Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The Dark Knight (2nd viewing) 7/10
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

9/10

A sweet, nostalgiac film with a terrific sense of its own place and story. Also, very well-paced. Jon Avnet now regrets having toned down the overt lesbianism in Fannie Flagg's novel, but the movie doesn't suffer too much without it. Anchored by Jessica Tandy's Oscar-nominated supporting performance, it showcases a fabulous ensemble of strong actresses including a wonderful Kathy Bates, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker, Cicely Tyson, Grace Zabriskie and Lois Smith. Flagg herself even pops up as a motivational speaker.

The beehive scene and the ending get me every time.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I think I would give Hamlet 2 a 4/10.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Hamlet 2

5/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:In the meantime I am going through the Murnau, Borzage and Fox collection on DVD.

It is on my list to buy....rather steep price on Amazon...but I suppose worth buying even though I have on video Sunrise, Seventh Heaven, Street Angel, The River and Lucky Star....all dupes.

Nights in Rodanthe (George C Wolfe, 2008) 6/10

The film is nothing special ofcourse but what a pleasure to see the star power of Gere and especially Lane (how badly she has aged...those frightning closeups of her wrinkles....yet she remains so sexy) going through the motions. It is not unlike the star power of Grant and Bergman in an equal piece of fluff...Indiscreet (1958).

Edited By Reza on 1228796094
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm still fighting a cold, which is keeping me from the serious driving necessary to take in Milk and Slumdog Millionaire which I hope to see in the next couple of days. In the meantime I am going through the Murnau, Borzage and Fox collection on DVD.

I've already seen Sunrise, which gets better with every viewing and remains 10 out of 10, the Murnau, Borzage and Fox documentary, which is 8 or 9 out of 10 for information and what is apparently all that is left of Borzage's The River and have watched part of Borzage's quintessential Lucky Star, which so far is right up there with his more famous Janet Gaynor-Charles Farrell classics, 7th Heaven and Street Angel.

Incidentally the Fox in Murnau, Borzage and Fox is not the studio, but William Fox, the mogul behind behind the studio.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Frost/Nixon
6/10

The problem is Morgan, not Howard. I just like this kind of thing. It's my kind of summer blockbuster. Has nothing to say about Nixon or Frost.

/The Dark Knight/
7.5 or 8/10
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Desert of the Tartars (1976; Valerio Zurlini) 8/10

In 1907, a young military officer (Jacques Perrin) from an unnamed empire is assigned to an isolated fortress at the frontier, where the soldiers wait and wait and wait for the unseen enemy to attack. A meditative study, which will either thrill you or bore you to tears; I lean towards the former.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Kung Fu Panda

8.5/10

I adored it!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Fall (2006)
7/10
Interesting.
The girl is amazing.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I saw Fanfan la Tulipe (1952) two years ago when it played at Film Forum here in New York. It truly i a delightful movie. Light-hearted, fun and clever, it's a real soufflé, and is sly without (almost miraculously) never becoming coy. It's very funny, very joyful, very exuberant and Gerard Philipe remarkably charming and charismatic.

(For those unfamiliar with the picture, it was directed by Christian-Jaque -- a "Tradition of Quality" filmmaker -- and is a tongue-in-cheek swashbuckler set in 18th century France. Because of its mischievous and saucy tone, I have to believe it was an influence on Tony Richardson and John Osborne when they made Tom Jones -- but it is much, much better thasn that dated and labored comedy.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For me it was the right film at the right time. It really does look and sound great on Blu-ray.

Its mournfulness, alas, didn't do anything to make me feel better. That took Fanfan la Tulipe, a total charmer which I finally caught up with on the Criterion DVD 55 years having been amused by the film's title when it was first advertised in U.S. newspapers as Fan-Fan the Tulip which made it seem like something very naughty in my ten year-old world.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Damien wrote:Am I the only one to think that Dark Knight was neither great nor terrible, simply just fairly mediocre?
I'm about here, though I'd go slightly above "mediocre," because it isn't the pitiable mess that Batman Begins was. Plus this one was far more about urban panic than anything else, which I can dig.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

All About Women (Tsui Hark's new film) - 6/10
Quarantine - 3.5/10
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Journey to the Center of the Earth 5/10
My Mom's New Boyfriend 2/10 (i couldn't avoid it, it was in the airplane)
Waltz with Balshir 8/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”