Sijmen at the Oscars

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Greg wrote:Sijmen, if your film wins, you should go on stage even though you're not personally nominated. You can always say, "If Al Gore did it, so can I!"
Marshall also did it, when Chicago won Best Picture :)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

sijmen wrote:I remember Whoopy Goldberg mentioning an Oscar Speech from the Short Documentary winner at the end of the 1999-show, but I don't remember the speech itself. I can't find it on youtube either. You made me very curious, Harry.
Keiko Ibi, very young and very nice-looking, came to restrained tears at thanking her parents for letting her, a little/young japanese girl to go to America to pursue her dreams of becoming a filmmaker, and there she was, with an Oscar in her hands... so perfect a moment...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Do you need a date? :;):

Edited By flipp525 on 1201550195
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

We talked about me going on stage, but my biggest fear is to stand there like a Rob Marshal - I don't know how Mr. Marshall felt back in 2003, but I would feel like an complete idiot...

Yesterday, I saw the Tom Hanks' how to prepare an Oscar speech- DVD, which every nominee receives. It's real fun, with all sorts of fragments of great and poor Oscar speeches (in fact the 'Dress costs more than my film-speech' is among the great examples). It is meant to inspire everybody to come up with original and very brief speeches. (and it starts with Tom Hanks saying: 'congratulations with your nomination!' - which kinda made me feel even more proud :D)

BTW, If anyone is in LA between feb. 19 and 24, talk to me. Maybe we can meet?

There is a screening + pannel discussion of the short films in LA on Feb. 19, which I'll attend.

There is a screening in New York Feb. 16, which the producer Anja will attend.

I hope that most of you will see the short films somehow! I'm dying to know your opinions!

(PS, if you know anybody who has a copy of Tanghi and is thinking about putting it on the internet, please be so kind to inform him, we will hunt him down and sue his ass!)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sijmen, if your film wins, you should go on stage even though you're not personally nominated. You can always say, "If Al Gore did it, so can I!"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

sijmen wrote:BTW, I found a start of an Oscar speech, what do you think of this: "We are the short people in a room filled with giants"
:-)

That reminds me of Paul Williams, who is barely over 5 feet tall, winning for a song from A Star Is Born and saying he felt odd thanking the little people.

Edited By Greg on 1201383240
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Article about Short Films nominated on Red Carpet District in Variety:
http://www.variety.com/blog/890000489.html
Geert, could we encourage you to write a quick diary daily, and post it here? I am sure we are all living vicariously through you--I venture to say none of us have ever attended ths Oscars.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

sijmen wrote:She also told about the seatfillers. They are all standing in a cue outside the theatre, and when you leave the first in line, takes a look at your card, is very dissapointed to be the seatfiller of a 'Short-person' (curses loud), and goes to your seat :-). When you come back, your seatfiller has to stand at the end of the 'seat filler's row'. Waiting untill it's his turn again...

I love those stories.
I love little anecdotes like that. I can't wait for you to get back and tell us some more, especially if your film wins. I hope Anja uses your speech recommendation of "we're the little people in a room filled with giants".
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

sijmen wrote:BTW, I found a start of an Oscar speech, what do you think of this: "We are the short people in a room filled with giants"
Love it!

Sometimes the Short subject winners can be among the most memorable of the evening's participants. For instance there was Jessica Yu: "You know you've entered into new territory when you realize your dress costs more than your film."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

I remember Whoopy Goldberg mentioning an Oscar Speech from the Short Documentary winner at the end of the 1999-show, but I don't remember the speech itself. I can't find it on youtube either. You made me very curious, Harry.

I don't care that I won't win the golden statue myself or that I won't be on the stage even if we win. The only reason why I regret not being personally nominated, is IMDB. That would be sooo cool to read on my Imdb-profile: "nominated for an Oscar" :-)

Tomorow we all come together to discuss when we'll go and where we'll sleep, and what we'll wear. It's our producer Anja's second nomination, so she'll knows some funny inside info...

She allready told us that we will be invited to the show and the Governor's Ball, but that we won't get any goody bag. That's for everybody except the Short film people. (Well, I allready have a television :)

She also told about the seatfillers. They are all standing in a cue outside the theatre, and when you leave the first in line, takes a look at your card, is very dissapointed to be the seatfiller of a 'Short-person' (curses loud), and goes to your seat :-). When you come back, your seatfiller has to stand at the end of the 'seat filler's row'. Waiting untill it's his turn again...

I love those stories.

Another one she told: She and the director were sitting at the governor's ball and they noticed that the room was going empty, but they had no idea where everybody was going. They just sat there, and decided to go to their hotel to celebrate on their own :-)
(this year she is determined to find out where the parties are and how to sneak in. I'll help her as much as I can)

BTW, I found a start of an Oscar speech, what do you think of this: "We are the short people in a room filled with giants"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I wouldn't call Eidtman a lurker. He was a freqeunt conributer before revealign his identity. A lurker is someone who reads posts but doesn't comment.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I really liked Andrew and felt bad for the way he parted with the board. He edited a lot of my favorite films (Desperately Seeking Susan, Running on Empty, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?). I'd never promote censoring someone's opinion, but I think there were certain folks around here without any sort of social filter that unnecessarily raked Chocolat under the coals. He seemed very hurt when he finally left.

Edited By flipp525 on 1201234311
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:If there's a way you can show us the film, that would be... um, inadvisible. Because then we'll say "it sucks!" and drive you away, just like we did to poor Andrew Mondshein.

Can you explain a little bit more this? What happened? Isn't that the guy who edited The Sixth Sense? Was he around here at some point? What film did he show here that you didn't like?

Yes, Mondshein was a lurker on the board back in 2000. Shortly after the nominations were announced, he revealed his identity. That year, he was nominated for "The Sixth Sense", which was also nominated for Best Film. His handle was 'Editman', and he answered a lot of questions about what it was like to be nominated, what it's like to work on a film and be in the movie business, etc. We all cheered him on; sadly, he didn't win, but it was still very cool and I'm sure it was thrilling for him. After the ceremony, he told us all about it. It was very interesting.

Once the Oscar season died down, he went back to work and only posted very sporadically. He returned once the next movie he helped work on was released... Lasse Hallstrom's Chocolat. You can guess what happened next. Let's just say, the film wasn't received well over here. Poor Andy read what we had to say, and I guess at some point he stopped visiting. I can understand why. Would you want to see the film you made get the Hostile Sabin treatment? I don't think anyone should have held back on their opinions. But I AM sorry he left. He was a really nice guy. God, what a history this place has.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1201233581
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Congratulations Geert on the thrilling news!

It's wonderful when good things happen to a UAADB-ite!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

congrats Sijmen!
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”