The Oscars in the Movies

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

By the way what a performance given by Tom Cruise! He´s unrecognizable!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sean Penn was the 4th nominee; Tom Hanks may have been the 5th nominee.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Tobey Maguire was one, in Satan's Alley. I can't immediately recall the other two.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

As for Tropic Thunder, who were the other three actors who were presented in that segment appart from Jon Voight and the winner Ben Stiller?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I think that film might be the only one which features a Nomination Announcement Day ceremony.

.....not to mention that this film actually has an Oscar nod to it's credit....and in one of the leading categories!
You must be confused. My quote was referring to For Your Consideration which was not nominated for any Oscars.

Once is Not Enough, which I spoke about in the first part of my post, did receive a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for Brenda Vacarro in a notably paltry year for female actresses.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:I think that film might be the only one which features a Nomination Announcement Day ceremony.
.....not to mention that this film actually has an Oscar nod to it's credit....and in one of the leading categories!
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Doesn't Simone have a big phoney Oscar ceremony?
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough begins with a close-up of Kirk Douglas' character's Oscar, if I recall correctly.

And, although the ceremony isn't featured specifically, everything leading up to it, is a part of For Your Consideration. I think that film might be the only one which features a Nomination Announcement Day ceremony.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Not an Oscar ceremony film, but Frank Tashlin's Susan Slept Here is narrated by an Oscar.

Edited By Damien on 1220254278
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Two TV movies come to mind:

Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows
Introducing Dorothy Dandridge

Both featured THE SAME Oscar ceremony of the lead performers losing to Grace Kelly. Both actresses who played the lead roles won Emmys.

There's also: The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult.

Edited By anonymous on 1220244103
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Saw Tropic Thunder tonight and the film's climax had me wondering, how many films have featured an Academy Awards ceremony (either a real one [but not in a documentary] or fictional). Off the top of my head, I can think of:

A Star is Born (1937 and 1954)
The Oscar
California Suite
Mommie Dearest
The Bodyguard
Chaplin
In & Out
Tropic Thunder

There must be others....

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”