two hour film.

Best thing about the film is that all the actresses have real breasts, not a rubber pair in sight.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1232835351
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Precious Doll wrote:Viva (2007) Anna Biller 3/10
Damn.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Crimson Kimono (Samuel Fuller) 8/10

I first saw this way back in 1959 when it was dumped into neighborhood theatres on the second half of the bill showcasing Gigi.

I don't know if this was my first introduction to Fuller, but it's the one that made me sit up and take notice of him. The film is a murder mystery in which Glenn Corbett and James Shigeta star as Korean war vets who become cops, then detectives together in L.A., all the while sharing an apartment they pour all their money into. Read into that what you will.

Into their lives comes a beautiful woman (Victoria Shaw), a key witness who they take into their home for protection. The ensuing fireworks elevates the film far above the crime genre. To say more would be to give away too much. Suffice it to say that this film is better seen cold on or copied from a TCM showing than on a future DVD release where the cover art in all likelihood will give away plot elements from the original poster and trailer.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Doubt - 7/10

Sadly I found this movie last, but enjoyed it more than most of the best picture nominees. Every movie I continue to see that is correlated with Oscar 2009 makes me wish more and more that PTA or the Coen brothers held out a year.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Hard Boiled (John Woo) 8/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Role Models (2008) David Wain 7/10

Viva (2007) Anna Biller 3/10

A Jihad for Love (2008) Parvez Sharma 5/10

The Romance of Astrea and Celadon (2007) Eric Rohmer 8/10

Man from Plains (2007) Jonathan Demme 5/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Revolutionary Road - 5/10
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008) 4/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”