Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hustler wrote:
Zahveed wrote:
Hustler wrote:I have both.

As do I.

LOL! I knew that you was implying this.
Haha, I didn't know if you did or not. Damn internet text and it's lack of vocal emotion.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Zahveed wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Most of you that have pets only have pets and no children, but when you have both you can see where the line is.
I have both.

As do I.
LOL! I knew that you was implying this.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

OscarGuy wrote:But whether we acknowledge the bond is different, it's not appropriate to ridicule someone for feeling their pets are their children.

There was no ridiculing; he was simply incorrect.

...reasoning between right and wrong is the only true distinction between pet and child...

Well, that and the whole species thing.

Edited By paperboy on 1218257777
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hustler wrote:
Most of you that have pets only have pets and no children, but when you have both you can see where the line is.
I have both.
As do I.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But whether we acknowledge the bond is different, it's not appropriate to ridicule someone for feeling their pets are their children. Pets learn from what they are taught, just like children...reasoning between right and wrong is the only true distinction between pet and child...and to an extent, some pets know the difference between right and wrong more distinctly than do many adults.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I have both.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:Pets are significantly better behaved than children and understand unconditional love. I've always believed that instead of "Pet" deposits, they should have "Children" deposits on rental property...

Of course, I guess some people don't understand the familial bond between a human and his or her pet. It's a rather sad thing when someone can't understand that power.
Personal traits and knowledge can be passed down from generation to generation and form an emotional bond that pets can't attain. I understand pets can be better behaved than some children, but that's because animals are whipped. Humans are more likely to rebel because their mind continues to expand when new ideas are introduced, whereas pets know you feed them and shelter them; there's no point in biting the hand that feeds you. It's a different kind of love. Most of you that have pets only have pets and no children, but when you have both you can see where the line is.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, they're not human, but they are living creatures that do offer comfort and companionship to people.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:Pets are significantly better behaved than children and understand unconditional love. I've always believed that instead of "Pet" deposits, they should have "Children" deposits on rental property...
If pets behave better than children, it's because the parents were failures and didn't teach their children how to act.
Of course, I guess some people don't understand the familial bond between a human and his or her pet. It's a rather sad thing when someone can't understand that power.

I understand the bond between pets and humans. But I also understand that pets are not people, and are not a replacement for relationships between humans.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Perhaps would they be thinking of accusing the dogs?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Pets are significantly better behaved than children and understand unconditional love. I've always believed that instead of "Pet" deposits, they should have "Children" deposits on rental property...

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

"Our dogs were our children," said the 37-year-old Calvo

No, they were your pets. Not the same thing at all.

Edited By paperboy on 1218202706
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

There had to be a large number of employees of the Prince Georges County Police Department involved in this raid so I have to believe they knew whose home they were raiding. Did they really think the mayor of Berwyn Heights or members of his household were dangerous drug dealers?

This story has interested me since I first heard it. The county police chief said publicly that he cannot rule out that the Calvos were involved in drug dealing, though that sounds absurd on its face. Some of you guys live in the D.C. area. Has Calvo had any problems with powerful people in Prince Georges county?

The more likely explanation is that the Prince Georges Police Chief had visions of spending the next few weeks being interviewed on cable news shows and running for statewide office soon. When he found out that one of those packages of marijuana was on its way to Calvo's home, he probably prayed that he would be involved in bringing down a politician involved in drug dealing. So he planned a violent raid sure to get lots of publicity. I am glad it blew up in his face. Too bad the Calvos had to suffer so much.

Edited By kaytodd on 1218199436
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:This is a very sad bit of news...Some people don't deserve to live...
:D

Thank you Oscar Guy. This is the funniest comment I have read here in a long time. You made my day, really.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is a very sad bit of news...Some people don't deserve to live...

Police raid Md. mayor's home and kill his dogs

By BRETT ZONGKER, Associated Press Writer 7 minutes ago

BERWYN HEIGHTS, Md. - Mayor Cheye Calvo got home from work, saw a package addressed to his wife on the front porch and brought it inside, putting it on a table.

Suddenly, police with guns drawn kicked in the door and stormed in, shooting to death the couple's two dogs and seizing the unopened package.

In it were 32 pounds of marijuana. But the drugs evidently didn't belong to the couple.

Police say the couple appeared to be innocent victims of a scheme by two men to smuggle millions of dollars worth of marijuana by having it delivered to about a half-dozen unsuspecting recipients.

The two men under arrest include a FedEx deliveryman; investigators said the deliveryman would drop off a package outside a home, and the other man would come by a short time later and pick it up.

Now, federal authorities say they're looking into how local law enforcement handled the July 29 raid. FBI Agent Rich Wolf said late Thursday that the bureau had opened a civil rights investigation into the case.

A furious Calvo said earlier Thursday that he and his wife, Trinity Tomsic, had asked the government to investigate.

"Trinity was an innocent victim and random victim," Calvo said outside his two-story, red-brick house in this middle-class Washington suburb of about 3,000 people. "We were harmed by the very people who took an oath to protect us."

Calvo insisted the couple's two black Labradors were gentle creatures and said police apparently killed them "for sport," gunning down one of them as it was running away.

"Our dogs were our children," said the 37-year-old Calvo. "They were the reason we bought this house because it had a big yard for them to run in."

The mayor, who was changing his clothes when police burst in, also complained that he was handcuffed in his boxer shorts for about two hours along with his mother-in-law, and said the officers didn't believe him when he told them he was the mayor. No charges were brought against Calvo or his wife, who came home in the middle of the raid.

Prince George's County Police Chief Melvin High said Wednesday that Calvo and his family were "most likely ... innocent victims," but he would not rule out their involvement, and he defended the way the raid was conducted. He and other officials did not apologize for killing the dogs, saying the officers felt threatened.

The FBI will monitor how effective, fair and professional the law enforcement agency's conduct was during the incident, Wolf said. A police spokesman declined comment Thursday on the FBI investigation.

Police announced Wednesday they had arrested two men suspected in a plot to smuggle 417 pounds of marijuana, and seized a total of $3.6 million in pot. Investigators said the package that arrived on Calvo's porch had been sent from Los Angeles via FedEx, and they had been tracking it ever since it drew the attention of a drug-sniffing dog in Arizona.

Police intercepted it in Maryland, and an undercover detective posing as a deliveryman took it to the Calvo home.

Calvo's defenders — including the Berwyn Heights police chief, who said his department should have been alerted ahead of time — said police had no right to enter the home without knocking.

But officials insisted they acted within the law, saying the operation was compromised when Calvo's mother-in-law saw officers approaching the house and screamed. That could have given someone time to grab a gun or destroy evidence, authorities said.

Neighbors in Berwyn Heights, which Calvo described as "Mayberry inside the Capital Beltway," have rallied around the couple. On Sunday night, supporters gathered on a ballfield to pay tribute to the family and the dogs. A banner on the wooden fence around Calvo's yard read, "Cheye and Trinity, We support you, Friends and Citizens of Berwyn Heights." Around it were dozens of handwritten messages from supporters.

In addition to being the part-time mayor, Calvo works at a nonprofit foundation that runs boarding schools. His wife is a state finance officer.

"When all of this happened I was flabbergasted," said next-door neighbor Edward Alexander. "I was completely stunned because those dogs didn't hurt anybody. They barely bark."

The case is the latest embarrassment for Prince George's County officials. A former police officer was sentenced in May to 45 years in prison for shooting two furniture deliverymen at his home last year, one of them fatally. He claimed that they attacked him. In June, a suspect jailed in the death of a police officer was found strangled in his cell.

Calvo said he was astonished that police have not only failed to apologize, but declined to clear the couple's names.

His wife spoke through tears as she described an encounter with a girl who used to see the couple walking their dogs.

"She gave me a big hug and she said, `If the police shot your dogs dead and did this to you, how can I trust them?'" Tomsic said. "I don't want people to feel like that. I just want them to be proud of our police and proud to live in Prince George's County."
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Current Events”