Ratatouille
8%
Away From Her
No votes

Total votes: 40

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That's a truly cruel story. Did you cut yourself?

i used to cut myself in college. i have these huge disfiguring scars all over my arms and legs. some mean gays told me i was ugly and no one would ever fuck me. so i cut myself. the funny thing is they were right. guys take one look at my ugly face and certainly do not want to have anything to do with me, even before they see the scars.

whoa, probably more than you wanted to know, but you just caught me by surprise by saying that.

This is the most hilariously impromptu post of the year that's actually completely horrifying. Both if you're joking and if you're not. I've read it five times and I'm mostly positive you're joking but I really could be wrong.

Edited By Sabin on 1200388345
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ok, having seen There Will Be Blood tonight, I can now say that there are five overrated films on this list: Zodiac, Once, Juno, Into the Wild and Ratatouille.

Once is too easy a target; it'll be forgotten in six months and in a few years will be no more than a curio.

Juno is undeserving of the likely Oscar nominations it will receive, but it does have some incidental pleasures and is basically harmless.

Into the Wild at least has some gorgeous scenery and some excellent performances (Catherine Keener, Hal Holbrook, even Vince Vaughn) to recommend it.

Ratatouille is pretty much excerable, but I suppose it's passable as a cartoon for kids.

So I vote for Zodiac, a movie that is no more than competent but is praised in some circles--even, astonishingly, by some members of this board--as some kind of second coming. Please. Not.

Edited By Penelope on 1200368627
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

criddic3 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
Steph2 wrote:True story: after despising Fucking Nemo and The Unincredibles, this guy I knew from one of my English classes bet me forty bucks (it was all he had on him at the time) that I would love Ratatouille (which he just bought on DVD). This guy is an otherwise intelligent English major, and it seemed to mean so much to him, so I reluctantly consented (I think he also thought this was a way to score a date with me, but unfortunately, the quickest way to turn me off is to make me watch a Pixar movie, and anyway he was blond haired and blue eyed. Not my type at all. I like my boys with a little melanin). Anyway, after sitting through that atrocious film, where I was so bored I started to think of all the errands I had to do the next day, he turned to me expectantly, so certain that I would share in the divine experience he had while watching this film. Instead, I calmly got up, walked right over the DVD player and removed the DVD. Then I turned to him, holding the little disc carelessly in my fingers and said, "I hated it. Hated it as much as a person can possibly hate a film. So you owe me forty bucks. But instead of giving it to me, just go ahead and use it to buy another copy of Ratatouille. Because after making me watch this horrible film, there is no way you are going to stop me from crushing this DVD in my hand."

true story: reading that made me want to cry. :(

i used to cut myself in college. i have these huge disfiguring scars all over my arms and legs. some mean gays told me i was ugly and no one would ever fuck me. so i cut myself. the funny thing is they were right. guys take one look at my ugly face and certainly do not want to have anything to do with me, even before they see the scars.

whoa, probably more than you wanted to know, but you just caught me by surprise by saying that.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Steph2 wrote:True story: after despising Fucking Nemo and The Unincredibles, this guy I knew from one of my English classes bet me forty bucks (it was all he had on him at the time) that I would love Ratatouille (which he just bought on DVD). This guy is an otherwise intelligent English major, and it seemed to mean so much to him, so I reluctantly consented (I think he also thought this was a way to score a date with me, but unfortunately, the quickest way to turn me off is to make me watch a Pixar movie, and anyway he was blond haired and blue eyed. Not my type at all. I like my boys with a little melanin). Anyway, after sitting through that atrocious film, where I was so bored I started to think of all the errands I had to do the next day, he turned to me expectantly, so certain that I would share in the divine experience he had while watching this film. Instead, I calmly got up, walked right over the DVD player and removed the DVD. Then I turned to him, holding the little disc carelessly in my fingers and said, "I hated it. Hated it as much as a person can possibly hate a film. So you owe me forty bucks. But instead of giving it to me, just go ahead and use it to buy another copy of Ratatouille. Because after making me watch this horrible film, there is no way you are going to stop me from crushing this DVD in my hand."

"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1200203517
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I voted Atonement, but there are tons more overrated movies not on the list I would have voted for otherwise.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:Damien, thank goodness you and your beloved have been together for a long time or else that might be reason to leave him. LOL.

Even worse, he bought the DVD of Ratatouille, so now the damn thing is in our home. :D

Edited By Damien on 1200178057
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh I forgot to vote in this myself. Hmm, haven't seen Once and I like all the others except Atonement. So yeah, Atonement it is, even though I don't think it was so universally praised or beloved that I would actually call it "overrated."

Steph, I don't know what to tell you. I like white people.

Edited By Akash on 1200158251
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

LOL! Aren't you cheeky?

I've been called worse.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know that you're exactly Akash's cup of tea, Steph2, but he loves animated movies, so...

I loved Ratatouille, it's in my top 10, though certainly not near the top, but it's still a wonderful effort.

I liked Into the Wild probably less than No Country, but a film that has gotten so many year-end awards but fails to be more than good should deserve this kind of award, so that's where my vote went. Now I wait for all the surprised silences to follow (not really).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Sabin wrote:How was the subsequent hate-fucking? Was it awesome? It usually is.

LOL! Aren't you cheeky? No Sabin, this kid was paler than Casper and the idea of seeing a naked pale guy is so unappealing to me. I'm rarely ever physically attracted to white guys and if I am, they're usually dark haired, Italian etc. He actually tried to call me the next day but I told him I was busy.

Damien, thank goodness you and your beloved have been together for a long time or else that might be reason to leave him. LOL.

But I have to admit, if a cute, intelligent Latino or South Asian guy (my strongest crushes) shows interest in me and likes Pixar films, I might just have to overlook that negative quality :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

God, Steph, I love you even more than before. How wonderful to see such sagaciousness amidst the jaw-dropping nonsense applied to this cartoon by some otherwise highly intelligent people. (The phrase "arrested development" comes to mind.)

Love your story about the dork who bet you, and I laughed out loud over "I was so bored I started to think of all the errands I had to do the next day" because I did the same exact thing. (My Beloved had raved about how wonderful Rat Shit was and how I would love it, too because it's such a romantic portrayal of our Paris.)

But actually I haven't voted in this poll yet because there are still a lot of contenders I haven't seen. Which means there's another person perceptive enough to hate Ratatouille. God bless him or her. :)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

"I hated it. Hated it as much as a person can possibly hate a film. So you owe me forty bucks. But instead of giving it to me, just go ahead and use it to buy another copy of Ratatouille. Because after making me watch this horrible film, there is no way you are going to stop me from crushing this DVD in my hand."

How was the subsequent hate-fucking? Was it awesome? It usually is.

The only films I haven't seen here are 'Diving Bell' (which I can't see for a few months until I get back to the States - gah!) and 'Atonement' which I probably will check out in a few days. Several friends of mine have told me that it's not great but it makes Oscar bait look very, very good and there's no way I won't at least appreciate it. Don't anticipate disliking either one of these but we'll see...

I'm going to choose 'Once'. Is it a charming little film? It is, until it becomes so precious that I have to avert my eyes. I likened the film to me be drunk on wine after listening to 'Blood on the Tracks' on vinyl and coming up with a "great idea for a movie", writing it down on a napkin, falling asleep, waking up, looking at it, and thinking..."Jesus, how fucking emo are you", throwing it away, putting 'Blood on the Tracks' back on, repeat as necessary.

'Once' does a lot of things right, most especially in Glen Hansard's beautiful performance but the songs are middling, most of them obnoxious, and the film takes itself so seriously that I had to actively resist what I was saying. That's tough when watching your closet fantasy. The "Falling Slowly" scene is pretty great. It's immediately deflated by the ten minute home movie segment that follows it.

I think 'Juno' is more overrate but there was a period of months when people would ask me what I thought of 'Once', how they bet I loved it. My D.P. buddy said that he has no idea where any of the money went (this thing cost over a hundred thousand dollars! 'Primer' cost less than a tenth and looks a million times better).

Edited By Sabin on 1200130730
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

First Italiano, now Steph...you're obsessed with molesting aren't you anonymous?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Steph2 wrote:"I hated it. Hated it as much as a person can possibly hate a film. So you owe me forty bucks. But instead of giving it to me, just go ahead and use it to buy another copy of Ratatouille. Because after making me watch this horrible film, there is no way you are going to stop me from crushing this DVD in my hand."

Were you molested by a rat when you were a baby or something? :p

Edited By anonymous on 1200122555

Return to “2000 - 2007”