Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Re-watched:

Brokeback Mountain 10/10

Election 10/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rain Bard wrote:Like father, like daughter, Damien?

I had forgotten that the movie was written by the Spawn of Satan (I didn't stick around for the credits -- I bolted as soon as it was (mercifully) over). But interestingly, while enduring it, the other film Rachel most put me in mind of was the nearly as hateful Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

Jenny Lumet is Lena Horne's granddaughter, so there should be some talent somewhere in those genes. (Lena once referred to Sidney as "evil.")

Edited By Damien on 1231487990
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Loverboy (Kevin Bacon, dir.) 3/10 Pretty terrible. Annoying script.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Like father, like daughter, Damien?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

And that movie's love/hate streak continues.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I agree. Torture may be a bit strong, but apart from DeWitt's performance, I hated it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme 2008)
1/10

Sheer torture. Contrived, stupid, indulgent and unwaveringly irritating from start to finish. Almost2 hours long and there's not one believable moment in the whole damn thing. An atrocity. A crime against humanity.

Edited By Damien on 1231488053
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Pope´s Toilet (2007) (Uruguay/Brazil/France) 9/10 Poverty and its strong relationship with broken dreams. A gem.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Speed Racer (dir. Andy & Laura Wachowski) - 3.5/10

This is bad. Bad, bad, bad. The cinematic equivalent of shaking keys in front of a baby's face.

BUT....

There is something so fucktastically astonishing about the utter artifice in every frame of Speed Racer. It is emotionally disconnected and boring as any piece of shit you're likely to see this year but on the same note it's so campy and up its own ass as much as any Matrix movie. The difference is that the first Matrix movie while derivative and self-important as it was was one of the strangest flukiest success stories of the past decade. The Wachowski Brothers were clearly revealed as being as pretentious and inept as any other hack storytellers with their next two features. Speed Racer is a different kind of horrible than those two movies. It has no reason to exist in any capacity and takes place in a cross between an acid trip and a sugar rush.

Along with 300, it is the Death of Cinema but its self-importance is far too hysterical to loathe.

Edited By Sabin on 1231294940
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Sinai Field Mission (1978) Frederick Wiseman 4/10

Dull, dull, dull.

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958) Budd Boetticher 6/10

Heroes for Sale (1933) William Wellman 6/10

Enjoyable film with Aline McMahon the standout in the cast.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) Jaromil Jires 7/10

Beautifully made surreal Czech film with effortlessly moves from one striking image to the next.

Nightfall (1956) Jacques Tourneur & The Sniper (1952) Edware Dmytryk both 6/10

If Hollywood would make films like these rather then the bloated and half baked thrillers they churn out nowadays. Sure these are a little silly but they're lean and reasonably well acted and move at a cracking pass. They effortlessly do want they are meant to do, entertain and engage.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1231244126
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Changeling - 5/10

Not a good movie but a good story. Clint Eastwood was the wrong choice for this film. His manner of stripping down doesn't lend itself well to melodramatic sensationalism of this calibre.

The Wrestler - 8.5/10

Loved it. Bold choices elevate behavioral script. Some off-moments but pretty awesome.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Broken English (Zoe Cassavetes)- 6/10

Parker Posey is understated magnificence, deserving of a recommendation.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Love Songs 7/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't know what to say about Boarding Gate. It's very dull in parts and Madsen in particular is very bad but the film has some very entertaining tonal shifts and really picks up as it goes along. I had a lot of fun and there are lots of choices I responded to especially in one small sequence featuring man and woman writhing lifelessly on the ground in two very different ways. Both those in the film and the filmmakers substitute one person from another. It starts very difficult for me but it picked up strongly. Probably a 6 if not a little higher. The more I think about it, the more I really like it in spite of what I don't like about it. The show-stopping S&M visit between Argento and Madsen was rather tortuous.

Edited By Sabin on 1231193442
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Visitor is an engaging film, but I think Richard Jenkins is only good, not great like others would say.

I however did love Let the Right One In...it's a far more realistic vampire tale than any I've seen recently. It drains out the fantasy elements and makes it a story of loneliness and survival. It explores adolescence in an entirely new and evocative way.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”