La Sconosciuta (The Unknown)

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:
Hustler wrote:you know, I´ve seen it recently and I don´t remember anything related to a fake signature.

Maybe they cut it from the Argentinian copy - not a big loss anyway. At one point, I seem to remember, she uses the old, sick lady's hand to write the woman's signature.
Oh yep! I can remember now.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:you know, I´ve seen it recently and I don´t remember anything related to a fake signature.
Maybe they cut it from the Argentinian copy - not a big loss anyway. At one point, I seem to remember, she uses the old, sick lady's hand to write the woman's signature.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Too baroque for my tastes, too "feverish", and not very believable (I don't remember it well now, but there was something about a fake signature, I think, that was kind of laughable). Also - and despite the fact that Tornatore IS, or can be, a good director - I found it very badly shot. But I must admit that it was liked by many, and it was a box office hit here.

By the way, years ago Tornatore did direct a sort-of thriller, with some philosophical overtones - more interesting than this one I think. The Italian title was Una pura formalità, and I believe it must have been shown in Argentina. It starred Gerard Depardieu and Roman Polanski. If you like Tornatore, you should see it.

you know, I´ve seen it recently and I don´t remember anything related to a fake signature.
The point with this movie is that I felt a pretty deep connection with it, in terms of intensity. It doesn´t happen to me frequently. Something was touched inside me. I retained that feeling for hours. In general, movies about strong stories that are presented in a solid way like this one, have the ability to produce me a firm convulsion. Tornatore has that strange influx in me.
When I´ve got separated from my first marriage I went to see Stanno Tutti Bene and I couldn´t stop crying during all the film. I think it was the symbolic image of Mastroianni´s children as he remembered them what caused me that reaction.
As for Una Pura Formailitá, It wasn´t released in Argentina, Anyway, I´ll try to get it on DVD.

Edited By Hustler on 1211287100
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:I saw the trailer last week. It's opening soon here in New York.
Hope you see it soon.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Hustler wrote:why?

Too baroque for my tastes, too "feverish", and not very believable (I don't remember it well now, but there was something about a fake signature, I think, that was kind of laughable). Also - and despite the fact that Tornatore IS, or can be, a good director - I found it very badly shot. But I must admit that it was liked by many, and it was a box office hit here.

By the way, years ago Tornatore did direct a sort-of thriller, with some philosophical overtones - more interesting than this one I think. The Italian title was Una pura formalità, and I believe it must have been shown in Argentina. It starred Gerard Depardieu and Roman Polanski. If you like Tornatore, you should see it.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1211282995
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I saw the trailer last week. It's opening soon here in New York.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Thanks for watching it - on behalf of my troubled country :) ...

As many others did - even in Italy - you liked it. As you know it was also the big winner at last year's David di Donatello awards, the Italian Oscars. And Ksenia Rappaport's as Best Actress was certainly deserved. But no, I didn't enjoy it much.
why?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thanks for watching it - on behalf of my troubled country :) ...

As many others did - even in Italy - you liked it. As you know it was also the big winner at last year's David di Donatello awards, the Italian Oscars. And Ksenia Rappaport's as Best Actress was certainly deserved. But no, I didn't enjoy it much.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Finally, I´ve seen Tornatore´s last movie, who was the italian entry for last year´s academy awards.
As I´ve promised to Italiano, here´s my comment:
First of all I have to admit that this movie marks a break from his previous filmography, presenting a very interesting thriller with some touches of film noir.
The cast is superb starring an unrecognizable Michele Placido and the vibrant Ksenia Rappoport.
Il grande Maestro Ennio Morricone delights us again with an impressive score alternating two main themes. One of them reminds Bernard Hermann´s style.
I enjoyed this movie so much. I can recognize some similarities between this film and a great argentinean movie called "Rosaura a las diez" from 1958, directed by Mario Soffici, which of course I recommend it.

Return to “2008”