Rachel Getting Married reviews

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Coming to this one really late...

I liked the performances in Rachel Getting Married more than I liked the actual movie. As others have stated, it felt like a long, bizarrely designed wedding where you didn't know anyone and you were inexplicably sober and the bar was closed. The rehearsal dinner was a virtually interminable experience.

Hathaway was surprisingly strong, especially her confession during that Narc Anon meeting about what she had done. A win for her performance as Kym would not have been undeserved. However, I really LOVED the work of Rosemarie DeWitt and Debra Winger. The confrontation between Hathaway and Winger was incredible and so was Winger's last scene. How lovely to see her working again. And DeWitt, whose work as Midge on 'Mad Men' I've really enjoyed, was the unsung hero of the entire movie.

I wasn't feeling the Bill Irwin love that everyone else seems to have latched onto. I actually found him sort of annoying and strangely fey. Anna Deveare Smith, on the other hand, was wonderfully cast.

All in all, a pretty good experience. Most Hideous Bridesmaid/Maid of Honor Dresses of All-Time though!

Edited By flipp525 on 1246901441
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I agree Cam. I´ve seen it today. The performances constitute the high point. I´ve liked all of them. Irwin and Winger are astonishing. Demme is a very talented director. I wish he could film fition more oftenly.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

We saw this on DVD tonight, and it was definitely worth seeing this great ensemble working together--I was sort of reminded of The Big Chill in a wierd way.
Rosemarie DeWitt was robbed of an Oscar nomination. She was leagues ahead of Penelope Cruz.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Finally caught this today and was blown away by it. For me, it was a powerfully moving emotional experience, with one of the best ensemble pieces of the year.

For someone with more knowledge than I, I have two actor questions? Who is the silver-haired singer who sings a song right after the ceremony at the reception, and who is the guy in the cowboy shirt who gives the toast about "ups and downs only in the bedroom." Both looked and sounded familiar, but I can't place them.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm with rain bard -- I knew there was something along those lines, but it was well into the film before I had the exact info Hathaway provided in that clip.

You have to be careful watching those clips. I shut my ears during the Dexter snippet, since I haven't yet watched the second season and feared something would be casually spoiled.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Perhaps for the viewer of average perpectiveness. But not for folks like me who are a little dense when it comes to these things. I knew there had been some kind of a family incident with someone named Ethan, but it took at least a reel or two to figure out its nature. I'm glad I didn't realize it until later; I'm sure I would have reacted very differently to the family interactions if I'd had more of a bird's-eye understanding of their family history any earlier than I did.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, it's not as if one doesn't realize that's what happened within the first five minutes of the film; it's not said right away, but it's pretty obvious.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

yeah that's really dumb. Someone should be fired.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

--rain Bard wrote:what's the clip, for those of us who have seen the film but not the SAG telecast?

SPOILER for those who haven't seen the movie. (I haven't, but I had already been spoiled on this.)

Hathaway's character says something about killing her little brother. She didn't mean to, or was sorry she did it or something.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1246899360
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

what's the clip, for those of us who have seen the film but not the SAG telecast?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wonder if it was the studio and not SAG that chose the clip.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Completely agreed re: the Rachel clip. Can't imagine why they'd choose that clip, particularly when Hathaway has plenty of other strong moments in the film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's exactly what I was thinking when I watched it, Flipp...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I haven't seen Rachel Getting Married yet, (supposed to see it tomorrow, in fact) but it seems like the clip of Anne Hathaway last night spoiled a rather major plot point. Thanks, SAG Awards!

Edited By flipp525 on 1233001504
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

He loves Wall-E? Truly your better half. :;):

Return to “2008”