Oscar Morning Primer

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

All right. The list and descriptions have been updated. I'm almost done with my final nomination predictions, which I may release tomorrow morning or tonight depending on how quickly I get finished.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I guess this year will be the best example as to why they do that - when they announce No Country For Old Men and it has two directors. (I had forgotten the West Side Story example from the past)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I had forgotten both Garner and MacDonald and will be adding them probably late today or tomorrow.

If I left off hoffman, it was accidental.

And yes, Director's announced alphabetically by picture. Now, that's what they've done the last 16 times I've watched it, so who knows if they'll change it or not.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

A subconscious omission?

Order: (Aflleck), Bardem (Crowe), Dano, Holbrook, Jones (Rickman), (von Sydow), Wilinson.

You forgot Hoffman.

Best Director is announced alphabetically by film not by director name? I have never noticed this.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

MovieWes wrote:I've got to ask -- why Olivia Thirlby? I haven't heard anyone tossing her name around until now. Why not Jennifer Garner? She seems a safer bet as a surprise nominee for Juno.
I've actually been pushing Olivia Thirlby for well over two months now. I think she's the unsung hero of Juno. It's a performance Joan Cusack might've pulled off back in the day.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

MovieWes wrote:I've got to ask -- why Olivia Thirlby? I haven't heard anyone tossing her name around until now. Why not Jennifer Garner? She seems a safer bet as a surprise nominee for Juno.
Or Kelly MacDonald?
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Very cool OG, thanks! Especially since - without a primer - it's easy to miss which film or potential nominee was snubbed as they are being announced. This helps us to identify the snubs and surprises right away.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I've got to ask -- why Olivia Thirlby? I haven't heard anyone tossing her name around until now. Why not Jennifer Garner? She seems a safer bet as a surprise nominee for Juno.

Otherwise, a really nice and thorough write-up.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Nice primer! Especially with the complete list of all the "surprise" nominees. Thanks also for putting Tang Wei back into the Best Actress race (although I think it's very unlikely she'll be remembered).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Me too. Especially when they didn't give us Foreign Film Finalists, it sucked to go from a full list or from a partial list and have to scurry and write in the nominations. Though, they go a lot slower than BAFTA did and the horrendous Golden Globe plough-through.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Cool, Wes. That's very helppful -- I only wish they didn't go so fast when they make the announcements.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I've created my first Oscar Morning Primer in several years. Check it out.

Oscar Morning
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”