Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Lilies of the Field (Ralph Nelson, 1963) 6/10

Not as charming as it wants to be, but Poitier in this period is infinitely watchable.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Home Before Dark (Mervyn LeRoy) 6.5/10

Jean Simmons won numerous awards recognition for her role of a woman released from a mental institution into the

Which awards?

This is a rare film. Have not seen it.

Edited By Reza on 1230647194
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Precious Doll wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) Woody Allen 3/10
Co-sign. The acclaim for this in particular (but, really, all late-period Woody Allen as far as I'm concerned) is mystifying.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Frost/Nixon - 8/10

Surprisingly captivating.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

abcinyvr wrote:
rain Bard wrote:Sparrow (Johnnie To, 2008)

8/10

I saw this in Sept and agree with your rating. I have thought about it a lot and hope that it shows up somewhere. The cinematography was it's best feature.
Glad I'm not alone. Are you a fan of To in general? I agree that the cinematography was tremendous- or was it the loving digital intermediate? I can't tell anymore. All I know is, I hope I can make time to see this again before it departs from my neighborhood theatre.

Also, it's way better than Slumdog Millionaire (4/10).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Near Death (1989) Frederick Wiseman 9/10

Deaf (1986) Frederick Wiseman 7/10

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) Woody Allen 3/10

Zombie Strippers (2008) Jay Lee 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Dead (John Huston) 9.5/10

The perfect film for this time of year, but oddly enough a good companion piece to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as both films deal with the influence of the dead on the living. This time around I was struck by how short the film is, reflecting both the shortness of the story it's based upon and the shortness of life itself.

Home Before Dark (Mervyn LeRoy) 6.5/10

A film I've been waiting fifty years to see. Slowly paced and at 136 minutes a bit tedious but ultimately worth the time. Jean Simmons won numerous awards recognition for her role of a woman released from a mental institution into the stultifying home life that caused her breakdown in the first place, but failed to garner an Oscar nomination. Probably too similar to previous year winner Joanne Woodward's character in The Three Faces of Eve. Nevertheless Simmons is great, especially in the final scenes when she tells off her four tormentors. Good supporting work from Dan O'Herlihy as her cold husband and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as her knight in shining armor.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

rain Bard wrote:Sparrow (Johnnie To, 2008)

8/10
I saw this in Sept and agree with your rating. I have thought about it a lot and hope that it shows up somewhere. The cinematography was it's best feature.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew From London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes (1965; Ken Annakin) 7/10

Enjoyable, if overlong, comedy adventure set during the early days of aviation. The various nationalities are treated with a rather racist brush, though Jean-Pierre Cassel, Gert Frobe and Alberto Sordi provide most of the laughs, as does Terry-Thomas as the mustache-twirling villain. Terrific air-to-air cinematography.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Man on Wire (James Marsh, 2008) 7/10
Nice artfulness to it; compelling; middle third sagged a bit.

The Reader (Stephen Daldry, 2008) 6/10
Winslet (lead!) and Kross were great; no directorial vision or flare; rather abrupt transitions; presumed psychological complexity of the book not adequately conveyed on screen. Early scenes with Kross were the most compelling.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Un Secret (Claude Miller, 2007)

5/10

The multi-nested flashbacks don't seem to add to the story- I think it could have been pretty powerful without them. Good acting is almost obscured by hurried cutting.

Sparrow (Johnnie To, 2008)

8/10

Probably rated higher on a second viewing. This is glorious, pure cinema from an always-interesting but uneven director. This time he's at the top of his game, perhaps taking a page from Bresson in his choice of subject matter: Hong Kong pickpockets. But this is more of a delightful dreamworld than a gritty look at society's underbelly.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Bedtime Stories (2008; Adam Shankman) 5/10

Barely passable.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Che - Part 1 6/10

I respect what Soderbergh is trying to do, and Del Toro is compelling, but it was just boring. I doubt if i'll see Part 2.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

88 Minutes (2008) - 2/10

For now, couldn't even make it through this thing, may try again cause I have the time and am a glutton for punishment...but I also have Wall-E sitting there staring at me, so Al's chances are slim.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Inkheart (2008) - 6.5/10

In Bruges (2008) - 7/10

Starter for 10 (2006) - 4.5/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”