80th Ceremony

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sonic Youth wrote:Instead of Deborah Kerr?

Nuh-uh.

I´m not so sure that it will be end with Deborah Kerr. I added Scheider suspecting it was the most recent death of a familiar face.

Edited By Hustler on 1203868819
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:They should end with Deborah Kerr's last line from Tea and Sympahty:

"When you talk about this, and you will, be kind."

Good idea, Big. But even better if that's the penultimate line, and then they seque to Betty Hutton saying, "Hello, suckers!" from Incendiary Blonde.
I think they should open with Hutton as Texas Guinan greeting the crowd with her "hello, suckers" line.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Big Magilla wrote:They should end with Deborah Kerr's last line from Tea and Sympahty:

Oh great idea!

And yes for goodness sakes, they should end with Kerr (or someone with a more lasting imprint on film). Not Ledger.

Edited By Akash on 1203814061
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Good idea, Big. But even better if that's the penultimate line, and then they seque to Betty Hutton saying, "Hello, suckers!" from Incendiary Blonde.

(I suspect for Deborah they'll use The King and I.)

One thing I will say for Gilbert Cates -- he does the Memorial segment wel, It was Laura Ziskin who unforgivably omitted Dorothy McGuire and whoever it was I was pissed off about last year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They should end with Deborah Kerr's last line from Tea and Sympahty:

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Instead of Deborah Kerr?

Nuh-uh.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

They should be end the segment with Roy Scheider.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Remember SAG's "In Memorium"? The montage was apparently finished before Ledger's death, so he had to be placed at the end out of necessity. The camera then showed audience members deeply affected and in tears. I don't remember if it's SAGs usual practice to pan to the audience after "In Memorium". I'm fairly certain the Oscars DON'T do that. I'll be looking to see if they end the segment with Heath Ledger, and if they do, if we're then are given a look at the audience's reactions.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1203782290
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The In Memoriam sequence should climax with Betty Hutton (with Jane Wyman imediately preceeding her) but I'm sure Heath Ledger will be last. At the very least instead of the usual melancholy music they play for the segment, they should use Betty's "My Rocking Horse Ran Away" to accompany the clips.

Roy Scheider wil be towards the end, I believe, but he hadn't been A list for a while so won't be given the last spot.

Edited By Damien on 1203796783
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Oh God! I feel so stupid... I totally forgot them! Thanks Magilla, I knew there had to be someone else...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Heath Ledger probably, but Ingmar Bergman, Michelangelo Antonioni, Deborah Kerr and Jane Wyman are just a few who had a bigger impact than either he or Roy Sheider. Of course none of them achieved the box office of Jaws with any of their films, but the only fair way to do this would be in either alphabetical or chrnoological order by date of death.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I know this post might be considered distasteful but I'm not saying this is some sort of contend... I'm just curious about who's going to be presented in the end of the "In Memoriam" segment... as I said, it's not a competition but Academy usually place there the deceased artist that made the bigger impact on the industry... So probably it won't be Brad Renfro... Probably is between Scheider and Ledger. Ledger has been more commented, he was a one time nominee and though the press his death received I'm not sure if he's going to be highlighted. Scheider received two academy nominations, was a big presence in several iconic films including Jaws... so even when he wasn't popular or hip recently I can see him filling the spot. Am I forgetting someone? A director? I don't know... what you guys think...?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Mister Tee wrote:Anything but that same old staged picture, which was cool the first time but is apparently Gil Cates' only idea.

Seriously. And Lord knows I can't wait to see people like Cuba Gooding Jr, Robin Williams, Halle Berry, Kim Bassinger, Russell Crowe, Jamie Foxx, Helen Hunt, Jennifer Hudson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renne Zellweger and Charlize Theron as a reminder of just how hard the last decade or so of winners have sucked.

Edited By Akash on 1203442166
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:Yes, I know. I was reiterating the information for Mister Tee, and giving a source (which Magilla couldn't remember)
And I thank you, FilmFan.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yes, I know. I was reiterating the information for Mister Tee, and giving a source (which Magilla couldn't remember)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”