Hamlet 2

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

What a mess. It felt like I watched a movie where the editor had no idea what the movie was about and was told a goal for the movie's running time and he just chopped his way through the damn thing. The trailer had most of the gags (I think they should have left Elisabeth Shue out of the trailer and made that one a surprise) and even some of those were tired by the time I actually saw the context they were in. I would have rather seen the actual Hamlet 2, not this. Although, I will say I hope "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" makes it to the Best Song category, just to see it performed on stage (much like how I wondered how "Blame Canada" was going to be performed).
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hamlet 2 has some laugh out loud moments, and all of those are due entirely to Steve Coogan's genuinely inspired performance; he plays this hapless, oblivious boob without any trace of irony or guile whatsoever. I can't imagine the movie without him--it simply wouldn't work--the script is a slapdash of throwing everything in for the sake of laugh, some of which don't work, and the last 2 minutes undercut the message (although that appears to be intentional, if you read the interview with director Andrew Fleming over at AfterElton; I thought it ruined the tone of the film).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The advance reviews are, so far, mixed to negative, so I doubt it will have much of an impact.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

What about original screenplay? Perhaps too raunchy?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I doubt this raunchy satire from director/co-writer Andrew Fleming (Threesome, Dick, The Craft) and writer Pam Brady (South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, Team America: World Police) will register much with Oscar voters...except possibly Original Song--the movie has, as far as I know, 2 potential Original Songs: "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus" and "As Gay As the Day is Long." You can hear them (warning, NSFW, and doesn't work on MAC) here.

Edited By Penelope on 1218117374

Return to “2008”