The Vintner's Luck

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Penelope wrote:Or find a used copy via Amazon or E-Bay....
Ahaha oops, I never saw these responses! Don't worry, I wouldn't steal from the library (how much more degraded could you get??), but I would really love to have it on my bookshelf so I could read it at my leisure, is what I meant. Very excited about this!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

From a New Zealand paper:

Filming has started on director Niki Caro's new movie project, the film adaptation of The Vintner's Luck.

The film, based on the novel with the same name by New Zealand author Elizabeth Knox, will star Oscar-nominee Keisha Castle-Hughes, who came to worldwide attention in Caro's Whale Rider.

The Vintner's Luck tells the tale of Sobran, a peasant winemaker in 19th Century France and his life-long relationship with an angel.

"It's really exciting to get the project under way," Caro said.

"It's a scary kind of honour to bring Elizabeth's book to the screen," she said.

Caro was also looking forward to working again with Castle-Hughes.

"Keisha and I have such a close relationship and strong history; it's great to work with her again in her first 'grown up' role."

Filming began at an Auckland vineyard today, before cast and crew relocate in March to the Burgundy region of France then Belgium.

Belgian actor Jeremie Renier was cast to play the lead role of wine-maker Sobran Jodeau, with Castle-Hughes playing his wife Celeste.

Castle-Hughes said she was initially nervous playing her first adult role.

"But now I'm really looking forward to it. It is going to be a challenge, but I love challenges," the 18-year-old said.

French actor Gaspard Ulliel will play the role of angel Xas.

The other main role, Baroness Aurora, will be played by American actress Vera Farmiga.

Knox said she was excited about the project.

"I am so pleased production is under way and am over the moon about the cast and crew. I can't wait to see the finished product, it will be like giving my book a new life," she said.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Or find a used copy via Amazon or E-Bay....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Steal it?

Why don't you just borrow it?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

I've been tearing up used bookstores trying to find a copy of the book, but it looks like the only option would be to steal it from the library for myself, but I couldn't do that! Hopefully the movie will inspire a re-release of the book itself here.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Caro's 'Vintner's Luck' movie makes first pre-sales

12:30PM Friday October 26, 2007

Niki Caro's The Vintner's Luck has made its first pre-sales.

Pre-production of the movie begins at the end of the year, with the main filming starting in Auckland in February, before moving in March to Burgundy in France, then to Belgium.

The Vintner's Luck is an adaptation of the acclaimed New Zealand novel of the same name by Elizabeth Knox.

It tells the tale of Sobran, a peasant wine-maker in 19th century France and his life-long relationship with an angel as they grapple with the sensual, the sacred and the profane in search of the perfect vintage.

Caro, of Whale Rider fame, wrote the screenplay with Joan Scheckel.

The movie has sold to Icon for the UK and to Dendy for Australia and New Zealand. Ascot Elite has acquired Swiss rights to the film.

Dendy general manager Andrew Mackie described the script as "one of the best we have read".

Icon UK said it was "very excited" to be part of the movie.

The Vintner's Luck stars Jeremie Renier (The Child), Gaspard Ulliel (Young Hannibal), Vera Farmiga (The Departed), and Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider).

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Hurray! The book was magnificent, I hope the movie does it justice.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A press release was just issued at Cannes, it looks like they got their financing again, and production will start in Feb 2008; now, if only Jérémie Renier would come to Chicago and be my lover....

'Luck' is right vintage for Caro to helm
By Gregg Kilday
May 22, 2007

CANNES -- Niki Caro is set to direct a screen adaptation of "The Vintner's Luck," an adaptation of Elizabeth Knox's novel of the same name, which Caro has co-scripted with Joan Scheckel.

The film revolves around a peasant winemaker in 19th century France as he grapples with the sensual, sacred and profane while searching for the perfect vintage. The cast includes Jeremie Renier, Gaspard Ulliel, Vera Farmiga, Maria Ruiz and Keisha Castle-Hughes, who starred in Caro's "Whale Rider."

Principal photography is scheduled for February in Auckland, New Zealand before moving in March to the Burgundy region of France and then Belgium. The New Zealand-French co-production is being financed by the New Zealand Film Production Fund, the New Zealand Film Commission, the Motion Investment Group of Belgium (Adrian Politkowski), Tokyo-based OLC Rights Entertainment (Masaharu Inaba) and Kortex Cinema of France.

"The Vintner's Luck" is an Ascension Films-Kortex co-production. Producers are Laurie Parker, Robin Laing, Caro, Pascal Judelewicz, Ludi Boeken and Jean-Francois Klein. International sales are being handled by Kathleen Drumm of NZ Film, the sales arm of the NZ Film Commission.

Return to “2008”