Magilla's Unsung Musicals

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks. I originally intended to do a write-up on 30, but the first 20 took so much time and space, I had to abandon the others. Maybe another time...
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I didn't comment on it when it came out, but I must congratulate Big Magilla on his wonderful article on unsung musicals. As a former theatre major, acting teacher and unashamed musical theatre obsessionist, you managed to highlight many of my favorite forgotten musicals. Mack and Mabel, La Cage and Shenandoah, I always argue, are the most unfairly forgotten musical masterpieces around (I truly wish we had a revival recording of La Cage with Gary Beach and Robert Goulet). Carnival is another fabulous musical awaiting rediscovery, which plays a special place in my heart as it was the musical my senior year of high school. My wife and I still love putting that CD in occasionally. How Now Dow Jones is another great score you highlighted that I love.

One I would add to the list is It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman. There was a passable revival of it here in Chicago this summer, which highlighted a very amusing book and a really nice score by Strouse and Adams. It's no masterpiece, but for an evening's entertainment (or a 45-minute listen), it is enjoyable.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”