Hi

All new members must send a PM (Private Message) to OscarGuy via the PM system in order to get access.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

CRASH WINNING OVER BBM WAS HUGE FOR ME (CONSERVATIVE, PLEASE DONT HATE ME)
This is funny, because (while I don't hate "Crash") I was clearly rooting for Brokeback to win. And I consider myself to be pretty conservative. Then again, I don't think of sexuality as an overtly political thing...at least not in terms of liberal or conservative.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Welcome back, Bette.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

Hi everyone

It's been a while since I visited this board - and now I have to introduce myself !

My name is Elizabeth Streep (Bette for short) and I just turned a massive 45!

I live in sunny Melbourne, Victoria Australia and been following the Oscars - and now all the percursor ones - for over 20 years now!

I try to see as many films as possible - prefer the cinema but sometimes will watch on TV or DVD (cinema tickets can be as high as $17.50 nowadays! - I just bought the DVD of Dog Day Afternoon for less than half this!).

My fave film is still "Born Free" - I can't help but become a bucket of water everytime I see this.

The last film to get me reaching for the hankies is "Slumdog Millionaire" - it'll be nominated for Best Pic but the Academy will probably go for the longwinded boring Curious Case!

The best Oscar moment I can recall is 1982 - when Chariots of Fire beat out Reds - and the uproar afterwards by some critics who felt the Academy was being un-American!

The worst? There are heaps but I'll just say of the Best Pic winners in recent times - the Academy got it SOOO WRONG with Rain Man, Shakespeare in love, Gladiator, Million Dollar Baby, Beautiful Mind, Crash and last years overhyped No Country!

Of the acting? Paltrow for Shakespeare ( a truly dreadful performance), Crowe for Gladiator (I was barracking for the lions!) and Swank for Million Dollar Baby (I screamed out "Pull the plug goddamnit!")

Not sure if I've satisfied the "introduction" rules - but fingers crossed I get to start posting cos this years race has some really great films and some rather -ahem- ones!
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Perhaps it was Victor/Victoria?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Very odd, but neither Cisco nor Little Gold Woman have logged on since their initial posts.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

littlegoldwoman wrote:Cisco dear, no offense but you belong more at IMDb.
Wait, wait, wait....your favorite film is The Green Mile and your favorite moment is Crash winning best picture. I'll echo your "no offense" and maybe suggest you heed your own advice?

You'll find some of us here may respect The Dark Knight and whatnot, but nearly all ABHOR both of your lovely anecdotes.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Welcome to the board, Littlegoldwoman and Cisco.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Reza wrote:
Zahveed wrote:Many people here loved The Dark Knight and even more have already accepted that it may be nominated for Best Picture.
Quick wash your mouth out with soap for having said that.
It's not a lie, and no, I'm not going to eat soap for no reason. I'll brush my teeth though.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Zahveed wrote:Many people here loved The Dark Knight and even more have already accepted that it may be nominated for Best Picture.
Quick wash your mouth out with soap for having said that.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

littlegoldwoman wrote:Cisco dear, no offense but you belong more at IMDb. There you will find many who share you erroneous opinion that TDK is cinematic mastery.

TDK was a good movie, great at best, but not worthy of going down in the Oscar history books.....well, any more so than it already is for Ledgers performance.

Movie lovers love TDK, Oscar lovers are another breed of movie lover altogether and you will find most wont agree with you.
And just because a movie makes money doesnt mean its worthy of Oscar.

SWORRY. Just my 2cents
By your assumption, oscar lovers are not movie lovers and only lover movies that are nominated for awards. That is far from the truth, I believe. Many people here loved The Dark Knight and even more have already accepted that it may be nominated for Best Picture. The film has a great screenplay, a great score, some excellent acting, and is shot stupendously. It's not a period-piece but it still reaches a technical and emotional level that a lot of movies don't.
littlegoldwoman
Graduate

Post by littlegoldwoman »

Cisco01 wrote:Hey there...I'm Cisco Elizondo, and I'm here to start waking people up to the Dark Knight being nominated for multiple Oscars.

I am telling you people this right now.

If TDK doesn't get nominated for Best Picture and Christopher Nolan doesn't get nominated for Best Director.....than something is seriously wrong with the Academy. It would plain and simply disrespectful of the Academy if it didn't recognize the terrific work that the crew of the Dark Knight did on the film.

Wally Pfister should also be nominated for best cinemetography easily!

The Dark Knight is MUCH more than a comic genre film and for those of you who don't realize that....well you have problems.

Plus another thing to mention is that it has made 530 million domestically and nearly 1billion ww and IS the second highest grossing domestic film of all time and if a sappy film like Titanic can get nominated and win awards, than why the hell can't TDK? Arguments regarding "adjusted inflation" are weak and not valid. Inflation is part of world economics and The Dark Knight has to deal with the bootleg era.

The bias against comic based genre films shouldn't come into play when it comes to The Dark Knight at all.

That is all for now....thanks!
:cool:
Cisco dear, no offense but you belong more at IMDb. There you will find many who share you erroneous opinion that TDK is cinematic mastery.

TDK was a good movie, great at best, but not worthy of going down in the Oscar history books.....well, any more so than it already is for Ledgers performance.

Movie lovers love TDK, Oscar lovers are another breed of movie lover altogether and you will find most wont agree with you.
And just because a movie makes money doesnt mean its worthy of Oscar.

SWORRY. Just my 2cents
littlegoldwoman
Graduate

Post by littlegoldwoman »

Ok im new and I looked for a place to post this info but didnt see anywhere others were posting it.

What's your name?STACY

Where are you from
THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS, USA

What's your favorite movie?
IMPOSSIBLE TO NARROW IT DOWN TO ONE
THE GREEN MILE
TO SIR WITH LOVE
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
GOODFELLAS
GODFATHER I & II
THELMA & LOUISE
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
YEAH TONS MORE

Whose Oscar win do you most cherish?
AGAIN. SO HARD TO NARROW DOWN. MANY WINS
LIMITED MEMORY
CHARLIE CHAPLINS HONORARY OSCAR WIN
CRASH WINNING OVER BBM WAS HUGE FOR ME (CONSERVATIVE, PLEASE DONT HATE ME)
I LOVED JULIA ROBERTS SPEECH ALTHOUGH I ABHOR HER

Whose Oscar victory do you most revile?
I REJOICE WITH MOST OF THE WINS. I ABHOR IT WHEN SOMEONE WINS AND THEN DISAPPEARS OR DOES CRAP AFTER.
MIRA SORVENO - BLECH
MARISSA TOMEI - PFFT
DONT KNOW IF IM MADDER AT THEM OR THE ACADEMY FOR GETTING IT WRONG

What are your favorite pastimes?
READING, INTERNET, COOKING, IM ADD SO I DO ALMOST EVERYTHING...

What do you do for a living?
IM MOSTLY A HOMESCHOOL MOM. I WAS A COMPETITIVE CHEERLEADING COACH FOR 20 YEARS. I DO PHOTOGRAPHY AND GRAPHIC DESIGN ON THE SIDE.

What brought you to our fine board? (REQUIRED)IVE BEEN OBSESSED WITH OSCAR SINCE 1990. TAPED ALL THE SHOWS (IM MISSING A COUPLE OF THE NEWER ONES)
I READ OSCAR BOOKS AND BRUSH UP ON MY TRIVIA
I HAVE A COLLECTION WITH OH..... AT LEAST HALF THE TOP 6 WINNERS IN IT. MAYBE MORE. IVE BEEN BUYING THEM OFF OF EBAY FOR YEARS. I HAVE WINGS ON VHS, NEVER WATCHED IT. THEY TAKE UP SO MUCH ROOM.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Welcome to the board Cisco, be prepared to debate.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hmm...another shiller. It's been awhile.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cisco01
Graduate

Post by Cisco01 »

Hey there...I'm Cisco Elizondo, and I'm here to start waking people up to the Dark Knight being nominated for multiple Oscars.

I am telling you people this right now.

If TDK doesn't get nominated for Best Picture and Christopher Nolan doesn't get nominated for Best Director.....than something is seriously wrong with the Academy. It would plain and simply disrespectful of the Academy if it didn't recognize the terrific work that the crew of the Dark Knight did on the film.

Wally Pfister should also be nominated for best cinemetography easily!

The Dark Knight is MUCH more than a comic genre film and for those of you who don't realize that....well you have problems.

Plus another thing to mention is that it has made 530 million domestically and nearly 1billion ww and IS the second highest grossing domestic film of all time and if a sappy film like Titanic can get nominated and win awards, than why the hell can't TDK? Arguments regarding "adjusted inflation" are weak and not valid. Inflation is part of world economics and The Dark Knight has to deal with the bootleg era.

The bias against comic based genre films shouldn't come into play when it comes to The Dark Knight at all.

That is all for now....thanks!
:cool:

Return to “Let Me Introduce Myself...”