Travel - I hope this gets looked at...

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:Much to my surprise and dismay, the store, which was ruthlessly operating under the same name, had hauled out all the wonderful curiosities that had given it charm and filled it with overpriced boho furniture and "chic" divans.
Ah, Rudy's makeover still lives.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

On a sidenote from my NYC trip this past weekend: the lovely curio shop called Soho Treasures at the corner of Mercer and Prince has given itself an unnecessary makeover as well as a total personality bypass. One year ago, the shop was filled with vintage furniture and dusty, yet unique antiques in addition to a huge pox of old pins from the 70’s and 80’s (many of which I bought and then adorned the jean jacket I’d just purchased at Abercrombie and Fitch -- yes, folks, I’m singlehandedly bringing back flair. My favorite one reads, “Fuck You. Fuck Me. Fuck Everyone.") Much to my surprise and dismay, the store, which was ruthlessly operating under the same name, had hauled out all the wonderful curiosities that had given it charm and filled it with overpriced boho furniture and "chic" divans. Oh, and the box of pins was gone and when questioned, the shopgirl acted like I had asked whether or not they might still carry a sofa upholstered in cow dung. Assholes.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195505570
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

flipp525 wrote:I’ll be in NYC this weekend and will have some downtime in between 2-5pm on Friday. Anything opening early up that way? Thought I might hit a movie before the crazy weekend starts. Anyone want to join me, send me a PM.
Bad timing. I'm in Paris.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

If you were in NY this past weekend you could have come to the most fun West Village party ever. I'm SO glad I left New Haven for the weekend, I was sorely in need of NY stimulation. The people were beautiful, the music was good, and the drinks were free.

Well...mine were free anyway.

Edited By Akash on 1195087165
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I’ll be in NYC this weekend and will have some downtime in between 2-5pm on Friday. Anything opening early up that way? Thought I might hit a movie before the crazy weekend starts. Anyone want to join me, send me a PM.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I doubt you'll have much problem in Europe finding someone who speaks English. If there's one thing the Europeans do really well, it's require their kids to learn other languages, usually it's French, Spanish, Italian, German and English, but I'm sure different schools permit substitution variant, but last I heard most French schools at least were requiring English as a learned language.

And besides, I wouldn't doubt if there were Avis and other rental companies all over Europe...now, that's for Le Tour de Belgique...Russia and its former republics is quite a different story.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1194322398
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

I see the last post in this section was on 10/7, so I hope people check out this part of the site - I don't know where else to put this.

OK, so for the first time I am planning a trip abroad. A friend and I are going to Europe and we are deciding between two itineraries:

A: St. Petersburg, Moscow, and one day each in the capitals of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia.

B: Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Tulip Fields of Holland

OK so we are doing this planning and trying to figure out what we would see if we went on each itinerary, and it occurred to me that planning travel when you don't want to travel on a bus tour can be a bit challenging. How can one rent a car and drive if they don't speak the language? Can one take a train anywhere or must one hire a private chauffeur for the day to see something?

Now if we go to Luxembourg, there are two castles we want to see that are outside of Luxembourg City - Vianden Castle and Bourscheid Castle. If we were to take the train, would we only be able to see one of these castles per day? Or is it possible to plan a route to include them both? How does one get this information on the web? I have searched and found nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Return to “General Off-Topic”