Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2
6.5/10

Much weaker than the first installment, but still cute and warm.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Milk
8.5/10

Just not sure of greatness, but still pretty great.

Slumdog Millionaire
5.5/10

Probably not this bad but despite moments of grandness, as disingenuous as anything this year.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Iphigenia (Michael Cacoyannis, 1977) 7/10

Basic Instinct (Paul Verhoeven, 1992) 6/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Be Kind Rewind

So sweet. :)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Dangerous Crossing (1953; Joseph M. Newman) 6/10

Wealthy bride (Jeanne Crain) starts to go nuts when her husband goes missing on a trans-Atlantic voyage...and nobody believes her story. This kind of tale is always suspenseful, and here there are some neat "scares," but they telegraph the solution far too soon and Crain's histrionics are a bit much.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Dostana (Tarun Mansukhani, 2008) 8/10

Corny...but funny plot. The ''tame'' sex factor gets it a high rating from me....pure Baywatch nonsense....with sexy Shilpa Shetty, Priyanka Chopra and John Abraham in various forms of undress on and off the beach. The songs are great fun.

Edited By Reza on 1228033912
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Unashamedly...

Scrooged 8/10

I admit it, I love this movie and have seen it more than a dozen times - but not for several years. The rest of the cast outshines Murray - including Carol Kane, John Forsythe, Robert Mitchum, Bobcat Goldthwait (seven Oscar nominees in all). The film moves very fast and doesn't get bogged down sticking too closely to the Dickens short story. Very funny even when I know all the lines: "Have you tried staples?", "The bitch hit me with a toaster".
And, granted, Groundhog Day is a better version of the cranky Bill Murray story. But I still prefer this.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Penelope wrote:
Okri wrote:Red Lights (Cedric Kahn, 2004)

6/10 (maybe 7/10)

Solid first half hour, terrible second half hour, great final forty-five minutes. But that second act was atrocious.

What's wrong with the second act? I loved this movie from beginning to end.

I didn't buy anything in it. In fact, it was so bad I nearly turned the film off. The things that bugged me in the first act just came into fully formed "oh, come ons" in the second act.

MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS (highlight the following to read)

1. We're supposed to believe our main character, Antoine, doesn't drink all that often. But going to pick up his kids from summer camp is so trying that he feels the need to go to every bar along the way. Really? I'll buy it if I have to, but it didn't strike me as being completely plausible.

2. After his wife disappears, he's frantically trying to look for her. When he misses the train, he drives to the next town, so he's clearly very concerned. When he gets there and has missed it, he GOES TO A BAR, tries to buy a guy drink, and generally behaves as an ass. Again, really?

3. The film repeatedly telegraphs the fact that Antoinne will, in fact, run into the prison escapee - the radio, the bartender, the road blockade, so the aforementioned moment in the bar, which already pissed me off, becomes even more unbearable (you can practically hear the film screeching to a halt) when it finally happens.

4. Of course, he has to give the guy a ride. By this point, I was in no mood to ignore the implausibility of the situation, nor did I buy the psychological motivation. I expect this from a bad Hollywood horror film, not a "brilliant, sinister, French thriller" - courtesy Stephen Holden

5. Speaking of implausiblity, we're eventually asked to buy that the man Antoine picks up raped and assaulted his wife on the train.

Additionally to all that, the second act is marked by a sheer lack of tension. There's a great image in the end (the bloody escapee and Antoine's terrified faced) which convinced me to continue on, and I'm glad I did, because largely speaking, the final act is terrific, but sakes alive, I hated that half hour.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Taken (2008)

8.5/10

Though it has a bit of conventional and predictable moments, the film itself is brilliant, i enjoyed it.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A Brief Vacation (1973; Vittorio De Sica) 8/10

Unhappily married factory worker (Florinda Bolkan, in a marvelously understated performance) goes to a sanatarium in the mountains to recover her health, and discovers a new life. A bit thin--especially the male characters--but still extremely moving, and ultimately heartbreaking.

Edited By Penelope on 1227926908
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:Red Lights (Cedric Kahn, 2004)

6/10 (maybe 7/10)

Solid first half hour, terrible second half hour, great final forty-five minutes. But that second act was atrocious.
What's wrong with the second act? I loved this movie from beginning to end.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Cinemanolis wrote:Blossoms In the Dust (1941) 7/10
One of my favorites.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Red Lights (Cedric Kahn, 2004)

6/10 (maybe 7/10)

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Perfect Strangers (1945) 7/10
Lili (1953) 6/10
Mr. Wonderful (1993) 5/10
Blossoms In the Dust (1941) 7/10
The Norman Conquests: Table Manners (1978) 8/10
Get Smart (2008) 6/10
In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2008) 6/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

O, Fantasma

4/10

Hm, interesting plot, very hot actor and not so good movie.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”