Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The first time I ever heard "my bad" was on this board in a post by Sabin. But that was back in 1999 or 2000.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Don't be a "square", Reza. This is the "happenin'" thing these days.

Seriously, though, I am literate and "my bad" doesn't bother me in the least and some of those statements are very old connotations that no longer apply. "my bad" has moved far away from the gangsta/wannabe vernacular and has entered common usage.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:I'm going to say that this is my bad

I've heard a number of folks use the term......''this is my bad''.....on this Board.

What does it mean?

my bad

Thanks Flipp. The site also had this to say about it:

A grammatically incorrect way of acknowledging (facetiously) a wrongdoing.

Used very commonly by gangsta-wannabes and other sorts of conforming posers, the terrible grammar tends to drive literate people up the wall in absolute irritation.

Incredibly annoying phrase which people use when they do something stupid or wrong

Edited By Reza on 1229524998
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Palermo Shooting 3/10

Sorry, Wim. You probably should have just made a short with Dennis Hopper (not that he's particularly good, but his character is at least an interesting and memorable idea.)
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Wall Street 5/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Funny, I went to see it with my sister because she had a friend in it. I wouldn't have checked it out otherwise.

It is not a completely polished piece (though it was moreso than I was expecting), but it definitely has a strong voice and keeps your attention throughout. Sometimes, that is all you can ask for. Plus, the music ain't half bad.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I was a production assistant on Were the World Mine and drove Zelda Williams to set one day. She asked me if I ever had a Bellini in Paris because that's where they make the best Bellini's. I had to tell her that I didn't entirely know what a Bellini was but I'm sure that was the case.

Only witnessed the shooting of some of the shooting. Seemed like amateur hour. They fed me well. Kinda want to check it out. The short it is based on is very good.

Accurate assessment of "my bad". Makes me never want to say it again.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Were the World Mine (Tom Gustafson, 2008)

I am still not sure exactly where to put this. It is an independent musical gay retelling of A Midsummer's Night Dream, focusing on a gay teen who is playing Puck in his all-guy school production of the play and discovers the formula for the play's love potion. It is a lot of fun, and the actors are very good, but in the end something feels off about the whole thing. A worthwhile evening in the theater though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:

I've heard a number of folks use the term......''this is my bad''.....on this Board.

What does it mean?
my bad
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What does it mean?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (dir. Cristian Mingui) - a respectful 8, now let me drink in peace.

I wrote about it in paragraphs above, but while I am aware that this is probably a great film with a very shrewd sense of set-up/pay-off, and certainly features as great a leading performance as any this year or last, I feel as though I am shortchanged by watching this on the small screen. It is the director's intent to take me through hell and leave me raped, bleeding, behind a gutter, and instead I could pause to grab a beer. I'm going to say that this is my bad, I can only appreciate it from a distance.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Quiet City (dir. Aaron Katz) - 5.5

Between In Search of a Midnight Kiss and Quiet City, there is a good movie. If the former could take the behavioral cues from the latter eschewing androcentric man-child bullshit for relatively mature behavior, I think there could be a good movie. I think that Quiet City has some rather sublime moments regulated to silence but it's ultimately totally innocuous and doesn't really go anywhere. Mumblecore has given us Mutual Appreciation and The Puffy Chair and that's about it, but Quiet City is of interest.

A Christmas Tale (dir. Arnaud Desplechin) - 8

Edited By Sabin on 1229407520
"How's the despair?"
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Reza wrote:Tropic Thunder (Ben Stiller, 2008) 2/10

Absurd that Robert Downey and Tom Cruise have been nominated for Globes. It's Razzies all the way!
Absolutely not wrong choices.
They were both fantastic in Tropic Thunder.
However, i really hope noone will take an Oscar nomination.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright) 6/10

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (Woody Allen) 6.5/10
--A disappointment. Ingmar Bergman's original is much better

Ashes and Diamonds (Andrzej Wajda) 9/10
--The first time I saw this film, I didn't like it that much because it was different from what I expected. I was prepared for either an art film or a commercial suspense film, but this film is neither, it's somewhere in between these two. On subsequent viewings I've liked this film a lot more, this was the third time I saw this film.

Mongol (Sergey Bodrov) 6/10

Tais-toi! (Francis Veber) 4.5/10
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Wow, Rachel Getting Married, Milk. This time of the year I hate myself for living in the south american part. I have to wait till march to see all of these movies.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”