Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Doubt (**) ... Davis' role is a by-the-numbers scene-stealer, which she executes dutifully. Streep is fussy and interesting to watch, but (possible spoiler) I didn't end up buying her confession of doubt, and was left wondering whether I was actually supposed to doubt her doubt. Hoffman is nothing special, and Amy Adams is aggressively underwhelming.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Long Duel (Ken Anakin, 1967) 5/10

Usual absurd hijinks in the North West Frontier Province during the Raj.....but enjoyable because of the cast...Yul Brynner, Trevor Howard, Harry Andrews and a very young Charlotte Rampling before she discovered Visconti, Cavani and Ozon. Also a pleasure to see India's distinguished stage star Zohra Segal in a bit part.

The story is set in the region from where I come....the NWFP...and I always find it amusing how Hollywood (and the West) treated ''us''. We were always the villains and we remain so to this day...going by what is happening in the north of Pakistan and in Afghanistan. Let's face it ''we'' could never be brought down by the might of the Raj then, and even today's modern technolgy and all the politics of the West are hardly making inroads in coming to terms with the people of this region. And yes the people of this region are religious but they are not fanatics as the western media so gleefully portrays them.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Doubt (2008; John Patrick Shanley) 7.5/10

Despite Shanley's tendancy to underline all the symbolism, the movie is quite riveting, thanks particularly to the performances. This is first time in years that I've actually liked a Philip Seymour Hoffman performance, and Adams continues her run of fine performances; both Hoffman and Adams are, unquestionably, Leads alongside Streep, who is good, though I kept feeling echoes of The Devil Wears Prada in this turn. The highlight, unquestionably, is Viola Davis, who in her one scene provides a lifetime of sorrow and resignation.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Burn After Reading 6/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 8.5/10
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Australia 5/10
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I've Loved You So Long

8.5/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Frost/Nixon (Ron Howard, 2008) 7/10

I must confess I'm not a fan of American politics so was not looking forward to this film. However, I was very surprised to find myself enjoying this thriller-like film and learning a little about Nixon. Langella is very good and Sheen matches him every step of the way. Although I hope Sheen gets a role soon that does not require him to play straight man as in The Queen and now here.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Reader (2008; Stephen Daldry) 8/10
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Tracker (Rolf De Heer) 8/10. I know. This film arrived pretty late to my country. Anyway, it´s a gem.

Edited By Hustler on 1230299575
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) 7/10

Gorgeous to look at and moving at times but so depressing. Death hung heavily over the whole film and everyone in it.

My Winnipeg (2007) Guy Maddin 10/10 (Repeat viewing)

Maddin's best work to date this doco/drama continues some of his on-going obsessions including mother fixation and ice hockey. A lovely poetic piece with a knockout performance by Ann Savage (Detour).

Journey's End (1930) James Whale 6/10

Very early talkie that despite its long running time (just under 130 minutes) and stagey origins is rather fluid.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

The Reader

9/10

Only a couple of MINOR issues for me. Beautiful performances from Kross and Winslet. I can only agree with a Supporting push if it works in her favor.

Speaking of category fraud, now that Philip Seymour Hoffman has NO CHANCE at a nomination for Synecdoche, New York, why don't they push him for lead now? He is clearly a lead.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - (EDIT) whatever grade I gave Slumdog Millionaire + .5 for being such a difficult story to tell in the first place and maybe another + .5 for never boring me and simply remaining beatless and problematic. (EDIT)

In having no idea how to gauge this film's accomplishments, I will simply take Penelope's current grade and feel free to rocket or plummet later. David Fincher doesn't really *do* scenes, does he? He doesn't isolate the moments in which people decide to do things, which is why he works best with protagonists clear-cut by voice-over or archtype. He has neither here.

Edited By Sabin on 1230269611
"How's the despair?"
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

8.5/10 (for now)

Fantastic cinematography, seamless editing, and Taraji P. Henson shines. Sometimes looks too much like a Ralph Lauren ad.

Doubt

10/10

I loved every minute of it.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008; David Fincher) 7/10

No time to write something more thorough; let's just say it's Forrest Gump redux, but instead of an idiot it's a non-entity who sails through life. A great looking film with some occasionally terrific moments that's ultimately rather empty.

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Slumdog Millionaire 7/10

Very nice film. Having won so many awards i expected much more though. I hate when this happens, good films are so much overpraised that when i see them, i feel a bit disappoined even though they were fine. Patel was just good, wonderful job in Cinematography, Editing and Music Score. Wonderful screenplay, i wasn't cazy about Boyle's work though (again because i had heard so many positive things about it).
P.S. The final question of 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' was perhaps the easiest of them all.

Revolutionary Road 7/10

I really wanted to love this film. Well i liked it, but wasn't blown away or anything. Both Di Caprio and Winslet are excellent. I can now understand why Kathy Bates and Michael Shannon didn't have the precursors' attention as expected. They both have very small roles, Shannon in particular (even though wonderful) had only 2 scenes.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1230232308

Return to “Other Film Discussions”