Golden Globe Nominations

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Other than curiosity, I think the Globes are at a point of irrelevance. In years past, the Globes always presented BEFORE Oscar nomination ballots are due. This year, the ballots are due in Saturday, the day BEFORE the Golden Globes announce. Thus, no matter who the winners are, they won't affect the nominations. They may ultimately affect the winners, but definitely not the nominations.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From E! - since they will be streamlining it I may get to actually watch teh Golden Globes live for a change:

It turns out the 65th Annual Golden Globes is going to be treated just like any other newsworthy event of the gross-anomaly variety.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced Friday that it has assumed complete control over its Golden Globes "announcement" from NBC, and that all electronic media will be free to cover Sunday's news conference announcing the winners.

"Under the new arrangement, there will be no restrictions placed on media outlets covering the press conference," the HFPA said in statement.

Because of the more open proceedings, the Writers Guild of America has promised to keep the opposition at bay.

"In light of this change to the program, the WGA gave the HFPA our assurances that there would be no picket of their press conference on Sunday," the guild, which counts NBC as a struck company, said in a statement Friday.

And because the writers are backing off, sources tell E! News that some celebrities may be among the presenters and possibly even a few of the A-list nominees may be on hand, although there won't be a traditional red carpet. Actors had previously agreed to honor the writers' picket line.

The stripped-down Globes is scheduled to air live from the Beverly Hilton Hotel, the longtime home of what is normally a glamorous, star-studded gala, at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

NBC, which had gone from exclusive home of the Golden Globes ceremony to exclusive home of the Golden Globes press conference, taking a multimillion-dollar hit in terms of ad revenue in the process, has not yet stated whether it will cover the all-access event.

The network had been planning to treat the Globes as an exclusive network program with an all-NBC cast of characters. By moving it to the news division, which is currently in sync with its writing staff, it was hoping to avoid further conflict with the WGA.

The network has also not commented on whether the change of plans will result in any other programming shakeups. As of now, Going for Gold, a two-hour Dateline NBC special featuring film clips and Matt Lauer interviewing some of the nominees, will precede the conference, and Access Hollywood anchors Billy Bush and Nancy O'Dell are rumored to be doling out the honors.

Thanks to the media free-for-all, viewers have alternatives to suit their Globes-watching needs.

And for those far away from their TV sets Sunday night, E! Online will be streaming the news conference live.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't know about you guys but I'm actually disappointed the Globes are not pushing through as a ceremony. For one thing, the Golden Globes always gets the BEST acceptance speeches.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How stupid.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damn! I hoped we'd be spared this.

Globes push Spielberg honor to '09
Director to receive DeMille award next year
By VARIETY STAFF
Posted: Tue., Jan. 8, 2008, 12:59pm PT More News

Steven Spielberg will be presented with the Cecil B. DeMille award at the 2009 Golden Globes ceremony.
He was to be given the award this year, but the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. decided Tuesday that it would be better to give the trophy at the 66th annual ceremonies, rather than at the press-conference format to be held Sunday.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:Will the winners still be on hand to receive their awards and make their speeches?
Probably not?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Will the winners still be on hand to receive their awards and make their speeches?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:Oh and this means I don't have to sit through that lifetime achievement award they were going to give Speilberg. Awesome.
Thank you for reminding me; I knew there had to be a silver lining in all of this. The writers deserve everything they're asking for just for that alone!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm really impressed with the Writers Guild. As much as I'll miss the dog and pony show, it's so good to see collective action actually having you know, ACTION in the U.S. Yayy for the strike! I hope the writers get everything they're asking for (and deserve).

Oh and this means I don't have to sit through that lifetime achievement award they were going to give Speilberg. Awesome.

Edited By Akash on 1199763390
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I kind of feel sorry for first-time nominees like Amy Ryan, Saiorse Ronan, Nikki Blonsky, etc. since they won't be able to experience this.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I got this from OscarWatch or whatever it's now called.

RECIPIENTS OF “THE 65th ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS”
TO BE ANNOUNCED AT BEVERLY HILTON PRESS CONFERENCE ON JAN. 13

HOLLYWOOD, CA, January 7, 2008 – The Hollywood Foreign Press Association today announced that the recipients of Golden Globe Awards in 25 categories will be revealed during an hour-long HFPA press conference at The Beverly Hilton to be covered live by NBC News beginning at 6:00 pm PST on January 13. “The 65th Annual Golden Globe Awards” NBC telecast and champagne dinner in The Beverly Hilton’s International Ballroom is officially cancelled.

“We are all very disappointed that our traditional awards ceremony will not take place this year and that millions of viewers worldwide will be deprived of seeing many of their favorite stars celebrating 2007’s outstanding achievements in motion pictures and television,” said Jorge Camara, President of The Hollywood Foreign Press Association. “We take some comfort, however, in knowing that this year’s Golden Globe Award recipients will be announced on the date originally scheduled.”
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From The Envelope:

NBC sent this e-mail to the movie studios Monday, outlining its plans for Sunday's Golden Globes:

"At 9 pm [EST] there will be a press conference covered by NBC News announcing the Golden Globe winners. (9pm-10pm)

At 8 pm, we are negotiating with Dick Clark Enterprises for a one-hour retrospective/clip show.

At 7 pm we will air a Dateline with clips and interviews with nominees. (Currently scheduled to air for two hours on Saturday night.)

At 10 pm we will broadcast an "Access Hollywood" style, Golden Globes party show...visiting the various parties in Hollywood."

FOR THE RECORD: An earlier version of this article included material that was not ready for publication.

Check back here for more updates throughout the day.

For all the latest strike news see the Los Angeles Times' Show Tracker blog
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A fine article from Variety:

GOLDEN GLOBES OFFER SERIOUS SIZZLE
Musical/comedy categories big draw for auds
By BOB VERINI

Film critics and professional Oscar watchers cast a more critical -- some might say jaundiced -- eye on the Golden Globes than does the industry or moviegoing public.
For years, critics -- both film and industry -- have accused the org of many ethical breaches, and the HFPA has continually fought against those charges.

But in fact, this year the Golden Globes may have more sizzle than almost any other award show thanks to their musical/comedy categories. The Golden Globes noms have tapped a few B.O. hits in the musical or comedy picture and actress categories ("Enchanted's" Amy Adams, "Hairspray" and the three animated film nominees) that may grab more viewers' eyeballs -- that is, if the thesps nommed deem to cross any WGA picket line that may be erected at the Globes' ceremony.

The drama categories line up with the critical conventional wisdom this year, tapping such crix faves and tough pics as "There Will Be Blood," "No Country for Old Men," "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" and "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." And don't forget Dewey Cox.

Critics of the awards show acknowledge that the ceremony adds a bit of irreverant life to kudos season. As the Philadelphia Inquirer's Carrie Rickey -- an on-the-record Globes skeptic -- notes, "Breaking bread with people and uncorking whatever, makes them relax." She quotes fellow critic Jack Mathews on the Golden Globes as "the Oscars as they should've been: drunken and a good party."

"For a time they couldn't even get onto network TV," remembers Damien Bona, co-author of "Inside Oscar," referring to a 1968 FCC report that "admonished" Globes broadcaster NBC as misleading viewers on how Globes winners were selected; the net dropped the ceremony afterward. "But then they made a big deal about how they were cleaning house and no longer accepting gifts, with press releases saying, 'It's a new Golden Globes.'"

A big step towards enhancing the Globes' profile came with its 1973 decision to announce both GG nominees and winners before the Oscar noms.

So they're now better known and more respected. But how much Oscar influence do the Globes really bear? Globes do seem to assist voters with their Oscar ballot. "The ascendancy of the GGs has coincided with the distribution of Academy screeners," Rickey notes. HFPA attention helps voters sort out which of their many DVDs they should spend their limited time on.

Moreover, asserts Michael Gebert, author of the exhaustive and opinionated "Encyclopedia of Movie Awards," the number of nominees means a GG nod can draw attention to the lesser contenders in the Oscar race. "It's sort of like the Iowa (presidential) caucus. 'If I can make a really good showing in Iowa, then New Hampshire will finally pay attention to me.' But the one with the comfortable lead doesn't make the effort."

A high correlation between the Golden Globes' 10-plus nominees for picture and the Oscars' five is often casually assumed. But in half of the last 10 years, one or more picture Oscar nominees failed to appear in either of the GG categories. Last year, Golden Globes drama winner "Babel" took home only one Oscar (for original score), although it was nommed in seven categories.

"It's two different groups with, if not different agendas, then different outlooks," says Bona. "For instance, this year's Globe nominee 'Eastern Promises' has no chance for the Oscar. But a film about foreigners in different countries? The foreign press can relate to that better than the average Hollywood person."

There's more consistency in the acting categories. Over the last five years only one actor or actress Oscar winner -- "The Pianist's" Adrian Brody -- failed to take home a Golden Globe.

Critics have charged that the HFPA "tends to reward the actors they like," says Gebert, who charges that the Globes are influenced by glamour.

Maybe so, but looking at the Globe nominees and talent campaigning for the Globes and Oscars, how could any org avoid tapping glamorous stars?

The Globes' higher profile may be prompting the HFPA to watch, as Gebert puts it, "serious actors whom they respect for not just taking paycheck jobs." That label would cover nonglamour talent like GG winners Philip Seymour Hoffman and Forest Whitaker.

"Ten years ago," says Rickey, "I wrote there were three reasons why the GGs went from laughingstock to legit. Because Hollywood is an awards-sick town; because they serve the industry; and because they're a hoot. And I can say that again today."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

And Sijmen too.

Edited By Hustler on 1198469811
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

cam wrote:Is there another site that gives just the precursors?
Metacritic has a page for precursors. You have to go through the Best Films 2007 link under the film column. It's nothing special, but it has all the awards for the year 2000 onwards.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “The 8th Decade”