Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Taxi to the Dark Side

More educational about the situation than anything. Sickening, and embarrassing to say the least. Not sure if it's better than No End in Sight.

7/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

La Ronde (1950; Max Ophuls) 10/10

Dazzling, dizzying comedy about sex, with a splendid all-star cast, brilliantly directed.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Don't ask why did I see them...

Journey to the Center to the Earth
May I say I had a fun time (though now it feels like lost) watching Fraser doing the same thing he seems to know at acting plus crappy visual effects, bad editing, a corny story targeted to adolescents with some degree of mental retard and in the end another big production about nothing, another proof that in Hollywood is easy to spend some money in films that have no intention to achieve not even the smallest degree of artistry?
It doesn't deserve a star rating, it's just fun, specially if you're some kind of depressed

The Chronicles of Narnya: Prince Caspian
I got to it quite late, after all the summer hype... I could have waited longer. If the first film failed to impressed me, the second one, well... is a little bit more boring. An unappealing (or underused) young cast, bad visual effects (even worst than in the first installment) and an uninvolving/predictable story make this film an instant "if you haven't seen it, don't mind". It doesn't bring anything new to the genre, it doesn't improve the style and it seems the producers were too afraid of changing the formula. A shame cause I thought I was a sucker for this genre... I know I'll forget it sooner than I expect...
4 out of 10
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Cinemanolis wrote:This year i am especially excited since one of the 3 favourites to win the Best Picture award in the Greek competition (and thus be Greece's entry for next years' Oscars) is a film written by a friend of mine, directed by another friend and starring (in a supporting role) another friend. Fingers crossed...

Well the festival is over and the Awards for greek films were given yesterday.

I am very happy to say that my very good friend Christos Loulis won the Best Supporting Actor award and another very good friend won the Best Screenplay award. Three more friends (not very close though) won awards: Tony Lykouressis won the Best Director prize, Minos Matsas the Best Music Score award and Evi Saoulidou the Best Actress award. The first 4 won for the period film 'Slaves In their Bonds', while Evi for the film 'Without'.

'Slaves in their Bonds' won the following awards

Best Director
Best Screenplay
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Music Score
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
Best Sound

but in the final award of the night there was a major upset and the film 'Without' won the Best Picture award, which automatically makes it the greek submission for next year's foreign language film oscar.

I would rate 'Slaves In their Bonds' with 6,5/10 but i think it would have a good chance at the oscars since it is a big production. Well...

For the record here is a short preview trailer of the film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn4GM8SrVlk

and some videos of my friend Christos Loulis

A spot for the campaign against drinking when driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtS-Cj0ZTgc

a TV series spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr7ZunXwzTc

a photo shoot for the naughty ones (you know who you are)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22_aJ5_yCUw&feature=related

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1227653019
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli; 1953)

10/10

Still the greatest musical of them all. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it, and it reveals new riches and nuances every time.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Burke's Law, 6/10

This TV series which began in 1963 was the height of sophistication back then, but more importantly gave prominent roles to a host of actors and actresses whose big screen performances were either winding down or had not yet taken off. Case in point, an episode from December, 1963 I just watched in which 84 year-old Jane Darwell, who was concurrently silently playing the little old bird woman in Mary Poppins, her last role, was feisty and funny as a wheelchair bound landlady who talked a lot, 78 year-old Edward Everett Horton as a woman chasing widower and 61 year-old Elsa Lanchester as the jealous secretary who may have murdered his latest conquest with the aid of 32 year-old Mama's boy Nick Adams.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Continental, a Film Without Guns (CANADA: Stéphane Lafleur, 2007)

5/10

Well, at least it's not heavy-handed, hypocritical, and stylistically all-over-the-map like Crash, but though this "hyperlink drama" has a well-crafted unity to it and some darkly comic scenes, it ends up feeling a lot like a big ol' nothing.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Le Sauvage (1975; Jean-Paul Rappeneau) 8/10

Thoroughly entertaining screwball comedy with Catherine Deneuve as party girl who flees her obsessed fiancé and winds up with reclusive islander Yves Montand, who has a big secret of his own. Story is a bit slight, the comedy over-the-top, the ending a bit abrupt, but the two stars make for a winning team.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Herbstzeitlosen, Die (2006) Switzerland Official entry to the Academy Awards. 7/10
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mmmm, football...

Giants 37-29 victory against the Cardinals (2008; National Football League) 10/10

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1227494523
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Capricorn One (1978; Peter Hyams) 6/10

I was bored and it was on. (What, you think I'd be watching football?) Still has holes in the script, and the acting is pretty blah at times; yet it remains pretty entertaining: the action scenes--especially the final chase between the helicopters and the biplane--hold up very well.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hôtel des Amériques (1981; André Téchiné) 7/10

Unsettling, and slightly disjointed, melodrama with two lonely souls condemned to Biarritz in the off-season falling in love. For much of the movie, I thought Patrick Dewaere's character was a repressed homosexual, pining for his best friend, and using Catherine Deneuve to "prove" his heterosexuality, both to others and himself, but by the end I'm not sure if he just wasn't nuts.

Poor Patrick Dewaere. I'd never seen a movie with him and so looked him up after the movie. Such a handsome and talented man. Broke my heart.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Visitor
6/10

The first scene had my eyes rolling. Thankfully it wasn't for too long. I was more moved by Richard Jenkins' performance in 'Burn After Reading'. It's a fantasy no doubt and an act of safe liberal projection that climaxes in reassurance, perhaps a little problematically so. It's also a relative model of restraint and for that I was grateful. Damn near everyone's role is underwritten; Hiam Abbass is wonderful in hers.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I hope one star means "masterpiece."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The General (Buster Keaton, 1927) 2/10

Edited By Reza on 1228033661

Return to “Other Film Discussions”