The most significant day of my life (so far)

cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

That's great, Wes. Hopefully this is the beginning of a very long and fruitful relationship! I connected with my first cousin in November after not having seen her since 1956.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Yeah, thanks you guys! This really is looking like a great year for me. I talked to her this morning on the phone and it was really nice. She told me how she explained to her daughters who I was and they were really excited. And I'm going to her birthday party in a couple weeks too! :)
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

So Wes, it seems that 2009 will be a very good year for you! I am really happy for you
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This happened to a friend of mine a few years back. That's fantastic. SUch a small world.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Facebook is really something, isn't it? Nice story... hope the very best for you. Good luck!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

MovieWes wrote:but I have a good feeling that this is going to be a completely positive experience. She told me that she's wanted to know me as badly as I've wanted to know her, so I think it's going to turn out well.
Well there....more than half the battle has already been won! Don't worry it should all work out for you both.

I also saw your update on Facebook. Am very happy for you.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

This is a pretty heartwarming story.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, the first question should be: Does she love movies...and, especially, the Oscars? If not, you can't be friends. ;)
If she does,in time you should invite her to the board. We still lack the (real) female perspective.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm happy to hear that good things are happening to people on this board.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That's wonderful, Wes.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wonderful news, Wes. Please keep us updated as much as you want to. What an exciting time!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

That is fantastic Wes...much great wishes to you and the flourishing of a new lifelong relationship!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I saw that on your facebook status and was wondering what the story was there. I'm happy for you that you feel so good about making this connection and wish you luck in beginning your new relationship with your sister.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, the first question should be: Does she love movies...and, especially, the Oscars? If not, you can't be friends. ;)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm still trying to register what happened to me yesterday, because I don't think that anything this big has ever happened to me in my entire life up to this point, but I think that the biggest thing that has ever happened to me ever in my entire life took place yesterday. Forgive me if this post is all over the place because I'm still trying to work it all out in my head...

To make a long story short, I connected with my half-sister for the first time in my life yesterday. I've wanted a relationship with her ever since I found out about her when I was five years old, and I've seen her only once for about 15 minutes when I was eight, but that's it. But yesterday I got on Facebook for the first time in probably a month. I hadn't been on there in such a long time because the Internet is down at my house and Facebook is blocked at work. But I got on Facebook yesterday at school and checked my messages and noticed a message from my half-sister asking me if I was by any chance related to my dad. I immediately responded back telling her that he was my father and we chatted for about two hours and made plans to meet each other for the first time an hour later. So yesterday, for the first time in my life, I spent the day with my sister and met my two nieces who I'd never met before. We've agreed to start a relationship with each other and I'm praying that we do have a relationship because it's something I've wanted my entire life. I had all but given up hope that this would ever happen because when I was about 15 or 16 my dad and her began talking again and it didn't end well. We've agreed to keep my dad out of it for at least a year so that we can get to know each other on our own terms. I just hope it doesn't end like it did with my dad, but I have a good feeling that this is going to be a completely positive experience. She told me that she's wanted to know me as badly as I've wanted to know her, so I think it's going to turn out well.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “General Off-Topic”