[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

FilmFan, you'll find a lot of support for that choice. Patton has a marvelously memorable score. It has been mimicked for years. It has that lovely trumpet dudada diminishing periodically...(I sure hope I'm remembering the right film, because it was one of the few things I remember liking about the flick).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:Ok....I must humbly admit that I’ve only seen 2 of the nominated films in this category—Rosemary’s Baby and Funny Girl—and, for the life of me, I can’t even remember what Kay Medford did in the latter. So, I’ll use my pass and retain Ruth Gordon as the winner; Rosemary’s Baby isn’t one of my favorites, but Gordon is certainly memorable in the film.
Oh crap, I wrote the wrong year down. I accidently put the calendar year instead of the year I wanted you to do: 1967. You can keep your pass and do that year instead, since it was my mistake.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yuck, what a dreary category. I have not seen (or heard of) Cromwell or Sunflower, and I refuse to waste a pass on Love Story. I will switch it to Patton, which if I remember, has a nice score to it.

Akash: Best Director 1980.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Back to lobbing softballs for me...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Great Sabin! You'll came after OscarGuy and select a category/year for dws in the current round.

Ok....I must humbly admit that I’ve only seen 2 of the nominated films in this category—Rosemary’s Baby and Funny Girl—and, for the life of me, I can’t even remember what Kay Medford did in the latter. So, I’ll use my pass and retain Ruth Gordon as the winner; Rosemary’s Baby isn’t one of my favorites, but Gordon is certainly memorable in the film.

FilmFan: a category we haven't done yet—Best Original Score 1970.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okay, I'm down. This is pleasantly time wasting.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's a fun little game, Bog, there's no real intention of getting someone's favorites knocked out...more likely to get your personal hates eliminated is more appropriate.
Wesley Lovell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Bog wrote:anyway...Eric, Best Director 1975
Man, talk about nailing it. This is probably one of the two or three most difficult categories for me to pick a winner for the supremacy of multiple candidates.

Obviously, knock the humdrum direction of Forman off the fishing boat, where he can be joined by Lumet. I admit I haven't seen the Fellini, but that still leaves Kubrick and Altman duking it out. Both are among the best nominations in this or any other Oscar category, but I think I have to give Altman the edge. Kubrick's movie wouldn't have worked without John Alcott's contribution (to say nothing of Schubert's, Vivaldi's, et al). Altman organized a miracle from the ground up.

Penelope: Best Supporting Actress, 1968.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Ha, I've been randomly picking categories. I didn't even think about playing this game with any strategy.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Have no fear Pen, I also will pick Lana Turner out of this lineup, a very fine performance in a film that is mostly sleazy camp stuff

several good performances actually, the women relegated to supporting probably unfairly. Woodward is a fine winner, not sure that it is that fantastic, no pass needed. Liz is doing what she always did basically, and I believe Kerr should have won a competitive Oscar and a shame that she did not at some point...

Wes and Penelope, is the object here to find categories we would like to see changed and see if the friend we pass it on to appeases us or is it to punish them and see what else they would choose in a situation like you said about Lawrence of Arabia, or maybe a little of both I suppose, just wondering what the initial motives were, though I think this game is quite fun

anyway...Eric, Best Director 1975
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

if only MovieWes were playing, I'd make him waste his passes easily (just force him to keep Lawrence of Arabia in most of what it won, Picture, Director and Cinematography...there's three gone right away. ;) )
Wesley Lovell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

What the hey, let's stick with it.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, you tempt me with the chance to Oscar Lana Turner...but, I must remain true to my word and reshuffle the order:

Dws
Rudeboy
Bog
Eric
Penelope
FilmFan720
Akash
Zahveed
Okri
OscarGuy

Since dws and rudeboy just went, Bog is next--rudeboy, do you want to leave him with Best Actress 1957, or change it to something else?

Edited By Penelope on 1196699772
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Much as I like Ustinov I have to switch to Sal Mineo for the otherwise dull Exodus.
Penelope: Best Actress, 1957
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If Akash still wants me to do Director, 1989, then it's an easy choice: I'll give it to Woody Allen for Crimes and Misdemeanors, and no one else even comes close.

rudeboy: Best Supporting Actor, 1960

Edited By dws1982 on 1196696390

Return to “Other Film Discussions”