X-Men: an actual adaptation

Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

I can't think of anything I'd like to see less than a Stephen Daldry-directed X-Men film. That would just be weird and stupid (and, most likely, boring as hell).

Having now seen The Reader, I agree. I was just trying to list off directors who are good at directing major ensamble casts. I would have said Robert Altman had he not passed, but I think we would have seen a very effects-absent version of X-Men.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

--Hollywood Z wrote:While I enjoyed X-Mens one and two (certainly not three), I could never escape the fact that I felt the movies never quite captured the true essences of the comic books, which played out more like an ensamble piece instead of the Wolverine and Storm show. It would be nice to see a filmmaker that knows how to handle an ensamble cast well (Paul Thomas Anderson or Stephen Daldry) tackle this story and actually capture it's sense of isolationism and true nature of the characters.

I can't think of anything I'd like to see less than a Stephen Daldry-directed X-Men film. That would just be weird and stupid (and, most likely, boring as hell).

Edited By OscarGuy on 1257112609
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--OscarGuy wrote:The first issues of X-Men were the most misogynistic thing I think I've ever read. They would HAVE to do significant re-writes to accomplish anything.

Hence the word homage.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1257112598
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The first issues of X-Men were the most misogynistic thing I think I've ever read. They would HAVE to do significant re-writes to accomplish anything.

But, I really think X-Men IS an ensemble piece and it was done absolutely right.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

An idea crossed my mind the other day when I skimming through Wikipedia pages (and when I realized Heroes was a blatant rip-off) that could work as a trilogy. The first film in the series, which would actually be a reboot in the sense that Batman Begins was, would consist of the original five X-men: Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, and Marvel Girl. They would, of course, fight Magneto - but this would be the only time they would do so. It would be an homage to the first issue, but not exactly a direct adaptation. There would be additions to the team in the second film but there would be a focus on only five characters much like the first: possibly Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean Grey. Beast will develop the serum for mutation (turning him into the hairy, blue creature most know), Wolverine will be encountered as an adversary at first, and Cyclops and Jean Grey will start their relationship. They'd fight the Sentinels. Then in the third one we'd go through another change in the five and they'd fight Apocalypse. There wouldn't be a huge team of villains, maybe on here and there as a nuisance but nothing really important.

That's my nerd card for the day.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

While I enjoyed X-Mens one and two (certainly not three), I could never escape the fact that I felt the movies never quite captured the true essences of the comic books, which played out more like an ensamble piece instead of the Wolverine and Storm show. It would be nice to see a filmmaker that knows how to handle an ensamble cast well (Paul Thomas Anderson or Stephen Daldry) tackle this story and actually capture it's sense of isolationism and true nature of the characters.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation

Return to “Dream Projects”