Best Actress

1998 through 2007
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Dear me, how could I confuse New York and the New Yorker.

The mention of Pauline Kael, though in error, was merely meant as a reference point. Anyone who knows me knows I hated the vile bitch.

I don't hate Cotillard. How can one hate an indiot? I pity her. And I am not going to defend my love of the French any further than I already did several posts down. Perhaps, Penelope, you shoud direct your question about ever having been to France to the Englishman I was quoting.

Having had a nearly forty year career in banking I have enough inside information to write an expose that would tear the walls down, but why bite the hand that feeds me? Not until my 401 (K) payments stop coming!

But back to the issue at hand. There is plenty blame to go around for the manner in which things were handled on 9/11, but it was al-Quida who rammed the planes into the twin towers not the "money-suckers" who owned the building. It's just outrageous. It would be just as outrageous if it were Oliver Stone or Mel Gibson or Johnny Depp who said it, but they didn't, Marion Cotillard did and only time will tell how it affects her career. Given the cynical world we live in it will probably make her a bigger star. Reporters will fall over one another clamoring for interviews in which she will say even more outrageous things that will have legions of gullible fans continuing to ooh and aah at her every utterance. Or they will quickly find she's an empty-headed starlet whose charm has taken her about as far as she's meant to go and her career will evaproate as quickly as her friend Audrey Tautou's after her next American film.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1204608592
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Yes. I mean, my mother also worked in a bank. Obviously, absolutely everyone who has ever worked in a bank is a Nazi. Most of them have probably eaten children & puppies, too.

I knew that one stew my mom cooked when I was 12 tasted funny. Must've been puppy fetus mixed with day-old infant.

Edited By anonymous on 1204607222
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

anonymous wrote:Banks? Enemies?

How the hell are banks evil? My parents both worked in banks. Are you labeling them as Nazis?

Ah, MORE Gold Derby-isms! Though in your case anonymous, this wasn't a "shockeroo."

And THANK YOU Penelope! As someone living in France right now, can I just call "bullshit" on Magilla's comments? The French have been far more welcoming and open minded than Americans usually are to people who visit the American Empire. I've found a healthy criticism and denouncement of the Bush Administration, but nothing anti-American. I forgot who said it here, but it's true that American "liberals" are OK with criticizing America -- just so long as no durn furriners do it.

Geez, Sarkozy almost sucks off America's cock on a daily basis when he talks about wanting American modernization in France.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Anti-Americanism is so deep-rooted in France, that it’s not surprising that she thinks like this.

Have you ever been to France, Magilla? This is just a ridiculous statement. I've always found it fascinating that Americans are so hateful to the French--our first ally, the only major power that we've NEVER gone to war against, who have embraced so many of our cultural ideas, images, films, etc. Sure, the French are, well, Frenchly arrogant--their proud of their history and culture and are keen to protect it--but the level of their disdain for Americans in no way matches the disdain Americans strangely have for the French. I've never understood this and never will.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Yes. I mean, my mother also worked in a bank. Obviously, absolutely everyone who has ever worked in a bank is a Nazi. Most of them have probably eaten children & puppies, too.

Come on Irvin.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Banks? Enemies?

How the hell are banks evil? My parents both worked in banks. Are you labeling them as Nazis?
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Magilla, if you took an ounce of the venom you have for Cotillard and directed at the owners & overlords of our world--the heads of banks and corporations and governments, our real enemies--you might make a decent progressive.

But if I remember correctly, he thinks criticizing the banking system is "nonsense." And thank you Zach for pointing out what should have been obvious: that she didn't DENY the 9-11 attacks or made fun of the victims, so any analogy to minimizing the Holocaust makes absolutely no sense. (And of course, absolutely no sense is why it fits in so well here on this board. Perhaps I was wrong about Gold Derby comments not belonging here.)

Also, citing Pauline Kael - one of the most immature and overrated critics ever - hardly elevates any publication.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Can someone who's so infuriated by Cotillard's remarks please explain without foaming at the mouth precisely what she said that was horribly offensive? I mean, pointing out what she actually said, which had nothing to do with the American people or loss of life? Lumping her comments in analogously with Holocaust denial is simply a case of fuzzy, unethical, dishonest thinking, and is a logical fallacy anyway. She didn't deny 9/11 happened, she didn't say nobody died or that she was happy about the victims' fates, she only regurgitated some of the ideas of the 9/11 Truth movement. And that's a movement one may not agree with on a number of important points, but they have the courage, at least, to ask the all-important question most Americans--even good Americans--are, understandably, much too terrified to ask: cui bono? The answer to this question simply points out the underbelly of the spectacular lie we've been coaxed into collectively living. It goes much deeper than the last eight years.

Magilla, if you took an ounce of the venom you have for Cotillard and directed at the owners & overlords of our world--the heads of banks and corporations and governments, our real enemies--you might make a decent progressive.

And Pauline Kael was the resident critic of The New YorkER, which as we all know is not the "restaurant & entertainment" guide known as New York Magazine.

Edited By Johnny Guitar on 1204604727
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler wrote:I can´t believe that insulting act of xenophobia. This lack of respect towards Marion Cotillard is humillating.
Don´t underestimate Italiano´s words Magilla. You´re sorrounded by people full of shit in their minds. American voted twice Mr. Bush, the icon of Xenophobia. What can we expect?
As someone on another board put it:

I can’t believe people are defending this crap. Are people really such suckers for a pretty face and a continental accent, that they’ll try and downplay the sheer bloody minded offensiveness and idiocy of her statements? I guess they are.

People online have checked and double-checked her original statements and translations thereof. She wasn’t taken out of context. She pretty much said the Americans destroyed the twin towers themselves, because they wanted it rebuilt and flying planes into it and killing a couple of thousand American and foreign nationals was cheaper than just renovating the towers. WTF!

Imagine if she came out with some cute little “theory” about the Jews and the Holocaust. About how it’s all a big Jewish conspiracy to exaggerate the numbers of Jews who died in the holocaust. Because there are many people who suscribe to that dumbasss “theory” as well. They are also morons (and bigots, whether they realise it or not). Anti-Americanism is so deep-rooted in France, that it’s not surprising that she thinks like this. But that doesn’t make it right. And anti-Americanism seems to be one of the last accepted forms of prejudice and bigotry (and I’m saying this as a British citizen btw, not as some outraged yank).

She’s a fine actress, and I was happy when she won the oscar. But she deserves every bit of scorn and ridicule she gets for this nonsense.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Isn't New York Magazine one of those right wing nutter publications?
No, it's basically a restaurant and entertainment guide.

Pauline Kael was its resident critic for decades.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I can´t believe that insulting act of xenophobia. This lack of respect towards Marion Cotillard is humillating.
Don´t underestimate Italiano´s words Magilla. You´re sorrounded by people full of shit in their minds. American voted twice Mr. Bush, the icon of Xenophobia. What can we expect?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Nik wrote:I totally believe the Anglican Church had something to do with "Princess" Diana's death. So yeah, her comments are silly but kind of endearing.
God, I read Anglican Church as Anton Chigurh.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:Step 3: Be French.
Ah, yes, xenophobic racism. Man, this is a time when I'm ashamed to be an American and associated with the ignorant bigots in our country.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Isn't New York Magazine one of those right wing nutter publications?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Big Magilla wrote:Step 2: After denigrating America's greatest tragedy,

If I were Native American or Black, I'd be so pissed right now. Shut up, New York Magazine.

Edited By Nik on 1204593388

Return to “The 8th Decade”