Makeup Finalists

1998 through 2007
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

What about Oscar winner Pearl Harbor. The only reason it can call itself that was because the academy was afraid of Fellowship of the Ring tying the record for most nominations for a film.

Thank you, Akash.

I have absolutely no tolerance for the notion that the Academy "waits" to do something. The reason 'The Fellowship of the Ring' was not nominated for Sound Editing is that the sound people thought that the manufactured sounds for 'Pearl Harbor' and 'Monsters, Inc.' (both of which probably had amazing manufactured sounds; it's Michael Bay & PIXAR) were superior. The reason that 'The Return of the King' won wasn't because they *waited* but because they A) had time to appreciate the saga as the world had, and B) they liked it more than the other movies.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Hollywood Z wrote:What about Oscar winner Pearl Harbor. The only reason it can call itself that was because the academy was afraid of Fellowship of the Ring tying the record for most nominations for a film.

How can that be when only the sound people could nominate it for Sound Editing, and (aside from Best Picture) none of these Sound people could vote in the other categories -- which means they had no idea what the other categories would yield, and therefore they couldn't possibly know for sure that Rings would score 13 nominations and need just theirs to make it magic 14.

We really need to stop treating voting groups as if they're single minded. And worse, as if they indulge these silly conspiracies ("We can't let Fellowship get 14 nominations"/"We must wait until the last Rings film to reward the whole trilogy.") One sound geek tossing a nomination to Pearl Harbor, has no idea that other sound geeks are showing similar poor taste.

Edited By Akash on 1199799463
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

What about Oscar winner Pearl Harbor. The only reason it can call itself that was because the academy was afraid of Fellowship of the Ring tying the record for most nominations for a film.

And as far as Norbit goes, for as bad as Click, Life, The Time Machine and The Grinch were, their awfulness pales in comparison to Norbit, which, if we all remember last year, was one of the factors that cost Eddie Murphy his academy award. Besides, this is also the branch that championed other favorites like Ed Wood, Mrs. Brown, The Sea Inside, Elizabeth, Topsy Turvy, Frida and Pan's Labyrinth. And though Rick Baker's a favorite, remember, even his clout couldn't sneak in Planet of the Apes.

I still believe 300 has a very strong chance. I've said it since I saw the film, especially with work like on the Uber-Immortal, the deformed hunchback, the numerous period hair styles & wigs, Xerxes himself, the battle wounded soldiers, the list could go on. 300, though it's not a very critically sound film, is a very technically brilliant piece of work. And because of it's cultural popularity, I think it has a great chance of getting a few technical nods (Sound Effects, Make-Up and Visual Effects) so that the film's impact could be remembered.

And if you really want to argue where the CGI work ends and the make-up begins, take a second look at At World's End and see how the truly impressive appearance enhancements were done digitally (Bill Turner, Davy Jones' crew, etc). If the Pirate's Cove is remembered well enough, then, yes, it will sneak in. But don't forget, Dead Man's Chest was a finalist last year and it lost out to Apocalypto and Click, which could be due to the fact that the new character work was seen as more of a visual effects achievement rather than a make-up one.

However, with the list of finalists here, it's looking like the make-up branch is going to throw us a curve ball come nomination time. Ma Vie en Rose could be the dark horse candidate, since this branch loves to focus on make-up work that's done in stages (the Edgar Bug in Men in Black, Arnold's face work in Terminator 2) and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly gave some impressive hospital work as well. I don't think Harry Potter will sneak in here (Art Direction seems to be a more likely catagory for this film) and I'm still holding out on the hope that Norbit will get passed up (do we really need another fat suit nominated?), but for now, I'm predicting:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Sweeney Todd

Edited By Hollywood Z on 1199797614
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Which would be especially ironic with all the anti-Oscar talk around the film last year, when people said it was hurting Eddie Murphy's chances at winning the Oscar.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Rick Baker did 'Norbit'. Every year there needs to be a film that people bust a gut over saying "Oscar nominee Click" or something. This year...I believe in "Oscar nominee 'Norbit".

'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'
'Norbit'
'Sweeney Todd'
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

And she had to lie down really close to a bird and talk to it, remember that ludicrous scene? The bird was probably CGI. A real live bird would have perched itself on her big nose.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There were some minor touch-ups done to Kidman's nose in the film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't think 300 is going to win. Pirates has far more and far more obvious makeup effects than 300. I also think a lot of voters may have a problem selecting it because of the fear that there was a good deal of CGI work done, which disqualified films like The Hours. This is an award for prosthetics more than it is for hairstyling or simple work. I'd say Pirates, despite already having an award, will appeal to more voters.
What CGI work was done in The Hours?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Does anybody know if Grindhouse is being considered an entry in itself for the Oscars, or are Planet Terror and Death Proof two separate films. I would have loved a Planet Terror nod here, for some of the funniest makeup of the year (that captures the essence of the film perfectly).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

anonymous wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:This is the group that nominated Life...

And Click.
I know...and I actually sat through both of those...which is exactly why I would prefer nominations for worthier films...or at least bad films I've already seen.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:This is the group that nominated Life...
And Click.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I agree Oscar Guy, for the very reasons you mentioned.

Diving Bell or Rose will probably get the "film that doesn't suck/indie" vote and the other two spots will go to Pirates and Sweeney Todd. Since Diving Bell has more buzz right now (the other film's buzz going almost exclusively to Cotillard) I'm prediciting

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Sweeney Todd
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is the group that nominated Life...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Ain't that about as peculiar a list of films as you could find?!

Good for La Vie en Rose. I really hope it makes it all the way.

I really do not want to have to see Norbit, so PLEASE let that not be nominated.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think 300 is going to win. Pirates has far more and far more obvious makeup effects than 300. I also think a lot of voters may have a problem selecting it because of the fear that there was a good deal of CGI work done, which disqualified films like The Hours. This is an award for prosthetics more than it is for hairstyling or simple work. I'd say Pirates, despite already having an award, will appeal to more voters.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”