Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sabin wrote:Stuck
6/10

A queer one. It's far too funny to be taken as seriously as the bullshit score would suggest. In an unruly marriage of exploitation cinema, black comedy, and chamber drama, one might say that 'Stuck' gets stuck. But despite intermittent awkwardness of tone, dialogue, and execution, this movie is a fucking hoot, and Mena Suvari has no chance of getting the Oscar nomination she deserves. She's a rather blithe caricaturist and her demented transference is something special. Stephen Rea is the perfectly dour deer in the headlights. Definitely worth checking out, if not entirely believing.
Isn't it based on a true story?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Killer Klowns From Outer Space (Stephen Chiodo, 1988)

3/10.

Honestly, this film is rather successful at achieving its own modest goals: creepy costumes and funhouse sets; inventive death scenes utilizing some pretty good special effects for its day. But the set-up and the characters are less than interesting, to put it mildly. It would be a more interesting and entertaining film if it were more aggressively inept and bizarre, like the Garbage Pail Kids Movie, a maladroit masterwork from approximately the same time period.

Edited By rain Bard on 1225050106
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

It does get better. Not great, but just more odd and I only kept watching to see what would happen next. The last few scenes looked really spectacular, better than most nominees in Visual Effects.

I just watched Frenzy. 6/10

Later today, Rachel Getting Married!
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Southland Tales - 1/10

if it got better after 40 minutes I'll never know
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Midnight Meat Train

Hmmm 7/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Funny Games U.S.

8/10

Oh my God... That was something I've never seen...
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Return of the War Room -- A fine follow-up to the 1993 documentary, in which Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus get all the members of the war room back (and other politicos) to talk about the first film, what happened in 1992 and how it has affected politics today. It is an interesting piece, and has some great material, but doesn't seem as cinematic as the original film. ***
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Golden Blade (Nathan Juran, 1953) 5/10

Colorful Arabian Nights campfest with Rock Hudson front and centre amongst the eastern intrigue helping pretty Piper Laurie (is that a Bronx accent?) along the way.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Stuck
6/10

A queer one. It's far too funny to be taken as seriously as the bullshit score would suggest. In an unruly marriage of exploitation cinema, black comedy, and chamber drama, one might say that 'Stuck' gets stuck. But despite intermittent awkwardness of tone, dialogue, and execution, this movie is a fucking hoot, and Mena Suvari has no chance of getting the Oscar nomination she deserves. She's a rather blithe caricaturist and her demented transference is something special. Stephen Rea is the perfectly dour deer in the headlights. Definitely worth checking out, if not entirely believing.
"How's the despair?"
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Midnight Cowboy 9/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Tropic Thunder - 8/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Last five:

Ghost Town

Cute, had its moments, very good-hearted, needed one more rewrite. 6/10

The Visitor

I've given up on Slant Magazine, but they got this white man's fairy tale right. Thoroughly non-credible central character and character development, conveniently too-good-to-be-true secondaries. Blatantly scratches the upscale indie-film audience where they itch. 3/10

Burn After Reading

This Big Lebowski hater thought it was pretty damn hysterical, until... you thought No Country for Old Men ended abruptly? 7/10

Vicki Cristina Barcelona

I'm convinced location scouting must be the greatest job there is. Ambles along entertainingly enough, but ultimately it's just Woody's reheated leftovers. 5/10

Tropic Thunder

The precredit Robert Downey Jr.-Toby McGuire sneak preview is the movie moment of the year. The rest is loathesome shit. 1.5/10

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1224991304
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Wall-E (second time) - 10/10
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Dans Paris 5/10

Worth seing for Romain Duris and Louis Garrell's nude scenes.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I forgot...

'W.'
2/10
Certainly more proficient than most of that calibre but inspired a sense of WHY AM I WATCHING THIS BULLSHIT! that truthfully makes it a lot worse. Ultimately: fuck this movie.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”