PGA, DGA, WGA, and ACE predictions

matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

ITALIANO wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote: i wonder if letting madonna-ritchie remake her most popular movie blew her chances. ???

I think that it actually made the original movie famous again all over the world (in Italy by then it was already considered a "classic"), and, by comparison, seem like a masterpiece - which it isn't, though it's very good.

No, Wertmuller's problem is that she was the one who damaged her own reputation - after the 70s, the decade in which she gained a deserved respect and became the most popular female director ever, her (many, too many) movies have been, with a few exceptions, disappointing, and some really dreadful. Even in Italy, her own country, she hasn't got any lifetime achievment award at the Davids, the Silver Ribbons or the Venice Film Festival, which is honestly a bit unfair.

Sounds a bit like the career trajectory of the once mighty Jane Campion...
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

rolotomasi99 wrote: i wonder if letting madonna-ritchie remake her most popular movie blew her chances. ???
I think that it actually made the original movie famous again all over the world (in Italy by then it was already considered a "classic"), and, by comparison, seem like a masterpiece - which it isn't, though it's very good.

No, Wertmuller's problem is that she was the one who damaged her own reputation - after the 70s, the decade in which she gained a deserved respect and became the most popular female director ever, her (many, too many) movies have been, with a few exceptions, disappointing, and some really dreadful. Even in Italy, her own country, she hasn't got any lifetime achievment award at the Davids, the Silver Ribbons or the Venice Film Festival, which is honestly a bit unfair.
Booster Gold
Graduate

Post by Booster Gold »

Sabin wrote:I wrote this in my post but I'll cite it again here. Doesn't one have to be a member of the ASC to be nominated?

No, its not necessary to be a guild member. Some recent non-ASC members who have been nominated: Janusz Kaminski, Seamus McGarvey, Bruno Delbonnel, Pawel Edelman, Rodrigo Prieto, John Mathieson and Peter Pau (Prieto and McGarvey became members after). And Eduardo Serra is a member, while Chris Menges is not.

Of the major guilds, only the Writers Guild has restrictions. They require the film be produced under union rules. So you can scratch WALL•E (and any other animated film) from the list.

The Costume Designers Guild used to, but I think they discontinued that in 2006 (alot of foreign noms that year for the first time), but I'm not 100% certain.
"God? He is the biggest bitch of them all."
- Christophe (South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:But, the Thalberg, Sci-Tech and other honorarium awards still count, IMO.
i am surprised lina wertmuller has never been awarded a lifetime achievement award of any kind. sure not all her movies are perfect, but between SWEPT AWAY, LOVE AND ANARCHY, SEVEN BEAUTIES, and a few others, she has enough of a resume to deserve it. plus, being the first (and so far only the third) woman nominated for director certainly makes her a part of oscar history. she is still alive, 80 years old and not getting any younger, so it is now or never. i wonder if letting madonna-ritchie remake her most popular movie blew her chances. ???
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You are right. I had forgot about her and I was looking at data I posted over a year ago, so she wasn't in the running then. :)

But, the Thalberg, Sci-Tech and other honorarium awards still count, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Actually, there has never been a woman nominated in Animated Feature either. Nor has one ever received an Academy Award of Merit at the Sci-Tech awards. None have received a Thalberg award, a Sawyer award, a Bonner Medal or nods in any of the archaic categories.
marjane satrapi was nominated for PERSEPOLIS.

the other awards are clearly meaningless if looking back on the 100-plus year history of cinema the academy could not find a woman who deserved being recognized for one of these awards.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Actually, there has never been a woman nominated in Animated Feature either. Nor has one ever received an Academy Award of Merit at the Sci-Tech awards. None have received a Thalberg award, a Sawyer award, a Bonner Medal or nods in any of the archaic categories.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

if mandy walker is nominated for an oscar, she will be the first female nominated in the cinematography category. of the categories the oscars currently have, cinematography was the only one (other than acting) where no woman had ever been nominated. the movie may have been dumb, but it would be nice to see a woman finally break into the final oscar category where no woman had been before.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I wrote this in my post but I'll cite it again here. Doesn't one have to be a member of the ASC to be nominated? In which case, I looked on their website and Anthony Dod Mantel, Claudio Miranda, and Mandy Walker are not ASC and thus may not be eligible. I don't believe that Eduardo Serra who shot Defiance is ASC either despite receiving two Oscar nominations. If they are not, then the winner will be Wally Pfister in a walk.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

For ASC, I think the nominees will be...

Australia
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Defiance
Revolutionary Road
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

sometimes the guilds go five-for-five with the oscar nominees, and sometimes they have only two that are similar. i threw in some different choices from what i assume the academy will go with. i also added the cinematographers guild to the mix. i think this year, unlike last year, the directors guild nominations will match up perfectly with the oscar best picture nominees.

PGA

The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Slumdog Millionaire
WALL-E

DGA

The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire

WGA

-original-
Milk
Rachel Getting Married
Synedoche, New Yrok
Tropic Thunder
WALL-E

-adapted-
The Dark Knight
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
Slumdog Millionaire

ACE

-drama-
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire

-comedy/musical-
Burn After Reading
Iron Man
Mamma Mia
Tropic Thunder
WALL-E

ASC

Appaloosa
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Revolutionary Road

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1230942826
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

PGA
The Dark Knight
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
WALL-E

DGA
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon
Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight
Gus Van Sant, Milk

WGA
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
In Bruges
Milk
Rachel Getting Married
Synecdoche, New York
The Wrestler

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

ACE - EDDIES
BEST DRAMATIC EDITING
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire

BEST COMEDIC/MUSICAL EDITING
Burn After Reading
In Bruges
Iron Man
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
WALL-E

AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS

...I'm a little confused because the ASC only nominates members of their guild and I'm not sure if Claudio Miranda, Anthony Dod Mantel, and Mandy Walker are eligible for nominations.

If they are:
Roger Deakins, Revoltuionary Road
Anthony Dod Mantel, Slumdog Millionaire
Claudio Miranda, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Wally Pfister, The Dark Knight
Mandy Walker, Australia

If they are not:
Roger Deakins, Revolutionary Road
Chris Menges, The Reader
Wally Pfister, The Dark Knight
Dick Pope, Happy-Go-Lucky
Harris Savides, Milk

Edited By Sabin on 1230939375
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

PGA
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire

(alt. WALL-E)

DGA
Danny Boyle- Slumdog Millionaire
Jonathan Demme- Rachel Getting Married
David Fincher- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard- Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant- Milk
(alt. Christopher Nolan- The Dark Knight)

WGA

Best Screenplay - Original
In Bruges- Martin McDonagh
Milk- Dustin Lance Black
Rachel Getting Married- Jenny Lumet
WALL-E- Andrew Stanton
The Wrestler- Darren Aronofsky

Best Screenplay - Adapted
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Eric Roth
The Dark Knight- Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, David S. Goyer
Doubt- John Patrick Shanley
Frost/Nixon- Peter Morgan
Slumdog Millionaire- Simon Beaufoy

ACE Eddies

Best Editing - Drama
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler

Best Editing - Musical/Comedy
Burn After Reading
In Bruges
Iron Man
Mama Mia!
WALL-E

Edited By MovieWes on 1231183935
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”