Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Peneloscars?
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Not my favorite lineup by any means, but Crash goes away immediately. So does Syriana. Not having seen any of these films since the race that year, aside from Match Point, I only really have fond memories of Good Night and Good Luck, but not that fond. Woody's script was good, but nowhere near his best and he's got a mantle full of Penelope Oscars.

I'm going with Noah Baumbach, but really it's just to take it away from Crash, which I guess maybe was a tougher call for them than I had remembered, seeing as how they were tricked more greatly than in this category.

Flipp- Best Actor 1951
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Oops.

Okay. Obviously, Dunaway's out (I don't have any passes left). I do enjoy her performance in Network, but it's not one of my all time favourites. Talia Shire's out for similar reasons. Ditto Barrault.

So it's between Spacek and Ullman (for a performance I haven't seen). I love Spacek's turns here, and I'd get a bit of a kick rewarding de Palma's film here. But turning down the only chance to reward the long Ullman-Bergman collaboration? Not gonna happen. If Ullman's even remotely as good here as she is in her other films, it would be an alternate oscar well deserved. So, Liv Ullman it is.

Bog, best original screenplay - 2005.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Waiting on Okri....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'm still in this game, if it is indeed still going on...
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Best Actor, 1934: I'm out of passes, so I give it to William Powell.

Okri...take Lead Actress, 1976.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Penelope wrote:By the way, we can now add 2007 to our list. I suspect there may be some that want to make some immediate changes (or use an immediate pass). :cool:
Oooh, me me me me me!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

You're up, dws1982.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, we can now add 2007 to our list. I suspect there may be some that want to make some immediate changes (or use an immediate pass). :cool:
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Ditto.

Now, if someone went for My Fair Lady over Dr. Strangelove.....
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I agree Sabin. And while I certainly think Kubrick deserves to be recognized in some way, I'd have voted for Last Picture Show and Bogdanovich that year over all the other nominees -- including Kubrick an his film.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just as in real life, Kubrick gets no respect. Complete and total shame (since Bogdonavich didn't do anything really spectacular in Last Picture Show).

I'm amazed at that statement. What Bogdanovich did in 'The Last Picture Show' was what Todd Haynes tried to with 'Far From Heaven' but without drawing any degree of attention to himself in a film school way; I like 'Far From Heaven', but 'The Last Picture Show' is the real deal. It's an effortless evocation of an era by channeling Ford's mise-en-scene and yet deconstructs it at the same time. It's both classical and counterculture. 'The Last Picture Show' is one of the great movies of the decade. 'A Clockwork Orange' is a very good movie but when you say Bogdanovich didn't really do anything spectacular in 'The Last Picture Show', I don't really know what to say.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Thanks. It'd been a while since I'd seen it, but I watched it yesterday on TCM's 31 Days of Oscar and really, really enjoyed it. It's a very funny movie.

Edited By MovieWes on 1203743937
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wow, unexpectedly wonderful choice MovieWes.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”