Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the lack of crispness in costuming is intentional, barry. It plays into the couple's decaying relationship.

I think Kate Winslet is quite good in the film. I can't compare it to The Reader, but there is significant depth in her portrayal. And by depth, I don't just mean simple emotion. Her character has a fierceness of soul tempered by her vulnerability that culminates in one of the closing scenes that is probably one of the strongest images in any film I've seen this year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

barrybrooks8 wrote:Revolutionary Road

8.5/10

Kate Winslet's performance gave it an extra 1.5. Was very disappointed with the costumes (nothing seemed crisp for some reason).
I think I'm seeing it this weekend. Is Kate Winslet's performance as fantastic as I keep hearing?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Revolutionary Road

8.5/10

Kate Winslet's performance gave it an extra 1.5. Was very disappointed with the costumes (nothing seemed crisp for some reason).
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Finally caught up with The Visitor. It is a solid film, although gets a little heavy handed by the end. Richard Jenkins is phenomenal!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Gran Torino (Clint) - 9/10

Basically I can't help myself, I loved this
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Way We Laughed (1998) Gianni Amelio 7/10

Aspen (1991) Frederick Wiseman 5/10

A Bit of Scarlet (1997) Andrea Weiss 3/10

Doubt (2008) John Patrick Stanley 4/10

The Small Black Room (1949) Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger 7/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. It lays its themes on a little thick, but the three hours flew by and I appreciated that it stuck to a strong narrative rather than try to fit Benjamin into the political and historical world around him. The cast is at top form here, most of them doing better work than their recent output suggests, and Fincher's storytelling skills are strong. Watching him develop in the past two years, from flashy, kinetic, hipster director to a fluid student of emotion has been a treat.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 6/10

Whatever. Gorgeous to look out, thin underneath, surprisingly dull overall.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Brideshead Revisited (Julian Jarrold) 7.5

It's not the mini-series, though it was filmed at the same castle.

The emphasis in the film is on the love triangle between Charles, Sebastian and Julia. Sebastian's homosexuality, inferred in the novel and the mini-series is made explicit in the film. Up-and-comers Matthew Goode, Ben Whishaw and Hayley Atwell have the principal roles with Michael Gambon as Sebastian and Julia's father and Greta Scacchi as his mistress in brief but compelling performances. The standout, however, is Emma Thompson as their mother in a virtuoso grand dame performance worthy of an Edna May Oliver or an Edith Evans.

Art direction, costume design and cinematography are Oscar worthy though unlikely as is, alas, a nomination for Thompson.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Heksagon wrote:Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder) 10/10
--Another film that I hadn't seen in a long time.
Did not see this until a year or so ago, and I do not see how it missed out on a BP nomination. Perhaps it was overshadowed by From Here to Eternity.
William Pierson is perfect as Marko The Mailman; "At ease! At ease!"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Bride Wars (2009; Gary Winick) 6/10

I'm easy. The critics are already declaring this the worst movie of the year; yeah, it's a by-the-numbers, predictable comedy that emphasizes slapstick over wit. But I laughed out loud quite a few times, and the likable, attractive cast (especially the men--Bryan Greenberg, Chris Pratt, Michael Arden--yummy!) keep it humming along at a comfortable pace.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Cinemanolis wrote:However near the end of the movie there were about 7 minutes of screentime watching the guests of the party dancing and eating. That part of the film was really a torture.
At least during those scenes no one was spouting the hideous dialogue.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Orfeu Negro (Marcel Camus) 7/10
--Disappointing. It's not bad, but I had hoped it would be better

Wild Hogs (Walt Becker) 4/10

High Sierra (Raoul Walsh) 9/10
--Previously, I had only seen this film as a teenager. I liked it more now.

Dodes'kaden (Akira Kurosawa) 8.5/10
--Not necessarily the type of film that brings out the best of Kurosawa, but it's still a solid piece of film-making

Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder) 10/10
--Another film that I hadn't seen in a long time.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Damien wrote:Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme 2008)
1/10
Sheer torture.
Ok, i didn't think it was that bad. I actually liked the performances of DeWitt, Irwin and Hathaway. However near the end of the movie there were about 7 minutes of screentime watching the guests of the party dancing and eating. That part of the film was really a torture.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Adjustment and Work (1986) Frederick Wiseman 5/10

C Block (1994) Zeki Demirkubuz 6/10

Marley and Me (2008) David Frankel 4/10

Yes Man (2008) Peyton Reed 4/10

Typically lame Jim Carrey comedy.

Seven Pounds (2008) Gabriele Muccino 1/10

One of the most preposterous and offensive films I have ever experienced. Is Will Smith trying to be the new Denzel Washington?
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”