Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I also enjoyed The Last Mistress a great deal. It has aged well in my head and some scenes are hard to forget. I thought Argento was fantastic as this strange and hauntingly bizarre character. She will probably make my top five for 08.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

--Big Magilla wrote:
--FilmFan720 wrote:I'm sorry, but this is one of the more ridiculous conversations this board has had in a while.

Was that before or after I added my two cents? :O

Before, don't worry. :D

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693458
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--FilmFan720 wrote:I'm sorry, but this is one of the more ridiculous conversations this board has had in a while.

Was that before or after I added my two cents? :O

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693432
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

--Okri wrote:Paranoid Park: Should've been better. Staggeringly well shot with the last half in particular very effective. Best shower scene since Psycho. 7/10

I'm guessing you don't mean the one Van Sant himself shot? :;):

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693419
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Heh.

The Last Mistress: The first Breillat film that doesn't suck. Argento's not much an actress, but she's certainly got screen presence. 7/10

Paranoid Park: Should've been better. Staggeringly well shot with the last half in particular very effective. Best shower scene since Psycho. 7/10

You Only Live Once: Henry Fonda only has two acting nominations in his career? Amongst AMPAS' greatest oversights. Incredibly well shot (the jail escape, the robbery), marred by a slightly schematic script. 8/10

Living Out Loud: I'd forgotten how agreeable this film was. Holly Hunter's never been finer, Devito's wonderful, Latifah has charisma to spare. 7.5/10

Flight of the Red Balloon: Largely boring, but when it gets mishevious (that damn balloon, the puppets), it springs to life. 5/10

The Counterfeiters: Ehh. Well acted. Inane framing device. Interesting story that could've been much better. 6/10
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'm sorry, but this is one of the more ridiculous conversations this board has had in a while.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

no one I know who uses it uses it insincerely. Remember that Urban dictionary documents origin and likely at-the-time feelings towards a word. My bad may be a teensy bit flippant, but I've seldom heard it used as a remorseless response.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Reza wrote:
--Damien wrote:The first time I ever heard "my bad" was on this board in a post by Sabin. But that was back in 1999 or 2000.

I also heard ''my bad'' for the first time on this board and I thought the person was making a genuine grammatical mistake as I assumed english was not his first language.

And I am hardly a ''square'' Oscar Guy but this phrase just doesn't sound right. It's like that jive talk rappers use in their songs.

Professor Higgins would shoot on sight anybody who uses this phrase.

This was the first place I'd encountered the expression as well, and the only place I've ever used it. I thought it was short for "sorry for my bad mistake", but the urban dictionary explanation makes it sound as if it is not only bad grammar, but insincere as well.

Accordingly, I shan't use it any more unless I mean to be sarcastic in my response.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693477
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Good thing he's dead then.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:The first time I ever heard "my bad" was on this board in a post by Sabin. But that was back in 1999 or 2000.
I also heard ''my bad'' for the first time on this board and I thought the person was making a genuine grammatical mistake as I assumed english was not his first language.

And I am hardly a ''square'' Oscar Guy but this phrase just doesn't sound right. It's like that jive talk rappers use in their songs.

Professor Higgins would shoot on sight anybody who uses this phrase.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow. I can't believe I misremembered that...maybe it was that there was talk surrounding them getting nominations that I've confused. It did end up with a Makeup nod and was nominated at the Art Directors Guild.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:The Fall is by Tarsem Singh who also did The Cell, which was a surprise inclusion in Art Direction and Costume Design several years ago.
Not at the Oscars.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Fall is by Tarsem Singh who also did The Cell, which was a surprise inclusion in Art Direction and Costume Design several years ago. This year, the film is already in my predictions list as potential upsets. So, no surprises this year. :)
Wesley Lovell
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The Fall 8/10

Wonderful cinematography, art direction, costume design, make up and music score. This film could be a dark horse in every one of these categories at the Oscars. The little girl gave one of the best performances by a child actress i have ever seen.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1229547694
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Slumdog Millionaire 9/10
Felt genuinely moved by this. It was not what I was expecting - right from the first scenes.

Frost/Nixon 7/10
Been a long time since I actually watched, let alone liked, a Ron Howard film. Not really a talented director, but the film worked and moved well.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”