dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Pan's Labyrinth as No. 1
Then Babel, Bobby, Dreamgirls.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So a movie can be over-hyped AFTER its release? New concept, for me.

I take it for granted Jeff Wells is irritating on any subject.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Magilla is right; United 93 has been hyped all year long as the second coming. Which it is not.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

While Babel, Bobby and Dreamgirls have been hyped more in my opinion, United 93 is not this innocent little film that has been allowed to sit there quietly while people discover it for themselves.

It may not have been hyped much prior to its theatrical release but the constant badgering by its advocates ever since has been most annoying. Jeffrey Wells' almost daily chastising of AMPAS members who did not want to play their screener copy during voting season was particularly irksome.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okay, I really think people continue to conflate "overrated" and "overhyped", if they consider United 93 for this designation. I hadn't heard one word about that film until a few weeks before release, and that was because of all those people complaining about seeing coming attractions. This compared to reams written about Dreamgirls, the two Eastwood movies, even The Good Shepherd. How does one come to see it as overhyped?

If you think critics overpraised United 93, it seems to me the way to express that is by voting for it as most over-rated.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:Oh, much as I think Little Children worthless, I can't say it's been overhyped (more like a cause dropped by all except misguided fans). Gotta go with Sunshine.

Eh tu Eric?

I guess there are only a handful of us on this board who liked Little Children. It wasn't a great film - and Field's In the Bedroom is far superior - and it's even bit pretentious at times, but Winslet and Haley made the plights of their characters real and moving for me. Enough so that I can recommend it.

Oh yeah and as for this thread - and with all due respect to Damien - Dreamgirls was clearly the most overhyped film of the year. No question.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

FilmFan720 wrote:Movies are largely a subjective experience, and we all have visceral reactions to a film.

They may be largely a subjective experience, but visceral only from the emotional point of view, FilmFan. And while emotions are important in our private enjoyment of a movie, they aren't necessarily a guarantee of artistic value. A movie which moves us to tears can be a masterpiece - but it can also be absolute trash, and we should have the right distance - after the tears - to rationally see through it and understand if it's really good. I wouldn't want to talk anymore about Dreamgirls, but, to give you an extreme example, if someone says that the film The Wild, Wild World of Jayne Mansfield is a great movie because he had a "visceral reaction to it", well, he's simply, objectively wrong (and an idiot, when it comes to movies). As I have often said, art isn't a totally subjective thing - and Dreamgirls, like it or not, is objectively a big artistic (though maybe not commercial) failure - so much a failure that even the few good things in it, like the Jennifer Hudson number everybody talks about, in THAT context seem out of proportion with the rest of the movie's artistic scale. And they are much less effective for this reason.

And honestly, when you talk about "overhype", Dreamgirls is such a typical example that I'm surprised someone here can have voted for any other movie. You may have liked it - but you can't deny that it was "overhyped".
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Italiano, is it really so astonishing and appalling to you that there are some people out here (like myself, or Damien, or many other members of this board) who genuinely liked Dreamgirls and thought it one of the best movies of the year (although I do have lots more films to see before even trying to make a definitive list)? Movies are largely a subjective experience, and we all have visceral reactions to a film. To you, it was over-hyped and tedious. To me, and many other member of the board, it was fantastic and exciting. Deal with it, and stop treating us like we are idiots for not conforming to your view on all things artistic.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1170008656
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Damien wrote:The funny (or sad) thing about Italiano is that he doesn't realize how self-parodistic he is.
Damien, you have been a master of self-parody, with your blind faith in that movie through all the year, the newspaper articles... I have all to learn from you in this field.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I went with Dreamgirls, too. My reasoning is that it was very likely its campaign oversell that cost it a Best Picture nomination at the Academy Awards. It's a very entertaining film, with good performances and big splashy musical numbers. If it hadn't been pushed to forcefully on voters, it might have gotten the nod. The flip side is that maybe it wouldn't have been quite the box-office draw it became.

Babel is not bad, but it is self-important. It's campaign is probably average for such a film.

Little Miss Sunshine is overhyped, but only because its such a small film. Making it out to be the comedy masterpeice of the decade, even the year, is completely absurd. But it is not quite the most overhyped because it does have a word-of-mouth feel to it.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The funny (or sad) thing about Italiano is that he doesn't realize how self-parodistic he is.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

yea it is no contest...not only on this board but elsewhere as well. The Departed was underhyped before its release.....you didn't know what little miss sunshine was until it was realeased. The only one that could compare to dreamgirls is borat because of all of that crap that we had to put it with when he was promoting the film in the weeks before it. And being overhyped isn't really a bad thing anyway, it usually means money for the film...and dreamgirls and borat benifited.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, but he's right.
"How's the despair?"
112-1041439588

Post by 112-1041439588 »

There is no contest here, of course... Anyone who doesn't vote for you-know-which-movie wasn't here in the last twelve months...

Nice to see you can be rude and insulting in different threads simultaneously.

Too bad Benigni hasn't released a new ''masterpiece''. We could have a lot of fun with you about that.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

There is no contest here, of course... Anyone who doesn't vote for you-know-which-movie wasn't here in the last twelve months...

Return to “2000 - 2007”