Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Milk 8/10
Great ensemble. Sean Penn shines in this role. Great performances from James Franco , the unrecognisable Emile Hirsch and Diego Luna. Josh Brolin is good, but nothing impressive. I suppose he gets a lot of votes for his other performance this year in W.

Gran Torino 3/10
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Rachel Getting Married (2008, Jonathan Demme) 8/10

Finally caught up with this. This had potential to be a truly great movie but for a few script missteps. Demme's direction is outstanding, and this is one of the best examples of ensemble acting I've seen in some time. I hope SAG takes notice for its ensemble award.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hustler wrote:
Reza wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Don´t be so cruel with Downey Jr! He was pretty funny in this performance.

Actually I preferred Tom Cruise....or was it because his hairstyle in the film is like mine??

Cruise was an unpredictable surprise. He didn´t look like himself. I tried hard to discovered who was beyond that mask.

Cruise basically does a repeat of his Magnolia & Risky Business performances....this time with a bald head.

Edited By Reza on 1229271330
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reza wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Reza wrote:Tropic Thunder (Ben Stiller, 2008) 2/10

Absurd that Robert Downey and Tom Cruise have been nominated for Globes. It's Razzies all the way!

Actually I preferred Tom Cruise....or was it because his hairstyle in the film is like mine??
Cruise was an unpredictable surprise. He didn´t look like himself. I tried hard to discovered who was beyond that mask.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hustler wrote:

Absurd that Robert Downey and Tom Cruise have been nominated for Globes. It's Razzies all the way!

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Tropic Thunder (Ben Stiller, 2008) 2/10

Edited By Reza on 1229267474
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Power and the Glory, 8/10

Preston Sturges' script for this 1933 film was the template for Citizen Kane.

I think this tends to get overstated a bit, as if Welles (or Mankewicz, if you're a Kael-disciple when it comes to Kane's authorship) was simply cribbing from Sturges. But though they share a couple similarities- the ones you've stated, basically- the films are very very different in tone, and the use of temporal hopscotch is focused to a far more integrated purpose in the 1941 film. I'd personally rank the Power and the Glory at somewhere more like a 5 or 6/10, and Kane a 9/10. Colleen Moore is great to see on screen though.
No cribbing. Different tone, yes, but the jumping around from point to point in the "great man"'s life and the "was he or wasn't he" a heel theme, which are explored more fully in Citizen Kane do suggest that it had some influnece on the Kane script.

This was a lost film for many years, but it was well known when Citizen Kane was made eight years later and had to have been an influence on Mankiewicz and Welles even if Kael did overstate its importance.

Moore was a revelation, holding her own against Tracy just one year before she bombed in The Scarlet Letter and her career was essentially over. This was Tracy's best early performance IMO, even topping his work in Borzage's Man's Castle the same year.

8 may be a little high, 7 may be more like it, but I'm not as comfortable with these 1-10 rankings as I am with the old star ratings and alpha grades where I would rate it *** or grade it a B.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:The Power and the Glory, 8/10

Preston Sturges' script for this 1933 film was the template for Citizen Kane.
I think this tends to get overstated a bit, as if Welles (or Mankewicz, if you're a Kael-disciple when it comes to Kane's authorship) was simply cribbing from Sturges. But though they share a couple similarities- the ones you've stated, basically- the films are very very different in tone, and the use of temporal hopscotch is focused to a far more integrated purpose in the 1941 film. I'd personally rank the Power and the Glory at somewhere more like a 5 or 6/10, and Kane a 9/10. Colleen Moore is great to see on screen though.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Nixon (dir. Oliver Stone) - 7.5/10

Almost impossible to gauge as it ricochets from powerful to ludicrous often on a minutely basis. It's a paranoid fever dream of hushed whisperings and wished husperings and a lot if it is incredibly wonky but I find it incessantly gripping and Stone's thesis is fascinating even if his editing trickery becomes tiresome and his portrayal of Nixon's alcoholism is a bit much. After seeing 'Frost/Nixon', I'd argue that Langella's portrayal is more "accurate" but far more anemic, whereas Hopkins is inaccurate but one of the thespian's most lived-in performances (I think he's one of the most overrated actors ever). Mira Sorvino's Oscar victory over Joan Allen is a travesty.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Power and the Glory, 8/10

Preston Sturges' script for this 1933 film was the template for Citizen Kane. Spencer Tracy is the tycoon (railroad instead of newspaper) whose life is told in flashback by his life-long friend and secretary (a subdued Frank Morgan). The story jumps around from recent past to many years ago and back again. Tracy is excellent as is Colleen Moore as his self-sacrificing first wife. Helen Vinson is his cheating second wife.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Cinemanolis wrote:Gomorra - 4/10

I can't get all the fuss about this movie. Il Divo is much better IMO.

Thank you! I continue to be baffled by how much attention it is getting in the precursors! It does not compare to Il Divo.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Madagascar 2

7.5/10

Fun!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

5.5/10
Keanu Reeves was a good choice, but overall the film isn't that good.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Slumdog Millionaire 8/10
Milk 9/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”