Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Indiana Jones: The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

8/10

It would usually be 7/10, but hey, we had Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg, John Williams and the brand of Indiana Jones.. :)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Die Hard 4.0

7.5/10

Kill me, but i enjoyed it. :)
And i love Bruce Willis. :D
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Happy-Go-Lucky

6.5/10

I didn't love Sally Hawkins, and I don't think she'll make my year-end list. I felt kinda bad for the audience, as I think most of them were duped by the trailer which made it seem more laugh out loud and pop-song filled, rather than the Mike Leigh dramedy that could have used subtitles for those not used to watching EastEnders. A couple of great moments, including ones with Eddie Marsan.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Mirrors

8/10

Surprisingly good! Very eerie and spooky, with a great score by Javier Navarrete!
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme)

7/10

Dragged during some parts, especially the wedding rehearsal dinner and the wedding and reception scenes. It was the most fun and coolest wedding I have ever seen but they spent, IMO, too much time on it with scenes that showed various people having fun but not developing characters or moving the story. But what a great wedding!

Very good performances. A lot of needlessly melodramatic scenes but it worked for me because the actors do such a good job. The scene late in the film when Rachel comforts her sister when you were not sure how Rachel would react to what her sister had just done made me tear up a little. I think Rosemarie Dewitt deserves a supporting Oscar nom more than Anne Hathaway deserves a leading nom, though both are very good. She was good as Don Draper's beatnik girlfriend but I did not suspect she had such talent. When Anne and Rosemarie were on the screen together, I was looking at Rosemarie.

Edited By kaytodd on 1226199054
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

City Girl - silent version (Murnau, 1930)

Thanks to Damien for inspiring me to make sure I watched this on my current F.W. Murnau kick. Wonderful film and, as he says in another thread, a fascinating comparison piece to Sunrise. The scene in which the couple run through the fields when they first arrive on Charles Farrel's father's farm is clearly one of those magical scenes in all cinema. I'm almost certain I'd rate this film even higher if I were to see a decent copy, not the highly-dupey VHS version I rented.

8/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Quantum of Solace

6.5/10

Fun, but clumsy sometimes...
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Grace Is Gone

9/10

Beautiful.
A wonderful score by Clint Eastwood...
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The Class
8/10
A wonderful film, but not the Academy's cup of tea. I wouldn't be suprised if it was left out of the Best Foreign Film nominations.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Finally caught up with C.R.A.Z.Y. What a fantastic film! Everything that has been said about the soundtrack is true, but Vallee's attention to detail and some wonderful performances (especially Michel Cote as the father) carry the film to a greater level. I love how rounded and three-dimensional the entire film. Whereas lots of other filmmakers would turn the father into a villain, or condemn Zac for his heterosexual experiences, this film treats them as realities and thinks that every person and move in the film is acceptable and alright. It almost makes the ending even more powerful than it would be in a more conventional film.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

007 Quantum of Solace 8/10
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The Hunger (Steve McQueen)
7/10
Difficult film to sit through.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1225967401
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Eagle Eye

7/10

Fun!
And Shia LaBeouf is a terrific actor with a splendid future.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Tartuffe (F.W.Murnau, 1926)

On just about any other director's resume this would be a major standout. On Murnau's it gets comparatively obscured. Fine comic performances from Caligari stars Lil Dagover & Werner Krauss, and especially from the first Best Actor Oscar winner Emil Jannings.

8/10

Edited By rain Bard on 1225961848
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Broken Arrow (1950; Delmer Daves) 6/10

Once-famous western--with James Stewart as a Civil War vet who helps broker peace with Apache leader Cochise (Jeff Chandler, Oscar nominated but bland)--doesn't hold up: stiff, choppy, only occasionally entertaining.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”